• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MAURITS

MAURITS

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

The first time I used a bino for solar observation!

What a nice view OMG...... so much detail with both eyes :D

Posted Image

#2 core

core

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:21 AM

For sure, even with a small scope the amount of surface details in white lights is quite pleasing.

Posted Image

And I had a different setup for transit of Venus public outreach, most of the public had no problems with using the BV's

Posted Image

#3 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:44 AM

The only problem I have with my BV is that the views are so awesome and comfortable I can't bring myself to observe the sun/moon/planets with one eye anymore.

Ed D

Attached Files

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

The first time I used Binoviewers on the sun it really shocked me as to how much better the sun looked!

Had been doig solor on and off for 10 years (mostly with the same C5) and never really felt like it was all that rewarding. Even sold my solar filter at one point.

Got a solar filter for a Christmas gift (did not ask for one, and while thankful for it, was not really excited about it).

Then, I actually used it one day.

Now I solar observe regularly. It is sooo much more rewareding with the filters.

Enjoy it.

#5 MAURITS

MAURITS

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

Thanks Peter, Ed D and Eddgie........., indeed it looks a LOT better than mono (with my Ethos 21mm).

Relaxation (for the eyes) by long periodes of solar observing and MUCH more detail to see, amazing. :D

Look to the very short lightpath in my above pic!

#6 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

Hi Peter... where did you get the sun-blocker thing on top of your scope? Whats it called ("sun blocker thing"?) I have one but it doesnt fit the scope I'm currently using, so I've been on the market but havent found anything. Thanks...

As for the topic of this thread, yeah sun observation with BV is just amazing. I do it whenever I can. :cool:

#7 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

I saw that it was a Mark V but how did you mate it to the wedge?

I sent a note to Lunt about doing this and they said that it could not be done???? They said that there was no T2 thread provision, and that the ND filter was in the eyepiece housing.

So very curious now on how you got this to work...

#8 MAURITS

MAURITS

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

I saw that it was a Mark V but how did you mate it to the wedge?

I sent a note to Lunt about doing this and they said that it could not be done???? They said that there was no T2 thread provision, and that the ND filter was in the eyepiece housing.

So very curious now on how you got this to work...

Eddgie, I believe that you saw the wrong diagonal in my picture!

This is "not the white light wedge" from Lunt but the Lunt "B 1800 blocking filter" for the Ha combination.

On the blocking filter there is the same thread as the Baader coupler for the Mark V.

Indeed white light wedge don't work with the bino for the reasen you described ....... :bawling:

#9 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

Ah, thank you for the clarification.

I saw that you had a wedge, and I thought that must be it.

Again, thanks for the clarification.

#10 core

core

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

Hi Peter... where did you get the sun-blocker thing on top of your scope?

It's a slightly modified panhandle from Manny Myles (here on CN, he make's em); I got him to add a 1/4" coupling nut to the top - There's a micro-ballhead mounted there, and I can either have the sunshade or a LCD screen mounted. For the sunshade, it's just a piece of corrugated plastic (think lawn signs) and a 6" long 1/4" bolt bent at the head and glued to the board. I've also got the same setup for Vixen Portamount.

Attached Files

#11 core

core

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:07 PM

... this pic shows where he welded the connector nut, and the removable 1/4" mounting bolt.

Attached Files

#12 core

core

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:12 PM

This is "not the white light wedge" from Lunt but the Lunt "B 1800 blocking filter" for the Ha combination.

Oh wow, with a TOA-150 the views must be absolutely breathtaking!

#13 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:04 PM

Thank you very much Peter! I will admit that I hadnt even thought of attaching the sunshade to the mount, I was trying to get it on the top of the scope somehow. What an ingenious solution. Thanks also for the great and helpful photos. I can figure something out based on this... the Yankee hat I wore a few days ago just wasn't enough. :smirk:

By the way, the BV setup youve got in the photo is pretty cool and compact. Nice...

#14 MAURITS

MAURITS

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

Thanks all for the reply!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics