Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 Skunky

Skunky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

APCC will cost $250. So, most likely the Pro version will be an addition.

Corrent for the standard version. The standard version price is already on the A-P website.

My understanding is that the killer feature is a Pro Track like capability.

Not sure I'd pay 500 bucks for it though. No idea how much APCC Pro will cost. And you need the Pro version to get the unguided tracking feature...

True, especially when you already spent the $400+ for the full skyx package and subscriptions. Still probably worth it.

With that said, I'd really really like to know if I build a pointing model, with APCC, that it will fall in the correct path of connectivity with all of my software, like The Sky and CCD Auto Pilot to allow me to have amazing pointing, and tracking while automated.

APCC will be an ASCOM hub and support the use of virtual com ports. APCC would be your main connection to your mount, then all your other software would connect to the virtual com ports created by APCC. This allows multiple connections to the mount. Nexremote for Celestron mounts has this feature.

Us users with the 1600 and encoders would really like some sort of wireless hand controller support. The encoders gto box has to plug into the hand controller port and we loose the use of the hand controller. Do you know how hard it is to try and line up a star going back and forth to the eyepiece then the PC to move the mount?! :tonofbricks:

#27 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

APCC will cost $250. So, most likely the Pro version will be an addition.

Corrent for the standard version. The standard version price is already on the A-P website.

My understanding is that the killer feature is a Pro Track like capability.

Not sure I'd pay 500 bucks for it though. No idea how much APCC Pro will cost. And you need the Pro version to get the unguided tracking feature...

True, especially when you already spent the $400+ for the full skyx package and subscriptions. Still probably worth it.

With that said, I'd really really like to know if I build a pointing model, with APCC, that it will fall in the correct path of connectivity with all of my software, like The Sky and CCD Auto Pilot to allow me to have amazing pointing, and tracking while automated.

APCC will be an ASCOM hub and support the use of virtual com ports. APCC would be your main connection to your mount, then all your other software would connect to the virtual com ports created by APCC. This allows multiple connections to the mount. Nexremote for Celestron mounts has this feature.

Us users with the 1600 and encoders would really like some sort of wireless hand controller support. The encoders gto box has to plug into the hand controller port and we loose the use of the hand controller. Do you know how hard it is to try and line up a star going back and forth to the eyepiece then the PC to move the mount?! :tonofbricks:

Skunky,

I've had about a dozen nights since I've set up the encoders in my mount, and it always nails the object near the middle of the chip every time. I remember with my 1200 having to go through manual alignments/sync but not with this thing.
I power on the mount and encoder box, connect to the mount via The Sky X, connect the APAE Utility V1.1. Slew to a target. I have the AP V2 driver getting time from the computer, and I always check the time via the internet source.

Hopefully you can get that sorted out, because it sounds a bit tedious compared to my experience. I know when I first looked at the wiring diagram for the 1600 with AE, I though 'oh great, no keypad for alignment'. Well I don't miss it at all!!!

Regarding the PEMPro that is supplied with the 1600....this is right off of the printed label in the CD case "PEMPro v.2.x Full Version!". Also on the back of the jewel case is a stuck on label with "PEMPro V2-Full License" with the 30 digit key code.

#28 Skunky

Skunky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

#29 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

Skunky, are you referring to the very first time you set it up? Are you in a permanent set up, or are you setting up each time?

#30 Skunky

Skunky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:25 AM

first time setup in a perm location

#31 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

I've been asking them if any mount modeling can make it into the CP3 for onboard pointing. I'd think it was freaking awesome if I could move my Mach 1 GTO to a new spot (which happens every single time it is powered on) and be able to get some decent performance. I don't get specific answers to that question, and since I have no hope whatsoever for a fixed site dark enough to bother with, I'm a frustrated AP user.

-Rich

#32 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western North America

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

I've been asking them if any mount modeling can make it into the CP3 for onboard pointing. I'd think it was freaking awesome if I could move my Mach 1 GTO to a new spot (which happens every single time it is powered on) and be able to get some decent performance. I don't get specific answers to that question, and since I have no hope whatsoever for a fixed site dark enough to bother with, I'm a frustrated AP user.

-Rich

My Mach1 goes through the same setup, tear down and move procedures as does yours and I have absolutely NO problems with reasonable pointing accuracy (in a low power eyepiece or on the CCD chip) once I have decently polar aligned. I sincerely doubt the current keypad will ever have the capability to do what you ask.

#33 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:17 AM

-Rich

As you are always moving your mount, I'm not sure what modeling could be input into the Control Panel that would improve on what they already programmed. Being able to run "Roland's iterative alignment" procedure should minimize your pointing issues.

#34 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:53 AM

I think I've figured out the problem- I am slightly too far forward on the OTA of the AP130EDFGT, where the radius leading into the ramp up isn't obvious, but apparently it takes it slightly out of orthogonality with the mount if part of this area ends up in the tube ring. And at that point, the AP alignment routines completely collapse- as the manual semi-helpfully says, you will never converge, no matter what you do. Anyway, I'll just have to scoot the OTA forward- not so good for balance with that heavy cell in front, but the mount will work. I have had a couple of sessions where the Mach 1 GTO was a dream, and for each of those two where it just won't do anything. So, I think I know why, now.

And it'd never have come up if it had a CGEM's ability to measure its internal orthogonality and correct for it.

-Rich

#35 Ray Gralak

Ray Gralak

Vendor (PEMPro)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:41 AM

Looking at how companies get universally panned on this website when they release products and they still have bugs, do you blame Ray for wanting his releases to be as close to perfect as possible? I would certainly take my time...

I purchased PEMPro 2 because it was announced that version 3 was coming soon and I will get it for free. This was on 31 Dec 2011. There is a point where delays become excesive and beyond reasonable expectations off delays to get it right. If we were not a tollerent lot with a sense of humor we would be screaming false advertising. The least Ray could have done was send an appology to all buyers who purchased while that advert was up. Anyway, I am only mildy annoyed and poking a bit of fun at the delay is only fair game after almost 2 yearsof waiting

I don't usually follow cloudynights any more but after a private email from someone I decided to take a peak at a few threads, this being one of them.

Hilmi, I did post an apology for the PEMPro V3 delay and explanation on the PEMPro forum.

I am sorry it has taken so long to get PEMPro V3 out but I too was counting on AP to launch APCC two years ago, thus freeing me to work on PEMPro V3. Unfortunately there were a few issues uncovered in the, then new, AP firmware that had caused the delay. The firmware issues were hard to find and fix, and required extensive testing... more rigorous testing than had ever been done on an AP mount. Plus even more features were added to the firmware to more tightly integrate APCC with the mount and to improve performance and APCC's feature set going forward. The new firmware so far seems to be bulletproof so I think the wait will be worth it. Also, along the way APCC has gained additional slew-safety features and a new program (Horizons, which can track comets and asteroids). There will be more features to come for sure.

That said, since APCC is nearing launch I have been working on PEMPro V3 again. I don't want to make any promises but the PEMPro V3's launch is not *that* far away. You will get a free upgrade to V3 but in the mean time I believe V2 is very capable.

-Ray

p.s. I'm not planning on monitoring this thread so send me a private message if you need to ask me a question.

#36 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural Nova Scotia

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

Earlier in this thread it was stated the version of PEMPro that came with the AP1600 mount was not fully featured.

I since have taken delivery of a 1600 and the CD states "PEMPRro v.2.x Full Version!" (Their exclamation point, not mine.) See image.

Attached Files

#37 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

AP had the public beta signing sheet out at ASAE. That would appear to be imminent.

-Rich

#38 Bill Lee

Bill Lee

Sputnik

• Loc: Massacusetts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

I still haven't seen anything on this. When will APCC be released?

#39 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western North America

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:20 PM

I still haven't seen anything on this. When will APCC be released?

Right when it is released. Roland said that they have been hammering on it rigorously lately to see if they could shake out any more bugs. Sounds like it will finally hit the street pretty soon.

#40 Edd Weninger

Edd Weninger

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

Roland also clearly stated that weather conditions that permitted careful testing were an issue that Howard was having problems fixing ;-)

#41 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:36 PM

Looking at how companies get universally panned on this website when they release products and they still have bugs, do you blame Ray for wanting his releases to be as close to perfect as possible? I would certainly take my time...

I purchased PEMPro 2 because it was announced that version 3 was coming soon and I will get it for free. This was on 31 Dec 2011. There is a point where delays become excesive and beyond reasonable expectations off delays to get it right. If we were not a tollerent lot with a sense of humor we would be screaming false advertising. The least Ray could have done was send an appology to all buyers who purchased while that advert was up. Anyway, I am only mildy annoyed and poking a bit of fun at the delay is only fair game after almost 2 yearsof waiting

I don't usually follow cloudynights any more but after a private email from someone I decided to take a peak at a few threads, this being one of them.

Hilmi, I did post an apology for the PEMPro V3 delay and explanation on the PEMPro forum.

I am sorry it has taken so long to get PEMPro V3 out but I too was counting on AP to launch APCC two years ago, thus freeing me to work on PEMPro V3. Unfortunately there were a few issues uncovered in the, then new, AP firmware that had caused the delay. The firmware issues were hard to find and fix, and required extensive testing... more rigorous testing than had ever been done on an AP mount. Plus even more features were added to the firmware to more tightly integrate APCC with the mount and to improve performance and APCC's feature set going forward. The new firmware so far seems to be bulletproof so I think the wait will be worth it. Also, along the way APCC has gained additional slew-safety features and a new program (Horizons, which can track comets and asteroids). There will be more features to come for sure.

That said, since APCC is nearing launch I have been working on PEMPro V3 again. I don't want to make any promises but the PEMPro V3's launch is not *that* far away. You will get a free upgrade to V3 but in the mean time I believe V2 is very capable.

-Ray

p.s. I'm not planning on monitoring this thread so send me a private message if you need to ask me a question.

Hi Ray, thanks for joining in on the discussion.
I for one do understand how difficult it is to split your time and try to get two things ready at once.
I would prefer to have a product that is fully tested compared to one that I am a beta tester of sorts.
Blueman

#42 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:34 PM

"I would prefer to have a product that is fully tested compared to one that I am a beta tester of sorts.
Blueman"

Amen! I want time at the scope to be spent IMMERSED with the EP and not distracted because of buggy software or mount issues.

As for APCC...I wait. patiently. And will update my chip once it is released.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics