• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 wavecloud

wavecloud

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

Hey
What's a good floor material for a 10x10 ibs kn a budget?
I could probably figure this out myself by looking at various things other obs owners have done, but I like a direct question here :rainbow:

#2 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:16 PM

Wavecloud ,hello. You have or are planning to build a wood framed OBS correct? This is my opinion now yet if you are looking for and speaking about finishing materials, I would suggest level loop carpet like is used in commercial building like apartment hallways.
It is a very tight loop and cleans easily. It can be either glued down at the perimeter if placed properly so as to be easily removed or replaced or you could just staple the edges down.
Level loop carpet is a fairly inexpensive floor covering and easier on the feet that just the wood sub floor painted.

#3 Scott Horstman

Scott Horstman

Vendor - Backyard Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: Here, There and Everywhere

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

A lot of folks use these http://www.sears.com...mats home depot They're quite forgiving when a Nagler hits the floor, besides being comfortable to stand on for a long viewing session. Because you're always tracking stuff in to the obs on your feet, they clean easy as all you have to do is pull up the floor on occasion and brush it off or just shop vac it.

Indoor/outdoor carpet is good too but don't get cheap stuff because it doesn't last.

#4 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:09 AM

I used these, they work great. Great price too. Bought a couple extra packages just in case I ever needed to replace a tile. They've been in place for over five years and still look great.

http://www.harborfre...-set-94635.html

#5 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:18 AM

I use rubberized tiles. They float so they are relatively easy to install. Feel nice on the feet. However, I am using them on a plywood deck so they may have different utility if you have a concrete pad.

#6 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

I use carpet...(purchased dirt cheap) as a left over piece from a carpet installer.. Those rubber tiles work
well as mentioned...

Bob G

#7 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

I use indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Depot. I really like it, easy to keep clean. I'm sitting at the scope most of the time, so comfort isn't that important to me with the floor. This is over a plywood floor.

You can see a little of the floor in this photo. I also made the little "step" using some of the left-over carpet, to use when I need a little more height at the eyepiece.

I installed the carpet myself, stapling around the edges. It will be very easy to remove and use something else if I want to.

The wood trim around the wall hides red ropelight, on a dimmer.

Attached Files

#8 Lorence

Lorence

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:13 PM

Plywood Floor? Paint it. That will keep the dust down. Keep a lookout for some used carpet.

It's an observatory not a dinning room. :)

#9 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: 16 miles south of the Buckfield Mall

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

The floor of my 8x10 ror is 1X10 rought cut topped with a layer of roofing paper and then a layer of 5/8 osb and some left over Burber carpet. Rather homey and very drop friendly and vibrations settle quickly. My scopes are tripod mounted so that means at lot to me.
Be Well
Grey

#10 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Page ,AZ

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

I used Marine Indoor-Outdoor carpet left over from when we built House Boats ,

Attached Files

#11 BYoesle

BYoesle

Aurora

• Loc: Goldendale, Washington USA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:28 PM

It's an observatory not a dinning room.

:foreheadslap:

Indoor/outdoor carpet is good too but don't get cheap stuff because it doesn't last.

I initially chose indoor/outdoor carpet, and indeed I am using it in the warm room. But for the entry and observing floor, the local Home Depot had click-lock laminate on sale for 67 cents a square foot (the carpet was over $1.20/sq ft), so I couldn't resist... no gluing and easier to install. And it is very resilient -- but being exposed so openly to the environment, I mostly wanted to keep dust and dirt accumulation to a minimum, and it should be easy to mop and clean.

Some of the mats described above will work nicely spaced around the telescope piers, while maintaining dust abatement and ease of cleaning...

Attached Files

#12 BYoesle

BYoesle

Aurora

• Loc: Goldendale, Washington USA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

Entry into the observatory, also showing warm room with carpeting.

Attached Files

#13 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

I painted my floor. Looks good, cleans up easily enough :) Probably not the softest.

#14 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central Ct

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

I use interlocking rubber tiles, but static build up is a problem, I make sure to touch the pier before my laptop or mount.

#15 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

I used Marine Indoor-Outdoor carpet left over from when we built House Boats ,

Access hatches....inset stainless ring pulls....yep, boatbuilder for sure......

Mine is tongue-and-groove pine boards......
Nice thing about using t&g lumber is it comes in 10'(also 8', 12', 14', 16') pieces.....so no end joints in the surface..... check your local lumber yard, not the big-box, for availability and pricing. Often, it's cheaper than 3/4 ply, especially t/g underlayment.

Also, if you're looking for a really rugged floor, 2x6 tongue-and-groove is available....

R

#16 thesungazer

thesungazer

Sungazer

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:21 AM

I did the same as Carol. Cheap Home Depot indoor/outdoor over plywood. Easy to install and clean.

Greg

Attached Files

#17 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

Greg, I'm still going to "borrow" your desk idea! I love it!

#18 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

Yeah, the desk is terrific! Great idea.

#19 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

I avoided carpet because in the desert we have lots of dust and sand blowing aroind, and I did not want to have to vacuum it on every visit. I used no-glue flooring from Home Depot. Just cut out a big square of it to fit, cut a hole for the pier, and lay it down.

Alex

#20 avarakin

avarakin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:43 PM

I bought 8x12 sheet of vinyl from HD. They have large selection of them for somewhere around $50.
It was 5 minutes job to put it in place and it is very easy to clean. So far I am very happy with it.

Alex

#21 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:25 AM

Yeah, flooring places often have short pieces left on rolls that they will sell cheap to get rid of them, because they are too small to fit any home installs.
A trick for vinyl, if you have the space, is to unroll it, and let it sit around several days flat before you try to install it. You'll probably have to weight the edges at first.... You don't have to glue it, you can hold it down with baseboard and a door strip.....
R

#22 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

>>>>>You don't have to glue it, you can hold it down with baseboard and a door strip.....

Or guerilla tape.....(two sided tape made specially for this purpose)

A;ex

#23 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

>>>>guerilla tape

"Gorilla" tape, you silly.

Alex

#24 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

I like the Spanish version... ;)

#25 Tori

Tori

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Somerville, MA/Warren, NH

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

I use interlocking rubber tiles, but static build up is a problem, I make sure to touch the pier before my laptop or mount.

I really wish I had seen this post before buying my rubber tiles, I have an awful static problem now too. Not sure what, if anything, I can do about it other than use different flooring. I'm going to try a couple cans of static guard and see if that works... I just hate the smell.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics