• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• -----
  • Loc: SE MN

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

Last night I noticed after parking my scope, that it could not get a gps fix. It went into gps fix after the following startup, and five minutes later, still trying to find a gps fix I gave up and shut it down. Restarted and realigned. I thought parking was supposed to speed things up. Not for me.

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

Parking or not parking shouldn't have anything to do with how long it takes to acquire GPS data. Are you skipping the GPS step when realigning? If so, it's a GPS issue rather than a parking problem.

#3 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• -----

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

No, when realigning or aligning the first time the gps fix takes about two seconds.

I parked the scope because I wanted to get some sleep to look at orion and Jupiter between 2 and 3 am. When I did get up 3:20 orion was already behind the neighbors tree Jupiter was still in plane view so I decided to untarp the scope to take a look. After turning on the goto, for the first time after parking, the scope immediately went into "gps fix" on the handset and just kept producing little stars scrolling across the screen for five minutes. Then I gave up and shut it down.

#4 Moabite

Moabite

Sputnik

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

Was the optical tube or something else blocking the GPS sensor's view of the sky? On my LX600, the sensor is on top of the fork arms, so no part of the scope will block it. On the LX850, it looks like the optical tube could possibly block the sensor, depending on the park position. My LX600 is permanently mounted so I always use park. When it boots up, it goes to the "Select Item/Object" screen. As soon as I tell it where to go, it takes a gps fix which only takes a few seconds and then slews to the object. I also used park on my LX200R for years and never had an issue. You might try a different park position next time and see if that makes a difference.

#5 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• -----

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

It goes to a park position. And yes the tube is above the gps unit. However, this position works fine for gps fix on first alignment.

Its seams possible I have a problem with firmware, although it does have the latest update.

Starting to worry me a little.

#6 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

In the hand control you can set GPS either off, at startup or always on. Find out what it is at currently and change the mode and see if that helps. The good thing about your specific issue is it is one that can be tested during the day.

#7 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• -----

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

The problem is that I want it to be on. The gps fix not only tells the scope where it is but also WHEN which is also important.

When the gps fix fails you can manually put in time, date, location, daylight savings....
When I am starting it up at 3 am I want to get gazing not programing the hand control. That is the frustrating thing.

If I ever get an observatory this will be a huge issue for me.

#8 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

I can't say what is happening with your mount, but I can report that on mine, when I come out of Park and command the first goto, it successfully grabs the GPS fix at the third asterisk.

#9 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

The problem is that I want it to be on. The gps fix not only tells the scope where it is but also WHEN which is also important.

When the gps fix fails you can manually put in time, date, location, daylight savings....
When I am starting it up at 3 am I want to get gazing not programing the hand control. That is the frustrating thing.

If I ever get an observatory this will be a huge issue for me.

I was suggesting you check which mode GPS is on and change to the other mode not turn it off.

I just tried it both ways on mine and had no trouble but I will admit that in the past I recall issues with it coming out of park correctly. Could be interference or it could be an intermittent bug in the firmware.

Do a long hold on Mode to bring up more info. The first thing you see is a display of the mounts current coordinates. Now slew manually and see if the numbers change correctly.

#10 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• -----

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

I will try it when I get time

thanks

#11 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• -----

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

I can't say what is happening with your mount, but I can report that on mine, when I come out of Park and command the first goto, it successfully grabs the GPS fix at the third asterisk.

Wow, then I am really having a problem. Mine filled the screen many times with asterisks. many times. I then gave up.

I have an email into meade hopefully they will have a fix for me.

#12 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Soyuz

• Loc: Long: 81.42 W Lat: 41.21 N

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Maugi,

I saw where you wrote that you got up at 3 am and untarped the telescope. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Guys, am I wrong on this?

#13 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• -----

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

Maugi,

I saw where you wrote that you got up at 3 am and untarped the telescope. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Guys, am I wrong on this?

What do you mean? I didn't want the scope and all the electronics to be drenched. So I tarped it. Should I have not done that? Isn't that why people get observatories? So they can protect their expensive equipment from the elements? I don't have an observatory.

#14 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

Maugi,

What do you mean? I didn't want the scope and all the electronics to be drenched. So I tarped it. Should I have not done that? Isn't that why people get observatories? So they can protect their expensive equipment from the elements? I don't have an observatory.

Maugi,

I have no problems covering my LX850 while parked.

-- I park the telescope.
-- Turn it off
-- Cover it (Telegizmos 365 cover)
-- When ready to observe again, I take off the cover.
-- Turn on the LX850
-- Enter something to go to.
-- GPS gets a fix in "three stars" in the display
-- Off it goes to the target.

Maybe resetting the hand controller? Turing it off completely (no parking) and start all over. Maybe the GPS will work then.

Oh, make sure NOTHING is over the GPS when it is searching (like your hand, thick cover, dish of bacon, etc).

#15 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• -----

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

The dish of bacon of course :foreheadslap:

I was using the same procedure as you did. Maybe it was just a computer glitch and it will work next time.

It is brand new so under warranty.

If problem persists I will just send the handset in.

Thanks all

#16 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:07 AM

The dish of bacon of course :foreheadslap:

I was using the same procedure as you did. Maybe it was just a computer glitch and it will work next time.

It is brand new so under warranty.

If problem persists I will just send the handset in.

Thanks all

How did testing go?

Was it the bacon?

#17 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• -----

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:00 AM

Thanks for helping me lighten up a little about this Andrew.
I needed that. Was getting a little worried.
Yes it was the bacon.
I have not been able to test anything yet. I will post what Happens.
Still waiting on a reply from meade. Not always the most prompt bunch.

#18 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• -----

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

Just heard from meade on this and they say it is a software bug that they know about and are working on a fix.

#19 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

Just heard from meade on this and they say it is a software bug that they know about and are working on a fix.

Ah, so it wasn't the bacon!

I wonder what the conditions were to cause it. I wonder when I will encounter the bug?

Thank-you for the heads up!

#20 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• -----

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

Ah, so it wasn't the bacon!

I wonder what the conditions were to cause it. I wonder when I will encounter the bug?

Thank-you for the heads up!

A little funny that nobody else is complaining about this if it is a problem they know about. They didn't explain what the bug was and how wide spread it is. I am glad they are working on it.

#21 pastordad

pastordad

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

bugs bite...;-)

#22 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

Park, unpark and then slew using the hand controller while watching the RA and DEC coordinates on the hand controller. Do they both change? Only one? None?
Report back.

#23 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• -----

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

When I get a chance I will. Although meade says it is a bug they know about.

#24 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:30 PM

Oh yah I know. I reported that bug quite a few months back.

#25 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• -----

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

Ahh so it was you. What is the test you recommended supposed to tell about my problem.

By the way I still have not been able to check it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics