3 replies to this topic

#1 kcb

kcb

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: georgian bay,ontario

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:54 AM

hi
can any owners of the vixen vmc 260l describe the quality of visual observations through the scope ? thanks,kevin

#2 Larry Carlino

Larry Carlino

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

Kevin,
I've owned a Vixen VMC260L for a couple of years and have found it to be an excellent telescope. Stellar images are razor sharp, and the scope delivers a wealth of high-contrast planetary detail. I've taken the Vixen to a number of star parties and outreach events, and it never fails to impress the viewers. At one event, several non-astronomers remarked that the view of Saturn was better with the Vixen than with our club's excellent C14. The diffraction spikes from the spider can be a distraction for some observers, but they cease to be an issue in lunar and planetary observing. The light weight of the VMC260 allows it to be mounted on a CG-5 equatorial with reasonable damping time; I can carry the entire mount and scope assembly a few dozen yards without having to separate components. Light grasp and magnitude penetration is better than expected because of the dielectric coated mirrors. There is a tiny bit of image shift when focusing, but, overall, the scope is well made and a lot of fun to use. In head-to-head shoot-outs, it outperforms both a good 10" Dob and Meade 10" SCT.

Larry

#3 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

Hi Larry,

I have heard others give very favorable reviews of this Vixen scope. When you had the shoot out with the Meade 10, did that scope have the UHTC coatings?

Bill

#4 kcb

kcb

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: georgian bay,ontario

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

thanks larry , i am considering one for visual use,your comments have helped,kevin

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics