Photo

Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market.

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural Nova Scotia

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

This is not new. I have been able to procure a few items on the used market from our American friends but, increasingly, all I see on Amart is "CONUS" only.

Not new but, also increasingly, the very same thing is occurring with ebay and even amazon.com. (Please don't even mention amazon.ca as they are a stench in the nostrils! Absolutely USELESS site!!! :mad: )

I recognize there isn't much to be done about it. I have decided I won't be renewing my Astromart account though as the continuing frustration make it unworthy of any fee. It occurs as frequently with the CN classifieds but, hey, they are free! Still frustrating though.

I wonder how other Canadians feel about this?

I've been a seller, as well as a buyer. I fully understand why US residents just don't want anything to do with selling outside the US. Especially when Canadians give them grief about high shipping costs and asking for falsification of declared values.

The effect is to make the classifieds a continuing frustration. They need an option (actually ebay.com does have one, sort of) to actually exclude listings that are "CONUS only." It makes no sense to a non-US resident to pay for a listing service where this is so common.

At least that's how I feel about it.

#2 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

I just really can't believe our two governments couldn't get together and do some kind of reciprocal agreement between the two country's postal services. At least for postage. On Taxes/import fees...well, on that you'll have to deal with your local and national governments.

What with all the "free trade" agreements, I'm rather shocked that we can't deal across boarders with our closest neighbor and ally. But then, my friendly encounters with Canada was in the early 70s when I was stationed at St. Ste. Marie, MI. We would travel over into the Canadian side (Same city name, much larger city) all the time. Between the two cities, they accepted either US or Canadian $ at face value. Twas a much simpler time I guess....

#3 dan_h

dan_h

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

<< I recognize there isn't much to be done about it. >>

Yep. That about sums it up.

dan

#4 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

Very sorry this is the case! I always offer my used gear to Canadians, but I realize others do not.

Just to be clear, if you're selling small stuff, eyepieces and small parts, there is no additional hassle for the seller to send to Canada. You will have a slightly higher cost, which I show in my ad. The buyer will also need to be patient. I've seen USPS add a week in transit time getting eyepieces up across the border.

#5 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

We have the same situation in Europe, where Germans don't want to ship outside Germany, when selling on eBay. I mean, how hard can it be? It's not like you have to swim to get to my island... As soon as the package is in the hands of the postal service, it doesn't matter, whether the package goes to Gotha or Gudhjem, now, does it? I pay the freight anyway. But watch the Germans get infuriated, if someone sells a scope in Austria or Switzerland and don't want to ship outside their countries.

Sigh.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#6 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

seems people like their kingdoms at all levels of life.....

#7 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

This is not new. I have been able to procure a few items on the used market from our American friends but, increasingly, all I see on Amart is "CONUS" only.

It never hurts to ask.

I mark all of my ads CONUS, but that is just to give me some protection on shipping costs - which have been rocketing upwards the last few years. And international is even worse.

If a foreign buyer asks - and is willing to pay actual shipping costs - I will ship anywhere it is legal to do so. I have shipped items to France, Poland, and Canada.

In fact, my best Astromart sale ever was to a Canadian. (Check my Astromart profile for that one!)

Stephane L'Heureux bought a Schaefer AT9 mount and pedestal from me - all 275 pounds of it! He was incredibly prepared. I told him the number of boxes and the weights of each one. He filled out all of the shipping documents (pre-paid Fed-EX Ground) and emailed them to me. All I had to do (besides pack the beast - which I would have had to do anyway) was print, sign the copies, and take it all to Fed-Ex. Fed-Ex scanned the barcodes, affixed the labels, and I was out of there in less than 5 minutes. Easier than domestic!

Of course, not all foreign buyers are so prepared .... and expecting the seller to do all the research and legwork (let alone take the hit on shipping costs) is not very realistic. Much easier for the seller to wait a bit longer for a domestic buyer.

#8 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:20 PM

I've had no troubles shipping to Canada or to France via USPS Priority Mail. I did have to fill out a customs declaration form each time, but that's all. No big deal for me. I have no idea what pain the recipients may have gone through.

#9 skullpin

skullpin

Ranger 4

• Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

An odd finding in the opposite direction: If a small box is less than 1kg, it is cheaper to send to US than domestically within Canada!!! Eyepieces and the like I advertize first on AM or CN. Heavier and larger things are a lot cheaper domestically, and I advertize them first on Canadian AstroBuySell. Curiously, many of my Canadian ABS ads are sold to the US with such buyers politely offering to cover extra shipping! Go figure.

Regarding buying from the US if the ad is marked CONUS, I typically offer the seller $20 extra for the "trouble" and they often bite.

Keith

#10 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:23 PM

I've sold several used astro items to Canadian's, including a Meade 10" ACF OTA, eyepieces and finder scopes with no problems whatsoever. I ship using USPS and haven't had any problems. It just takes a little longer to reach the buyer, but they already expect that. I would encourage other CN members to not be afraid to ship goods to Canada.

Bill

#11 Dwight J

Dwight J

Apollo

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

Never had trouble yet. I volunteer to pay shipping or, since I live close to the border as most Canadians do, I use one of the shipping outlets which in my case is the "Montana Shipping Outlet". I then drive an hour, cross the border, pick up a 30 pack, and pick up my item at the outlet store. Never had to pay duty, etc either. Works great.

#12 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:45 PM

Oddly enough, it's cheaper to get something shipped from Germany or Britain to Denmark, than it is to ship something within the borders of Denmark. I've bought spare parts and small farm equipment in both Germany and England and they ship it via postal service, because it's the cheapest option!

I'll never forget the looks on the face of the poor postman who had to drag the box with the two 7.50x18 front tires (about 40lbs, total!) from his car to my door. He really earned his money that day! :grin:

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#13 groz

groz

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Campbell River, BC

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

I've had a couple folks refuse to ship north of 49th when asked, but most of them have no problem with it. We usually just have it sent 'plain old post office' and shipping really isn't a big deal for the little stuff. My experience is, the vast majority of stuff marked 'conus only' will happily put it in the post office coming north, we are after all still part of the same continent. In a couple cases they have commented on how surprised they were to realize, postage to Canada was hardly any different from postage to the USA. For little stuff, it's not a big deal.

I've shipped a few things south, and, never had a problem, again always using the 'plain old post office'.

For the couple of cases where folks down south flat out refused to ship north, no biggie. Another will come for sale soon, and, I'll just get it there. To be honest, I'd rather not send money to folks with that kind of an attitude

#14 sn1987a

sn1987a

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Australia

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

I've bought a quite a few items off Astromart over the years even an entire 18 Plettstone (thanks again Bill, love it); never had a problem. I accept it as a given that I pay the shipping, PayPal and any other costs. All my dealings with US sellers have been a delight.

#15 dan_h

dan_h

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:26 PM

I've bought a quite a few items off Astromart over the years even an entire 18 Plettstone (thanks again Bill, love it); never had a problem. I accept it as a given that I pay the shipping, PayPal and any other costs. All my dealings with US sellers have been a delight.

At one time I bought a lot of stuff from the US and most folks shipped to Canada quite happily. Even bought a scope, a 120mm f8. Seems the trend today is that many sellers who will post to Canada want to go with the priority post box for insurance and tracking but it is just way too expensive for smaller items. I won a few small auctions on AM last year but the shipping killed the joy. Even bargin stuff from Surplus Shed is no longer practical and at one time I bought a lot there. There are a few dealers who are good to work with but for most, it's FedEx or Priority Post; choose your poison.

dan

#16 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

I recently had to pass up a set of eyepieces I really wanted from the classifieds here. After I told the buyer 'I'll take them', who stated in the add -No FEES, , he came back to me with: Tell paypal it's a gift to avoid the fees AND it'll be XX dollars shipping cause he's in Canada.

#17 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:40 PM

Well, within just this past week, I've had FOUR negative experiences on Amart!

One, a "CONUS only." I didn't bother contacting him.
One an "if I can't get someone in the US, I'll get back to you." It's not what he said but it's pretty much what he meant.

And two with no reply at all to my inquiry . . . and those two were not even "CONUS only."

So, I've pretty well had it with the US classifieds.

#18 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

There are reasons why some do not wish to sell outside the US.
1) people are always asking you to lie about the value or to say it is a gift

2) you have to fill out paperwork and stand in line to ship to another country, including Canada.

3) there can be very long delays in customs, weeks! I have had this happen when I shipped to Canada. The buyer was getting upset because the package just disappeared when it hit customs. He bugged me for a refund. I told him not until it is declared lost. The item showed up four weeks later, it was in customs the entire time.
Blueman

#19 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:55 PM

I've never tried to buy used out of the US, but I do buy a fair amount of new stuff. I typically have this stuff shipped to a broker at the border, which is 88 km from my house. I pay them a $5 per box fee and clear the items at the border crossing myself. Of course this may not work if you are some distance from a border crossing.

#20 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:13 AM

I don't mind shipping to Canada or any other country as long as the buyer understands that once I drop the package off at the post office, it is out of my control and I am not responsible for what may happen to the package. With this arangement I have shipped items to Canada, Portugal, New Zeland, Australia, Trinidad & Tobago, Lithuania and China without any issues. All of the packagaes have arrived safe and sound in a timeley amnner except for Lithuania, that one took about a month and a half! My main concern is the lack of tracking capabilities when shipping outside the US but if the buyer agrees to my conditions, I will happily ship to them.

#21 Shneor

Shneor

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:48 AM

It has been a couple of decades since I sold a Celestron C-8 OTA to a gentleman in New Zealand. I had a couple of forms to fill out, and I planned to ship it using USPS. The maximum length plus girth was 80 inches, and my local post office refused it because it was 1/2 inch larger. I took it to a contract post office in town, and they accepted it. The buyer wanted me to declare a lower value so his customs duties would be less, but I convinced him that if anything happened, the insurance could not exceed the declared value. So I entered the true sale price. I recently turned down a foreign offer simply because I don't want the additional trouble of filling out forms (the prospective buyer offered to pay any additional shipping cost). I did ship some donated astro items to Curacao a year or so ago, and that turned out be be quite simple for some reason. I don't want to charge for extra time on forms, but I feel my time is valuable.

#22 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:13 AM

Do you know about this site? http://www.astrobuysell.com/
While I've only bought a few things on the used market the majority have been from the US and the majority of those did state CONUS only yet still the deal was cut. Only ever wanted it shipped USPS and was willing to pay the full shipping. There is no duty on astro equipment and taxes are my responsibility.

If someone doesn't want to sell something that is their right, Oh Well. What I do see though is that there is a lot of used stuff out there that is going unsold so perhaps keep track of those things and the seller who wouldn't sell. Perhaps with a little time their attitude might change.

On that Canadian site throw up a wanted ad if there is something you really want. You might be surprised what might reply.

For the most part (and I mean no disrespect) you might just need to get over this. We live in an amazing country, the fact someone might not want to sell you something is small beans.

Bill

#23 sg6

sg6

Viking 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:45 AM

It will be the boarder and the related customs etc that is the problem. Equally I have had problems buying bits from other people in the UK and not going over a boarder, and we ain't that big. :question:

I now usually look for a location before contact and if possible just drive to collect. Which considering our post is good and the whole place is about 800 miles end to end is pretty bad. :help:

#24 gonzosc1

gonzosc1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

there are reshippers avalible in the US. just sold a bass guitar on ebay and I had USCON only listed on it. A guy from Finnand wanted the bass and told me about a reshipper he uses out of Fla. so I shipped to Fla and they ship to him at big saving. if I were to ship direct to him it would have been $400-$500, the reshipper did it for $160. they ship in bulk all over the world so they get bulk rates. may take a bit longer to get an item.

#25 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

Do you know about this site? http://www.astrobuysell.com/

Bill

Sure I do, Bill. But it's really pretty pathetic. Our market is so small. I did, by shear coincidence, pick up two Delos EPs there very recently though.

Earlier this year I was notified by a US friend of some high-end gear being listed on Astromart by a Canadian. I bought many kilobucks of it from him.
Typically, it was not even listed on the Canadian board!
Seems even Canadians don't list on the Canadian board! :(
He still has $8,300 of stuff left on Amart . . . or, at least, has not marked the items as being sold.
Had it not been pointed out to me, I'd have not even seen the listing!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics