Photo

Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market.

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#101 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

Only thing Americans should EVER order from Canada is maple syrup. Oh, wait, I forgot. New England has great maple syrup!

I'll differ with that statement. Kendrick has great astro gear, I've owned their observer tent, battery supply and dew control systems, all the best available IMO! and I don't hesitate to order across the border from them, Everything has always arrived fine! ( after all they are in the business to sell and ship to the US and other countries, unlike private citizens).
Rex

#102 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural Nova Scotia

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

I'll differ with that statement. Kendrick has great astro gear,
Rex

Hi Rex.
Kendrick, of course is great. I have their stuff. But surely it would be cheaper for an American to order it from a US reseller . . . like Kendrick at OPT?

#103 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

Actually, Kendrick told me (as I recall) they ship to a US facility of theirs in the Buffalo area (perhaps their US distributer? and then ship to US addresses from there. So the prices and shipping are about the same as at an US dealer,
(perhaps there is a charge for the US/CAD exchange on my CC but that is about the only difference).
Rex

#104 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

Of course, this is just "standard operating procedure" that every Canadian ordering from the US experiences as a matter of course. :(

Buy why in hades would an American EVER order a mount from a Canadian retailer? :confused: :confused:

Terry,

That's one of my biggest pet peeves with US vendors. "Free shipping" is a great marketing concept but please don't tell me that it's actually free. Shipping costs are factored into the margin and selling prices. If a vendor offers free shipping on a product within the US I should get a small discount on the shipping fees outside of CONUS. I'm not asking for free shipping internationally, just honoring the fact that free CONUS shipping costs are already accounted for in a product's selling price.

There are also a number of products available in Canada and not in the US, one example are a number of the SkyWatcher products such as the EQ8 mount.

#105 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

• Loc: Grand Isle, VT

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

I also don't cash the MO until I hear the buyer is happy. If they aren't, I send it back to them, when I get the item back in my hands.

So yes, both parties have risk. But I control mine as much as possible...

#106 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

Hi Mark:

Of course I understand there is no such thing as "free shipping."

Well, wait. Maybe there is. By that I mean I can get an item for a certain dollar amount shipped "free" in that the retail price remains the same if I order the item from another seller, the manufacturer really, who charges for shipping. I suppose its part of the manufacturer not wanting to "step" on his dealers but the effect remains the same. Bottom line is that it is cheaper from the reseller selling at MSRP with "free shipping" than the manufacturer selling at MSRP but charging for shipping. I have a specific case in mind but it likely would be poor form to mention names. Also, I think it is pretty common. The manufacturers often to seem to quote prices for shipping considerably higher than those quoted even by the dealers who do not offer "free" shipping?

I recently bailed from a manufacturer's web site after seeing his quoted rate for shipping to Canada and ordered the items from OPT instead. Shipping was not "free" to Canada of course, but was appreciably lower than quoted on the manufacturer's site.

#107 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

Hi Mark: Of course I understand there is no such thing as "free shipping."

Ooops, sorry Terry. I just re read my post ... I didn't mean for it to read like I was referring to you. That sentence was intended as if I was addressing the vendors.

I should add that good prices in combination with free shipping is a great concept and I've even seen it on some Canadian dealer websites. I just hate the idea of paying for shipping twice on orders from US vendors.

#108 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

Look at it this way, it balances out...you have darker skies..... :question:

#109 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

Only thing Americans should EVER order from Canada is maple syrup.

And hockey pucks! Right, Rex??

Dave

#110 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

I was just cleaning up some paperwork and offer this with no editorial comment.

I ordered this thing from a Canadian retailer late this spring. You can see the cost at a US retailer in the link.

My final cost, after HST and shipping from the Canadian concern? $201.13

Cost of the item alone, before taxes or shipping? $174.90

#111 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

Dave

Sorry Dave, I don't play hockey, I got the game scared out of me at a Buffalo/Mapleleaf game in Buffalo when I was about 10, my aunt got into a fist fight with a Canadian player who came up into the stands and it ended up with about 10 members of my family fighting with the Canadian team in the stands until the cops broke it up, lots of black eyes and bruises on both sides.
But it was a game I won't forget! :lol:
Hope to see you at Chiefland.
Rex

#112 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

Terry, are you saying the $52 US cost became $174.90 just because a Canadian store was the 'source' of your purchase?

If so, you didn' actually go through with the purchase, did you?

you could have bought one from jim Kendrick for under 60 bucks or a heated one for about $90.....

Dave

#113 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

Dave

Sorry Dave, I don't play hockey, I got the game scared out of me at a Buffalo/Mapleleaf game in Buffalo when I was about 10, my aunt got into a fist fight with a Canadian player who came up into the stands and it ended up with about 10 members of my family fighting with the Canadian team in the stands until the cops broke it up, lots of black eyes and bruises on both sides.
Rex

In other news, there are two guys named 'Rex' in this thread!

Dave

#114 starrancher

starrancher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

Dave

Wait a minute . That summer sausage packed in the cotton sack by Schneiders is something that just cannot be found in the states . One has to con his relatives into sending it for the holidays or bringing some with them when they come down to visit .

#115 starrancher

starrancher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

Dave

Rex

At one time , we went to a heavyweight boxing match and it broke out into a hockey game .
:grin:

#116 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

Terry, are you saying the $52 US cost became $174.90 just because a Canadian store was the 'source' of your purchase?

If so, you didn' actually go through with the purchase, did you?

you could have bought one from jim Kendrick for under 60 bucks or a heated one for about $90.....

Dave

I am saying EXACTLY that, Dave! Although we are comparing 52USD to 175 CDN. Have the paperwork to prove it! I did go through with the purchase. It will likely be the last time I deal with that particular CDN astro retailer. My other experiences with CDN astro retailers, while not quite so extreme, were not "stellar," Either.

An SSAG certainly cost me more than ordering from the US would have cost but it was in stock in Canada and I "needed" it.

Another retailer, although supposedly a rep. for Astronomik in Canada, was not prepared to get an EOS Ha clip-in for me. I ordered it from OPT.

I'm pretty much through with the CDN retailers.

The shipping charge alone on the Astrozap was $25.
I doubt OPT would have charged much more to ship into Canada. There is not a Canadian on this board that would not recognize the name of the dealer I bought the astrozap from. The Astronomik "non-dealer" is not so well known.

#117 2244champ

2244champ

Lift Off

• Loc: Salem County N.J.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:46 AM

I've sold 12 items on CN that said "will ship CONUS" for a specific amount (that way the buyer knows his exact cost). Two of the buyers were from Canada. I spent much more time packaging the items for shipment than I did at the post office. The main difference I noted was that it took much more time for delivery up north. Although I've seen a lot of rude behavior on the internet, I must say that almost all my interactions on Cloudy Nights have been positive and I am grateful for so many sharing their experience on these threads. To my northern neighbors, I say keep responding to ads and don't be discouraged. Clear skies, Doug

#118 Skunky

Skunky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:06 AM

I just got slapped with a $36 duty and brokerage fee's for an SQM! shipped in to the US via UPS. stick with USPS.. lol..

#119 TG

TG

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:18 PM

Nothing to do with Canadians but here's my recent experience trying to sell my C11HD to a gentleman from another Commonwealth nation (Australia):

Looked up size and weight restrictions on usps.gov. They tell me that it can't be over 108in girth (length + 2x width + 2x height). It just fit, actually was probably 1/2 an inch over but I figured they'd give me that leeway. The weight was below their limit as well (I think it was 50lbs or so). Cost was a whopping $445 but the buyer was willing to pay it. (FedEx/UPS were $800-1000!).

Double boxed it going to a lot of trouble to keep within the size restrictions. Then hauled it to the PO and stood in line for 20 minutes before the lady comes out with a tape measure and tells me it can't go. Why?? It has to be within 80in (not the 108in the website told me). Another associate helpfully tells me it could go to UK. Then: perhaps I could break it up and pack into separate packages? No, thank you.

I refunded the money and sold to another buyer in CO and felt really bad for the original buyer. Makes me want to stick to 'CONUS only' in my ads but I'm too egalitarian for that.

Tanveer.

#120 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

• Loc: Vienna, VA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:55 PM

Selling internationally, even from US to Canada has its issues. The 1st one for me is insurance - can't do it or way expensive. I've done a few international sales where I had to tell the buyer that I will ship, but it's all at their risk and if it does not show up I can't refund anything. Most buyers don't like that. But what can I do when easy enough to ship within CONUS and for $10 get insurance to cover lost or damage!

I usually say CONUS when I sell. However, I usually get a lot of folks from other countries that still ask. I'm ok with that. If they are willing to take the risk of no refunds and pay the high postage rates these days, then ok. But always makes me nerveous because I want all transactions to be smooth and everyone with a smile.

btw, USPS is getting way crazy (better than commercial but still...). I wanted to ship a small book to UK (2-3 pounds). USPS told me cheapest was $26! FedEx was over $80!! Crazy!

#121 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

yah, Bill. I know all too well. Even shipping WITHIN Canada is just over the top now! Can't do it for penny-ante stuff anymore!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics