• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#51 kkokkolis

kkokkolis

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Piraeus, Greece

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

A Swiss Army Knife or Swisstool is the only equipment King I recognize.

#52 barasits

barasits

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

Fuel is king.

In my case, no. I'm quite content observing right here at home with SQM readings of averaging 21.50/21.70. I have no desire to observe elsewhere. :)

:waytogo:

Fuel is not king,fuel is cheap...

Time is king... time to observe...

Jon

:waytogo:

I live under heavily light polluted skies, but driving to darker locations is out of the question because I can't afford the time and I'm trying my level best to minimize my carbon footprint. Time is priceless, and the real cost of gasoline is not measured by what you pay at the pump.

Geoff

#53 starrancher

starrancher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:28 PM

A 40 acre patch of Juniper/Pinion at a mile high in the arid climate of Northern Arizona is King !
Bortle One skies . Or some might call it the Black Zone .
Bullets welcome and the carbon footprint is next to nil .
Just look at that CSC !

#54 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:49 PM

"...and the carbon footprint is next to nil"

Until I drive my truck on it, then that footprint gets measured in "carbon acreage". :lol:

Posted Image

- Jim

#55 barasits

barasits

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

5.7L Hemi V8? Jim, you need some carbon offsets to go with it! :lol:

http://www.green-e.o..._products.shtml

Geoff

#56 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

Nah, I was figuring that I could put solar on the pergola in the back yard and then get one of those bumper stickers that says "My other wheel chocks are Toyota Priuses", and still keep my Sierra Club buddies appeased. To be fair, though, my other (commuter) car is a PZEV rated Subaru, and I've owned a couple of hybrids in the last decade, and...and...and...it's a HEMI! :grin: (8 speed 4x4 no less.)

- Jim

#57 izar187

izar187

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:12 PM

Which equipment is king rightly varies from person to person.

I moved years ago from within urban sky glow, specifically to it's south side perimeter.
This yielded significantly better options for observing DSO's crossing the meridian.
Development has expanded in my area certainly, as it has in most places, so I have to go farther afield.
But still less far than if I lived north, east or west.
I chose to go south, because I telescope.
And chose to stay south once more, when I moved again.

Regarding time... well, I take the time to observe from the rest of life.
If you want to go fishing, then you have to go fishing. Same for golf.
I do not live beside water, nor next to a green, nor out under dark sky.
But I live within reach of something darker sky, where I can get better dark adapted.

It is convenient to go there because I am always loaded up and ready to go, with one scope or another.
For me, mobility is pretty much my main king thing regarding gear.
I have chosen to drive four cylinders for decades, so fuel has never been much of an issue.

An honorable mention equipment issue for me, is comfort while observing.
In my case, all my scopes are set up so that I can stand, without stooping when looking through the focuser.
I can sit too, whenever I want, or lean against the back of my chair.
But the option to stand, comfortably at the eyepiece is a biggie, for me.

#58 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:14 AM

I must protest that this thread is hopelessly sexist until we balance it with the question:

"What equipment is QUEEN"? :question:

Queen Elizabeth I was the match of any king...

:grin:

#59 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

Queen Elizabeth I was a man.

:grin:

- Jim

#60 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

I live in the city and refuse to travel to observe - my camera is king from my backyard - it vastly outperforms the eye almost irrespective of aperture or location so I'm in heaven :roflmao:

#61 groz

groz

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Campbell River, BC

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:35 PM

My wife recently got a new job, which entailed moving. The move took us to an area with relatively dark skies compared to what we used to have. We bought a small acerage just out of town, and now live under a bortle 3 sky. It's not as black as some, but, better than most, and as good as we have seen a numerous 'dark sky' astronomy events that were many hours of driving away.

Our view of astronomy has suddenly changed. It used to be we considered it a hobby that included camping etc etc. Now we are planning the roll-off in the back yard, and, no longer have plans to make long drives to attend events for astronomy, altho we may occaisionally head out to an event for the social aspect. the 'big gun' telescopes will stay in the observatory if we go, and we'll just take the little stuff because it's easy to carry and set up.

This is our back yard now, taken on Oct 8 of this year.

http://youtu.be/X6NAcNfrs1U

Location is king, and now that we have a permanent location with a dark sky, our whole view of the hobby has changed.

#62 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

Nice whole-sky video!

I assume those bright flashes illuminating the trees that get less frequent during the later hours are passing car headlights on a nearby road?

I'd say those skies make staying home quite sensible. The observatory will shield you from any local light, including the occasional passing vehicle.

Permanent relocation to darker skies, though, isn't feasible for most observers, and imagine all of the fuel you used to accomplish the move? :lol:

- Jim

#63 Bruce FitzGerald

Bruce FitzGerald

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

Fuel is king?
Nope! Retire and move to a dark sky site in the middle of a mountainous desert. No light pollution, no camping, no travel, no problem! :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

#64 starrancher

starrancher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

Fuel is king?
Nope! Retire and move to a dark sky site in the middle of a mountainous desert. No light pollution, no camping, no travel, no problem! :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

That's what I'm talkin about . :cool:

#65 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:02 PM

Fuel is king?
Nope! Retire and move to a dark sky site in the middle of a mountainous desert. No light pollution, no camping, no travel, no problem!

and no wife... :foreheadslap:

#66 Pete-LH

Pete-LH

Messenger

• Loc: Wilmington, DE

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

In review of all the equipment I have accumulated I would say the most useful has been my observing chair.

That being said I do like doing most of my observing from my back patio even with the neighbors lights of paranoia and living 30 minutes south of Philadelphia. I can still set up strategically and achieve my moments of Zen quite nicely there and have that beverage of choice while watching. Having the facilities nearby as well is a big plus.

I will drive once in a while when I have time but it's more to check out the friends toys and socialize.

#67 carlcat

carlcat

Messenger

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

For me, it's a toss up between dual axis drives and a good astronomy chair. I can't imagine how others do without them. I love looking at the moon, sitting in my chair in back of a refractor, tooling around under high power, gliding over the surface of the moon like I'm in some kind of lunar module......all while in the confines of my back yard. There's so much to see on the moon and I'm so comfortable in my chair that I almost go into a trance observing. It really takes me to another place on so many levels......it's invigorating and relaxing at the same time.
And thanks, Jim B. for all the individual advice you've given me over the years......much appreciated.

#68 Bruce FitzGerald

Bruce FitzGerald

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

What do you mean, no wife? I fired mine ten years ago....but my girlfriend likes the mountains and beautiful downtown Tucson is 40 minutes away (if you drive like she does)!

#69 bhpnbr

bhpnbr

Sputnik

• Loc: DFW, Texas

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

IMHO, a good SAFE observing site is King! It could be your own fenced backyard or a dark sky site a hundred miles away, or the neighbourhood park or parking lot because you live in an apartment.
Considering the essentially nocturnal nature of this hobby, and the unfortunate coincidence with times of heightened criminal activity, having peace of mind that you are safe with your expensive equipment is King.

#70 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

My wife recently got a new job, which entailed moving. The move took us to an area with relatively dark skies compared to what we used to have. We bought a small acerage just out of town, and now live under a bortle 3 sky. It's not as black as some, but, better than most, and as good as we have seen a numerous 'dark sky' astronomy events that were many hours of driving away.

Our view of astronomy has suddenly changed. It used to be we considered it a hobby that included camping etc etc. Now we are planning the roll-off in the back yard, and, no longer have plans to make long drives to attend events for astronomy, altho we may occaisionally head out to an event for the social aspect. the 'big gun' telescopes will stay in the observatory if we go, and we'll just take the little stuff because it's easy to carry and set up.

This is our back yard now, taken on Oct 8 of this year.

http://youtu.be/X6NAcNfrs1U

Location is king, and now that we have a permanent location with a dark sky, our whole view of the hobby has changed.

Wow!

#71 Mirzam

Mirzam

Skylab

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

I think we have a winner!

JimC

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics