ZEQ25

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 photobookie

photobookie

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

I'm thinking about getting one of these iOptron mounts and I have a few questions.

1. Has anyone gotten it to work with the SkyX Pro? It's not listed in their drop down menu for choosing a mount (though one of the cubes is).

2. I'd use it for astrophotography with short focal length refractors or dslr camera lenses. Has anyone measured the PE of this mount?

3. Does anyone have images they've made using this mount? If so, would love to have some links.

4. What's the longest unguided exposure one can expect and still have sharp stars?

Thanks! Rick

#2 StrangeDejavu

StrangeDejavu

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

Well, you just asked every question I planned on asking myself. :) The only difference is i'd be using a SW120ED for AP on this mount.

#3 Tony Finnerty

Tony Finnerty

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada City, California

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:30 PM

The ZEQ25 is my first telescope mount. I'm using a 100mm or 200mm lens on a Micro Four Thirds camera until my 4 inch refractor arrives. Learning AP is quite a process. I have been able to capture round stars in unguided 2 minute exposures at 200mm. I've pushed to 5 minutes, at which point the stars become eggy.

The polar alignment routine using the guide scope is very good, as I have now confirmed with drift alignment. I haven't tried to measure periodic error, which could be the cause of my 5-minute eggs. Now that I'm starting to autoguide I expect to get good, longer exposures.

#4 ramasule

ramasule

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

1. Don't know but you can always use ascom drivers, it will work.
2. Yes, it's very good even loaded up to 40 pounds :D check other threads.
3. Check other threads lots of links.
4. Depends on polar alignment, focal length, etc, but I've read people getting 3-5 min. Probably even longer with a dslr.

#5 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

I've gotten nice round stars with unguided 2 minutes subs. Haven't tried longer but others have and results were good. It does depend on the Polar alignment. I check my alignment using the drift method.

Mike

#6 photobookie

photobookie

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

Great, thanks. I don't see Ascom mounts as an option in the SkyX dropdown menu.

#7 photobookie

photobookie

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

Still hoping to find someone who actually uses this mount with the SkyX pro.

#8 ramasule

ramasule

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:38 PM

http://www.bisque.co...SBandASCOM.aspx

#9 Hunlon

Hunlon

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

1. I haven't got TheSkyX Pro. Don't know if it will work. I have SkySafari on MacOS and control the ZEQ25 by selecting the iOptron 8408 controller - there is no specific entry for the ZEQ25.

2. I have measured the PE on my mount - 65 arc secs P-P. It is loaded with a 10kg GSO RC8. I believe this is actually rather high and I should expect sub 30 arc secs. I have just discovered some YouTube videos from Paul Chasse that might help me in this regard. My experience may just be early adopters syndrome.

3. Paul Chasse has posted some excellent images on flickr - astronewb2011. He has an excellent image of the Orion Nebula using a Borg 125 just recently posted.

4. Longest unguided exposure will be determined by your polar alignment. You will, of course, have to take into account the effect of PE and the focal length of your optics. Shorter FL will be less impacted by PE - and for that matter polar alignment.

Hope that helps,
Hunlon.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics