• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Justin neg3deg

Justin neg3deg

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Arusha,Tanzania

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:55 AM

What is a good/best software to run the iOptron ZEQ25 from a PC? Once I get the the new mount and scope here (Tanzania) we will be setting it up is a semi-permanent home and would like to control from a laptop. We have a small resort and many guest comment on the dark skies so a semi-permanent setup while I'm not traveling around the bush for work so I can offer them some scope time so they really get to enjoy the skies, and I local school that I volunteer at wants to set up a trip for the school kids.

So I am looking for the best but easiest to use, will mostly be for visual use till I can get a camera setup some day.

#2 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:33 AM

Justin,

Do you have an iPad?

Mike

#3 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:38 AM

I'm sure that some of our Windows users will chime in soon. In the mean time, check this link for some reviews.

#4 Justin neg3deg

Justin neg3deg

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Arusha,Tanzania

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:08 AM

Sorry no ipad. I use Iphone and samsung SIIImini for work,
Was thinking it would be a good idea to go with a PC as even the locals here have used PC where as the apple products are a bit out of the reach of 99% of the population in this part of the world.

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

What's "best"? Anyhow, there is an ASCOM driver for your mount, so I'd start out with Cartes du Ciel (free.

#6 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

What's "best"? Anyhow, there is an ASCOM driver for your mount, so I'd start out with Cartes du Ciel (free.

As Rod said, CdC is free, and iOptron uses it as an example to control a iOptron mount with a PC in their documentation. > http://www.ioptron.c...OM_ iEQ8407.pdf That makes it even easier?

Stellarium also works, but you will need to download the stand alone program 'Stellarium Scope' to use the Z with Stellarium since the resident plug-ins don't work with the ZEQ25.

The Z also works with all the other planetarium programs available to purchase, with the latest version of iOptron's Ascom drivers.

Have a ton of fun under those dark skies,

Paul

#7 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

Yep, Stellarium is great, too, Paul. I'm just sorry the iOptron is not included in its onboard drivers. Setting up Stellarium Scope can be a bit of a pain for new PC - scope users.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics