•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

anyone own a vixen vmc 260l

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kcb

kcb

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: georgian bay,ontario

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:54 AM

hi
can any owners of the vixen vmc 260l describe the quality of visual observations through the scope ? thanks,kevin

#2 Larry Carlino

Larry Carlino

Lift Off

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

Kevin,
I've owned a Vixen VMC260L for a couple of years and have found it to be an excellent telescope. Stellar images are razor sharp, and the scope delivers a wealth of high-contrast planetary detail. I've taken the Vixen to a number of star parties and outreach events, and it never fails to impress the viewers. At one event, several non-astronomers remarked that the view of Saturn was better with the Vixen than with our club's excellent C14. The diffraction spikes from the spider can be a distraction for some observers, but they cease to be an issue in lunar and planetary observing. The light weight of the VMC260 allows it to be mounted on a CG-5 equatorial with reasonable damping time; I can carry the entire mount and scope assembly a few dozen yards without having to separate components. Light grasp and magnitude penetration is better than expected because of the dielectric coated mirrors. There is a tiny bit of image shift when focusing, but, overall, the scope is well made and a lot of fun to use. In head-to-head shoot-outs, it outperforms both a good 10" Dob and Meade 10" SCT.

Larry

#3 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Gemini

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

Hi Larry,

I have heard others give very favorable reviews of this Vixen scope. When you had the shoot out with the Meade 10, did that scope have the UHTC coatings?

Bill

#4 kcb

kcb

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: georgian bay,ontario

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

thanks larry , i am considering one for visual use,your comments have helped,kevin

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics