• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 Mxplx2

Mxplx2

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: PA USA

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

I received mine three days ago and, it took 6 business days from ordering to my receiving it. It came in good condition and assembled easily. It's definitely a beginner's scope and the instructions make that clear. Meade is not trying to pull a fast one. It's got lots of plastic and is somewhat wobbly, but when the shake stops it gives crisp views.

I loaded the Autostar Suite Astronomer Edition that comes with it, but it only seems to operate in the present time wise, and can't be changed to the future or past. Googling online, I got the impression that the software is used to operate a scope through a computer, and that makes no sense when it came with this scope. (Unless I'm really wrong.)

Why did I buy a beginner's scope? I am a beginner but I'm 70 and can afford to go expensive, but I've read here that those with decades of experience started with minimal equipment, and if they're still at it decades later, that must be the path to follow. Start small and grow.

#52 starcrafter

starcrafter

Vostok 1

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:25 AM

So, my scope has finally arrived! Now, I know basically nothing about refractors, so how would I go about collimating this thing? (The manual is essentially mute on the subject)

#53 StrangeDejavu

StrangeDejavu

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:32 AM

so how would I go about collimating this thing?

The nice thing about refractors is they don't require collimation. :) In 1 year, that scope will likely be as sharp as it is tonight.

#54 starcrafter

starcrafter

Vostok 1

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

That's a bit of a godsend, because I still have some difficulty collimating my XT8 :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

#55 5RNS

5RNS

Lift Off

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:26 PM

Received mine as well. I did get a "it's shipped" email on the same day it arrived.
The mount is as shaky as reported. The red dot finder scope is pretty *BLEEP*. I will have to see if it's worth saving. The scope gives some nice little views especially when using eyepieces from my C8.
It was money well spent in my opinion. The kids love it and have used it nightly since it's arrival. It's nice to have them drag it in the backyard without worries.

#56 starcrafter

starcrafter

Vostok 1

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:47 PM

The equipment curse has nailed me since it arrived. I don't think it's the scopes fault, I blame the TV plossls I have on the way :)

#57 Pastor Collux

Pastor Collux

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

Mine came in yesterday. This was to be my wife's first scope, but she opted for the NexStar 102GT GoTo instead, which was delivered the other day (beautiful scope BTW).

So this little Meade will be tucked safely into its blue Meade Instruments tripod bag and will ride in the trunk as a quick grab and go scope. With any luck, its first light will be Friday's penumbral lunar eclipse.

Clear skies!

#58 starcrafter

starcrafter

Vostok 1

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

Son of a... I wanted to try these scopes before I bought a few of them to make sure they were decent. They seem to be capable performers -- I had mine out under less than stellar conditions, and was able to see the moons of Jupiter. I decided they'd make a great Christmas present for some of my friend's kids... but now the sale is over :(

#59 mwedel

mwedel

Works with Sauropods

• Loc: Claremont, CA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:11 AM

I had the same thought. My son is getting interested in this stuff and today we were looking at various things while he assembles his birthday wish list. I tried to show him this scope but the link to the sale page is dead now, although they still have the scope at regular price on a separate page.

Good thing I already have one stashed in the closet for him! :)

#60 rnc39560

rnc39560

Surveyor 1

• Loc: MS coast

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:48 AM

I missed it too. Checked on it a couple days ago. It was a dead link Friday afternoon. :( Its getting close to Christmas though. There will be a few great deals again!

#61 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

I think this is a terrific buy for someone getting started, as long as they know its limitations.

Shoot, if someone used this just 3 times to look at the moon for 20 minutes, that would be worth 25 bucks alone. For a child that wants to get some lunar views in, this is a great buy.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics