• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cartron

cartron

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Plattsburgh, New York. USA

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

Hello, I have the meade dsi II I want to use for an autoguider, and also have a celestron Advanced VX mount. When i plugged in the cam to my lap top, and then ran the wire form the usb back to the auto guide port. and used the meade software to autoguide my telescope went crazy slewing all over the place. then I tried PHD and it wouldnt work with the clestron mount selection, but would with the genereal setting. It went throught the whole process of setting up the mount west,east, north south, and finally I got the green box with green cross hairs through it and took an exposure and of course there were star trails. Also my scope is a celestron 8" SCT, and guide scope 80mm orin short tube refractor. If anyone has any answers to why this might be happening and what I could do to fix this It would be much appreciated. Thank you :confused:

#2 UniversalMaster

UniversalMaster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

When I guided my old LXD75 with my Meade DSI I Pro, I just connected the cam to the computer and the computer to handset. I have not tried it, but I plan to guide my EQ6 Synscan the same way, i.e. without using the guide port at all. From what I heard, the should Work just as well as using the guide port.

#3 cartron

cartron

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

so go though the hand controller, not the autoguide port. I will try this. thanks

#4 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

Normally you would use a GPUSB to guide with a DSI II. The DSI II does not guide by itself, it needs an interpreter. The exception would be if you Pulse Guided I believe.
Blueman

#5 cartron

cartron

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

So is the USB to Serial cable diffrent form the GPUSB cable. Will the serial cable converter work?

#6 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:18 PM

The GPUSB does what a guide camera would do, it takes the Guide Software requested corrections and issues them to the mount through the ST-4 auto-guide port.
The USB to serial just provides a serial port, not an ST-4 guide port like the GPUSB.
A guide camera that does its own guiding has an ST-4 port built in and that is where you attach a cable from the mount to the camera.
The DSI II is a USB camera and it attaches to the laptop, not the mount. You have to have it attached to the laptop and the laptop uses a guide software to interpret the pictures taken with the DSI II and then sends that out by either ST-4 as in the case of the GPUSB or it can use a Pulse Guide if the mount is connected to the laptop and the guide software is capable of doing Pulse Guiding. Then it does not use ST-4 commands to guide.
Blueman

So is the USB to Serial cable diffrent form the GPUSB cable. Will the serial cable converter work?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics