Has anyone tried this?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

...Using an Orion Skyglow or Celestron UHC-S on Jupiter?

I have tried using my Orion Ultrablock and while it does enhance the belts a lot, it renders the planet too dim, so I figured maybe trying the Orion Skyglow or Celestron UHC-S on Jupiter to see how it would work. I *know* a planetary filter would be the obvious choice for enhancing / blocking certain colors, I was just curious to know if anybody has tried this.

If you have what did you find?

PS: What is the bandpass of each? (I just wondered for brightness purposes).

#2 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

• Loc: SE USA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

Celestron UHC/LPR (Baader UHC-S) bandpass:

Attached Files

#3 BoldAxis1967

BoldAxis1967

Ranger 4

• Loc: Kentucky

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

I have used the Baader Moon and Skyglow filter (Neodymium). According to the Transmission spectrum curve there are three main wavelength ranges of high (about 85-95%) transmission: 410-500 nm; 560 nm; 610-690 nm. (This spectrum I read off of the graph posted at Eyepieces etc.)

I have used it only on Jupiter and Saturn. I thought it improved contrast by about 10% with very, very little dimming.

Below is a summary of my experiences 2 nights- mornings ago between 3:30 and 5:30 using my ES127 ED triplet while viewing Jupiter:

I thought that with the filter the bands looked sharper and with more contrast between 4:00 and 4:30. Magnification was at 190. I could tell the seeing was above average as I was playing with filters and EPs. Then between 5:00 and 5:30 and without the filter the seeing went (in my opinion) from above average to excellent or at least the best I have ever seen of Jupiter. There was significant clarity and detail within Jupiter’s bands that I had never seen before. (I have only been at this for 1.5 yrs.) The magnification was at 272.

The scope had been out for over two hrs. Was the improvement due to the scope finally cooling and therefore being stable? Or, was it just that the atmosphere was steady? Would the filter have brought even improved visual images at 272x? I have no answer to any of these questions. I had thought at the time to insert the filter but I did not want to change anything and I was partly stunned and could not move from the EP.

My hunch is that the Baader Moon and Skyglow filter can improve contrast only slightly (but it is noticeable), but that conditions are more important.

LB

#4 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cloudy East Coast

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

I used to use the Baader M&SG on Jupiter and Saturn on a regular basis. It enhances overall contrast well. The best filter for these planets, IMO. And it works well for the Moon too.

I had tried the 1000 Oaks LP-2 (same as UHC) on Jupiter and came approximately to the same conclusions like you. Yes, it increases the EBs contrast significantly, but the trade off isn't that exciting because it dims everything significantly eating the fine details. May be in larger Dobs it's different, but I can't speak for.

P.S. I forgot to mention. I've also tried the Celestron OIII filter on Jupiter. Even worse than the UHC, it's too aggressive and knocking down even more light.

#5 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:26 PM

Vlad, I have the longpass filter and it's very good on DSO.
I ordered the M&SG should be here next Tuesday. Hope the two
together will take away the yellow on the Moon while keeping
the contrast and sharpness. Check out Russels23 thread "CA
Reduction filters". The Longpass is becoming hard to find.
I got mine from Amazon. De Lorme

#6 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

When I owned a Meade LX200 12", I used a Meade Sky Glow filter on it all the time from my suburban backyard. It always seemed to improve the views.
Rex

#7 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

Rex, Do you think the Meade and SKy Glow will take away the yellow of the Longpass? De Lorme

#8 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

Don't quite know how to answer that? but the views always seemed very neutral in color.
Rex

#9 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:35 PM

Rex,
Sorry, I meant do you think the Moon and Sky Glow will take away the yellow the Longpass brings when viewing the Moon?
I have a Moon and Sky Glow on it's way so I'll know soon.
De Lorme

#10 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:47 PM

I did a lot of lunar viewing with that setup and never remember any yellow in the views, although on the moon I had to use a polorized neutral density filter to reduce the brightness.
Rex

#11 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:30 AM

Rex, Just to make sure were on the same page; Where you using the Longpass coupled to the Moon and Sky Glow? I get
yellow with the Longpass{not bad though} which is why I
bought the Moon and Sky Glow to remove it. The first time
I looked at the Moon with the Longpass it was almost set but
the craters and mountain ranges looked so much sharper and
much better contrast. Buy one you won't be sorry!
The stars are much tighter with no dimming. Read Russles23
review "CA Reduction". It's what made me buy both filters. So glad I did. De Lorme

#12 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

DeLorme,
What is a long pass filter and who makes it?
Rex

#13 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for the good info Jarrod, BoldAxis1967, CeleNoptic. I may just pick up a couple of planetary filters instead.

#14 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

DeLorme,
What is a long pass filter and who makes it?
Rex

That's what I was wondering. I've owned about 85 filters over the years and have never heard of that one. Maybe DeLorme's name for a filter that's better known by another name? Or a term that isn't used so often in amateur astronomy?

Mike

#15 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

He obviously means a broadband filter!!! LOL

#16 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

Not so obviously. And not exactly. But maybe you can explain it to us, Markus. :ubetcha:

Mike

#17 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cloudy East Coast

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:41 PM

Vlad, I have the longpass filter and it's very good on DSO.
I ordered the M&SG should be here next Tuesday. Hope the two
together will take away the yellow on the Moon while keeping
the contrast and sharpness. Check out Russels23 thread "CA
Reduction filters". The Longpass is becoming hard to find.
I got mine from Amazon. De Lorme

Hi De Lorme,
I'm not quite follow what you've said, but I guess it was about the reduction of CA in achromats. If you noticed, I was talking about my results on the DSO filters (UHC and OIII) on the planets in my Dobsonian reflector. It's totally different, I don't have any CA and tried it just in attempt to further boost the contrast.

As for the Baader M&SG, it's good only on the M42 and the planets. Well, actually you can observe the Orion Nebula in the 8" Dob without any filters at all :grin:. Otherwise, I use only the UHC and OIII filters for most of DSOs, because the Baader M&SG is practically useless for them.

#18 Lamb0

Lamb0

Vanguard

• Loc: South Eastern(ish) Nebraska

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:16 AM

:ubetcha: Yes, it's an interesting effect. The DGM NPB as well as other filters can also deliver an interesting enhancement of Jupiter as well. I preferred my friend's NPB to my UHC, but I didn't think the line filters were as effective. Try what filters you have to discover what works best for you. YMWV :cool:

#19 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

As for the Baader M&SG, it's good only on the M42 and the planets. Well, actually you can observe the Orion Nebula in the 8" Dob without any filters at all :grin:. Otherwise, I use only the UHC and OIII filters for most of DSOs, because the Baader M&SG is practically useless for them.

Yes, despite the name, the Baader Moon & SkyGlow is best for planets, not so much for DSO or even lunar. It is a planet contrast filter. The various OIII, UHC, H-Beta and Broadband filters are best for DSO. I've tried OIII and UHC at one time or another for planet/lunar but the results were not good.

Mike

#20 Lew Zealand

Lew Zealand

Apollo

• Loc: Pasadena, CA

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

I do something similar for Mars. I use a 10 year old Lumicon UHC filter, from the era with a decent red bandpass, and it gives a big contrast improvement with minimal overall color shift. The big drawback is that you have to view Mars in the center of the FOV or it exhibits a positional shifting of the red and green parts of the image and results in a smeared look. Tracking scopes only need apply.

BTW this doesn't work at all with an Orion Ultrablock as it has no red bandpass.

#21 Eric63

Eric63

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I found that introducing either the M&SG or the Contrast Booster filter degraded the image somewhat.

Eric

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics