CGEM Synchronization?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ZeusB

ZeusB

Vostok 1

• Loc: Chicago

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

I'm a novice owner of a CGEM mount, and so far like it very much. I brought it to a star party a couple weekends ago, and was asked a question that I hope someone out there can help me with.

Once I got it polar aligned and had 3 calibration stars entered, it located objects pretty well. Some objects were dead center, some slightly off center, but everything in the field of view.

Someone stopped by and asked me if I could sync each slewed object to the center of the FOV to make each slew more accurate. I did not know how - or IF - I could do this.

Does anyone know if this is possible with a CGEM?

I know I should re-read the manual, but I hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. Thanks.

#2 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

"Precise Goto" function in the HC will take you to a bright star near your target. You center the star and then the mount slews to your target with much more accuracy.

Stan

#3 gmartin02

gmartin02

Viking 1

• Loc: Santa Clarita, CA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

You may also get better pointing accuracy if you use an "illuminated reticle" eyepiece to do the initial alignment with - that way you don't have to guess where the exact middle of the eyepiece is when aligning on each alignment star.

#4 qsipiMcKenna

qsipiMcKenna

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: MK, UK.

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

Hi ZeusB.
I also have a CGEM but I don't think you can sync on each star you center. I believe on the Skywatcher Synscan, you can sync on about 80 stars to get a good spread across the sky. Maybe the people you spoke to thought the CGEM could do the same.
CS, Tony.

#5 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

What I do is press alignment. Then scroll do down to sync.
Then I press enter. Next it tells me to center star or object in the finder scope and them press enter. Then it will tell me to center object in the eyepiece and press
align. Of course I do this after a 4 star alignment.
I've never did the Precision Goto and I suspect it will be better. I will try it next time. Live and Learn. De Lorme
De Lorme

#6 Jason B

Jason B

Proud father of 5!!

• Loc: Mid-Michigan

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

I like the precise goto for imaging. I know then that the object will be centered on the chip.

For visual, the CGEM works great putting the objects near the center of the FOV at moderate powers every time.

#7 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

I like the precise goto for imaging. I know then that the object will be centered on the chip.

That is the exact purpose of "Precise GoTo". I find that it works very well.

Stan

#8 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

Turn on precise GOTO.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics