• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 opticsguy

opticsguy

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Washington State

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

I was planning to purchase an AZ EQ6 mount in late winter/early spring - 2014. Some recent changes in plans takes me to China this winter and was curious about the possibility for purchasing this mount with any significant savings. Anyone here with FIRST_HAND knowledge about how this could be done? And would it be worthwhile?

#2 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

You'd pay a huge premium on excess baggage, unless your employer is paying for that.

Also, unless you speak Chinese, you would be unlikely to get a good deal. Also remember that the quality control for products going to the west are different from that for local consumption.

But, I would suggest contact Peter Lee (the tan14 dealer) who is Hong Kong based. He might be able to help you, since he is an amateur astronomer himself.

#3 Frank @ Van

Frank @ Van

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

You can find every thing here www.taobao.com.

Frank

#4 RichardHK

RichardHK

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Hong Kong

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

Times have changed. It is probably cheaper to buy anything through any of your US suppliers than buy over here. I am in Hong Kong and prices are either the same or a little more. China prices on taobao.com are often more.

Same logic applies to anything else, TVs. whatever, these days. Suggest you enjoy your China break - hopefully well away from the horrific air pollution in Beijing and many other major cities.

Someone from mainland China may know of a cheap supply, but what a hassle it could be for you. Account for your lost time and carrying back costs!

#5 opticsguy

opticsguy

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Washington State

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:18 AM

Most likely I will be purchasing here in US (or possibly in Vancouver CAN), was just exploring my options. My trip to China is meeting my GF who was living in Vancouver.

The taobao website is all chinese cant read anything and looks like they sell dresses and almost everything. OK, just now did a search (in english and it works) The AZ EQ6 is 12500RMB which equals $2042. so that pretty much answers that.

#6 leexeen

leexeen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Beijing, China

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:32 AM

Never buy any astro-gear in Taobao. Most of them are over priced.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics