Shopping for a PC Tablet

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Mariner 2

• Loc: Southwestern Indiana

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

I'm also not sure if Southern Stars have a planned patch/fix in the works for a future release.

Southern Stars is planning a major new release sometime "soon". I would not purchase anything but the base version of this until after SS4 is released.

Good point, and by the way I like your signature.
Clear Skies and of course, "Keep looking up!"
Bill

#27 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

I am a total Android FanBoy but my largest concern with the Nexus line and SkySafari is the on screen software based navigation buttons. On most apps they become well hidden in "night" mode due to minimizing down to small dim dots but my experience with my nexus phone and N7 is that with SkySafari in night mode they don't minimize as with other apps.. they actually increase in brightness intensity and cut into your dark adaptation when using it at night. If you plan on using the tablet with an actual red screen filter this probably wouldn't be an issue.

Sean, I'm surprised to hear you say this. We've had code in to minimize the Android "soft" buttons when in night mode for well over a year. Are you sure you had the latest version? I'm sure we would have heard of this if it was a widespread problem. I have a Nexus 7 for testing and the buttons do minimize. Could it be that you had rooted your device and done something that interfered with it?

Please contact me offline if you really think there is a problem.

Bill

#28 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:10 PM

Bill:

Another question:

As I understand it, a major update for the Android version is also in the near future. Since Christmas will mark 2 years since the first version hit the streets, it does make sense for long time users to pay for this major upgrade..

But how about short timers, someone who buys the program today, in two or three months, they may need to buy the new version..

Jon

#29 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Mariner 2

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:22 AM

Bill:

Another question:

As I understand it, a major update for the Android version is also in the near future. Since Christmas will mark 2 years since the first version hit the streets, it does make sense for long time users to pay for this major upgrade..

But how about short timers, someone who buys the program today, in two or three months, they may need to buy the new version..

Jon

Jon:

I copied this from Tech Radar tonight:

Until Android 4.4 was announced we had expected the Android 5.0 release date to be some time in October 2013. We now expect to see Android 4.4 KitKat launch during that month. In the face of that point release, we think it's now likely that we'll see Android 5.0 shown in mid-2014, quite possibly at Google IO, Google's annual two-day developer conference in San Francisco.

Clear skies,
Bill

#30 Sean Wood

Sean Wood

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:30 PM

Bill (thread Opp) If staying up to date on your devices firmware is important, You'll definitely want to go with the Nexus line. The updates for the Android OS come straight from Google. The Nexus line is the "benchmark" device that Android is being developed for so there "should" be fewer possible issues between the software/hardware. If they announce an Android update it is typically available for download within a week if not a few days. Manufacturers like Samsung, Asus and so on have to make tweaks to the OS to get it to play nice with their hardware and software enhancements that "set their devices apart" like say the S-pen and whatnot. This can delay the release weeks and in some cases months. Also, as far as apps that you download in the Google Play Store they are self updating. If you purchase it now and the developer updates it you don't have to pay again for the update. You'd only have to purchase another app if the developer discontinued support for that app and created another one. Plus if you purchase an app for your tablet you will also be able to download it to any other Android devices you may have(phone), as long as you're logged in on the same Google account. The app license is tied to the google account not the device which means if your device bites the dust you can just log in on your new device and reload the app again.

Bill (from Southern Stars) It's been about a yr since my tablet was nabbed. It very well may have been running a previous version that didn't have the nav button fix. It still doesn't minimize them on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus though. I'm running Skysafari version 1.8.2 and stock android 4.2.2. I can send a screen shot and logcat file if you need.

#31 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Mariner 2

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

Nexus 7 II, 32GB, WiFi @ $169.99 and this Phablet is fantastic. It's fast, reliable and just about the perfect size for taking anywhere. I'm quite impressed by the responsiveness and yes, I am a very satisfied fan of my Nexus 7 tablet.

#32 derelicte

derelicte

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:45 AM

I am a total Android FanBoy but my largest concern with the Nexus line and SkySafari is the on screen software based navigation buttons. On most apps they become well hidden in "night" mode due to minimizing down to small dim dots but my experience with my nexus phone and N7 is that with SkySafari in night mode they don't minimize as with other apps.. they actually increase in brightness intensity and cut into your dark adaptation when using it at night. If you plan on using the tablet with an actual red screen filter this probably wouldn't be an issue.

Sean, I'm surprised to hear you say this. We've had code in to minimize the Android "soft" buttons when in night mode for well over a year. Are you sure you had the latest version? I'm sure we would have heard of this if it was a widespread problem. I have a Nexus 7 for testing and the buttons do minimize. Could it be that you had rooted your device and done something that interfered with it?

Please contact me offline if you really think there is a problem.

Bill

After my experiences last night, I'd agree that you have issues with minimizing the soft buttons.

On my nexus 7, you do minimize the buttons most of the time. However I noticed that if the scope control panel is open, the buttons don't always get minimized. Toggling night mode off and on seems to fix this.

However on my nexus 4, the buttons never minimize regardless of what I do. It just doesn't work. :(

#33 derelicte

derelicte

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

Nexus 7 II, 32GB, WiFi @ $169.99 and this Phablet is fantastic. It's fast, reliable and just about the perfect size for taking anywhere. I'm quite impressed by the responsiveness and yes, I am a very satisfied fan of my Nexus 7 tablet.

congrats! that is a great price!

#34 Sean Wood

Sean Wood

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

WOW!!!!.. Where did you find the gen2 Nexus 7 for $169 So that I may procure one for myself...lol

#35 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Mariner 2

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

WOW!!!!.. Where did you find the gen2 Nexus 7 for $169 So that I may procure one for myself...lol

OOPS!!!!!

$269.99

Sorrrrrry about that, however I believe it is worth every penny, I couldn't be happier.
Clear skies,
Bill

#36 derelicte

derelicte

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

that makes more sense. For that price I thought about picking up another.

#37 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Mariner 2

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

that makes more sense. For that price I thought about picking up another.

...got all excited there for a moment, did you?

Well now, I have made my mistake for "this" year.

#38 richard7

richard7

Not Quite

• Moderators
  • Loc: Sacramento

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

Got to admit that was a good mistake. I nearly jumped out of my shoes.

#39 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Mariner 2

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:43 PM

I'm sure SNAFU that crated quit a bit of excitement in the small group of Cloudy Night posters following this thread...

Clear skies to all and of course, "Keep looking up!"
Bill

#40 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: okc area, oklahoma

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:16 PM

I use the Acer Iconia W3 tablet. It runs a full version of windows 8, not just win8 RT. As such, I can run all my old programs. Stellarium, PHD, eqmod and so on all work just fine.

#41 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Mariner 2

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

I purchased SkySafari today and installed on the N7. WOW what a cool piece of technology, it will definitely enhance my observing sessions from here on out. So I took the ST80 out to the front yard at twilight for a short while. Did you know that the same phenomena that produces clouds when you purchase a new scope or piece of astronomy hardware also works for software? I got our moon into focus and noticed a star just to the east of it, fired up the N7 with SkySafari and identified Dabih Major a double star in Capricornus but before I could even attempt to split the two components of Beta Capricorni the clouds rolled in; thick clouds, enormous clouds, lots of clouds. . .
Drat!
Clear skies to the rest of you!
Bill

#42 thebigeast44

thebigeast44

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

http://arstechnica.c...ison-chart-w...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics