Mach One questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

I'm giving serious thought to this mount, and have a few questions. Can some one compare the size / bulk of this mount as compared to a classic CGE mount. The largest scope I might every put on it would be a EDGE C11 with full imaging train, and guide scope. Does this put me over? I'm afraid a 900 is out as a Mach One already puts me into over budget stratosphere. My only other choice would be to wait it out for a EQ8 that may never show. And then hope I get a good one.

My other concern is theft. MY Observatory faces the street, so is far from hidden. I live in a fairly safe semi rural area, but with the economic down turn, theft is up, and I did have a chain saw, and weed eater stolen off the front porch. The only thing that really stays out in the Observatory is the mount. I tend to bring the rest on the goodies into the house during the work week, and especially during the summer down time (Florida you see).

#2 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

The Mach 1 can handle a legitimate 45 pound load for imaging and if you have it mounted on a permanent pier, it might be able to handle more.

I used a C11 Edge on mine with my Eagle pier and it worked great (visual only), so even if you add a guide scope and a CCD, you should be fine.

Sorry to hear about your neighborhood. Have you considered a burglar alarm for your observatory?

Cheers,

Ron

#3 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

According to Howard at AP, the Mach 1 can easily handle the C11. After that it just depends on how much other stuff you have hanging off it. I wouldn't be too worried, BUT there are some awesome used 900 deals popping up. If I were still looking for my Mach 1, I'd take a hard look a a used 900.

For theft, just make sure you have good locks and a strong door. Then some sort of motion alarm would probably help. I never used one, but I always thought that one of those wire sirens would work well if you attached it to the mount. Then if someone tries to remove it, the alarm goes off. Like big box electronics stores have.

#4 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:24 PM

When I bought my Mach1 I was in the same quandary. I almost ordered the 900 but then portability made me choose the Mach1, it wasn't really a matter of cost. I paired it with the RM tripod.
If you have an observatory the 900 GTOCP3 would be an excellent alternate. Like Adam pointed out there are some excellent deals popping up all the time on the used market. I think you will be fine with C11 because of it's limited moment arm. I used to image with the AT10RC which was about 38lbs with the CCD etc... and the Mach1 handled that with ease. The C11 if probably similar in size/weight to the 10"RC.

There is a used 900 with the ATS pier for 7.2K on the other site....that is less than a Mach1/tripod or pier/Weights/RAPAS.

#5 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

The AP900 is not really hard to transport or setup. The two parts are not very heavy. I set mine up each time I use it. No problems and I am not a young man anymore.
Blueman

#6 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

I actually have a picture of the two side by side...a little distortion from depth but at least it's real. Of the two, the Mach1 immediately proved the more capable for imaging - acid test was the TEC APO160ED ;)

Attached Files

#7 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:16 PM

OH wow that really helps. I was under the impression that the Mach One was dinky looking next to the CGE. Wow it's a monster! I had no Idea. How does one mount the Mach one to a pier. My CGE uses it's mini pier that then attaches to a custom adapter (which I think came from Counterweight!)

#8 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:46 PM

I used the A-P ADATRI and it mounted directly to my pier Plate with no modifications. It is like a cup plate that the Mach-1 seats into easily.
;) hope that CGE part is serving you well !

#9 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

Worth 1000 words. Thanks Jim.

I've even had my CGE set up in the same venue as a buddy's Mach 1, and retained the impression that the CGE was larger. Side by side, though, there's no doubt. The Mach 1 is larger.

So here's the question...

Roland has said in passing that the Mach 1 is fine with a C14 OTA for visual, though the AP website rates the capacity as 45# and suggests that it's good for SCTs up to 11".

Celestron used to sell the C14 OTA bundled with the CGE mount.

I bought an AP900 QMD with the idea of snagging a gently used C14 OTA to put on it for semi-stationary home use, but noticed the collapse of AP 900 GTO prices on the used market in the wake of AP 1100 availability, and am now thinking to sell the QMD and replace it with a GTO.

But now seeing the Mach 1 aside the CGE, I'm wondering if I couldn't instead have my cake and eat it to with a Mach 1 (i.e., have a mount suitable for both semi stationary and travel use.

Anyone enjoy using a C14 visually on a Mach 1?

Regards,

Jim

#10 bobhen

bobhen

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

Jim

The 45lb rating is for IMAGING. I had a G11 (rated at 60lb.)and now have the Mach 1 and the Mach 1 is more robust than a G11. A lot of people use a C14 on a G11 for visual so the Mach 1 would be even better.

The motors on the Mach are the same ones AP uses on the 900 and 1200. For stationary use, I would get a larger mount. But if portability is part of the equation, the Mach 1 would do the job. Although, just the words C14 and portability make my back hurt.

Bob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics