• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 WRAK

WRAK

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Vienna, Austria, Europe

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

Fred, Mewlon has gone back due to image shift issue.
Wilfried

#27 Dave Lee

Dave Lee

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Pinehurst, NC USA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:00 PM

FWIW I have just bought (used) a Vixen 140mm NA140SS 'Neo achromat'. See this thread, http://tinyurl.com/ll6fhmu , in this forum for more information.

This is kind of a poor man's Televue in a way. It has an f11'ish (don't know for sure) achromatic objective and a focal reducer in the rear (built in) that brings the optical train down to f5.7. From a visual optical performance perspective it has many of the characteristics of a longer fl achromat but in a smaller package.

I honest did not chose this scope because I felt it was the best choice for me. I have become convinced that 'the best choice' for me is right now indeterminate. I wouldn't know it if I saw it (or in the case of a 175mm AP Starfire couldn't afford it). And this (used) scope was a very good price and I think that I can recover my investment if/when I decide to experiment.

Scope is (literally) in the mail.

dave

A short first light review can be found here (Refractor forum).

http://www.cloudynig...ber=6150495&...

dave

#28 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:00 PM

About Royce DKs. I have the first of the 8 in. scopes. Excellent optics and easy to collimate. I wouldn't know about 'refractor-like' views, but I can capture double images down down to 1" with a video camera. That takes good optics.

Ed

#29 fred1871

fred1871

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

Ed, thanks for your very positive comments about Royce DKs. "Easy to collimate" is a definite plus as well. I'd recently asked Anthony Wesley about his experience with Royce mirrors, which he uses for his outstanding planetary imaging, and he was also very positive about Royce optical quality. Looks like a good option for doubles.

#30 drollere

drollere

Surveyor 1

• Loc: sebastopol, california

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

(PM sent.)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics