Best high power eyepiece for C102GT?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

• Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

Totally outside the OP's scope, but I have I found the 32/24/16/12mm Brandons mounted on a Baader Q-Turret with the integral 2.25x Q-Barlow to be sublime for this scope.

This combo gives 14.2/10.7/7/5.3mm with good ER, parfocal, perfect for planetary, lunar, double star, etc.

If I need wide field views, the ES82/30 is a treat in the C102GT!

#27 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

• Loc: Vienna, VA

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

Sounds like a killer setup :D Btw, I have the Baader setup but never used the Barlow. A few evenings ago I decided to try out the Barlow integrated into the Turret's tube. OMG I was in shock at how excellent it performed! Way beyond my expectations. The smallest FL eyepiece I had in the Turret was a 7mm Pentax SMC Ortho. With the Q-Barlow lens elements threaded into the Turret it is supposed to give the same 2.2x magnification, so the 7mm SMC Ortho would effectively be 3.1mm. That was mated on my TSA-102 for a resulting magnification of 262x. The view was razor sharp! As you said....sublime :grin:

#28 kkokkolis

kkokkolis

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Piraeus, Greece

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

Off topic, but, is the Q Barlow really that good? I was going to buy it today but I had my reservations (mainly that it can't be threaded on eyepieces without enough clearance) and didn't.
Also, a friend was selling his Q-Turret and I asked him if it was good. He said, no, let someone else buy it, it has poor quality. I was going to use it with my BGOs (and perhaps an ES68 24 or a 28mm RKE if the ES would prove heavy).
Sorry for off topic again.

#29 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

Off-topic reply :grin:

How many turrets are out there? I see one or two for over $700. The Q-Turret is $85!!! Is it metal? No. Only the barrel that inserts into the focuser is metal so you can tighten it a lot without issue. The rest is a heavy ploymer/plastic. The rotating click stop mechanism has multiple mechanisms to provide the flexure and click stop, so if one should break over time will still have the backup one operating.

Overall I place it as a high value item and increadibly handy. It does not look flimsy and IMO it is not. I've had it holding 4 Pentax XWs and it had no issue handling the weight. What had the issue was the diagonal on the refractor and getting that tight enough so it would not rotate under the weight of 4 XWs :lol: Handling it with care, just as I do with my scopes and eyepieces, I don't expect it to ever break or fail. And if it does, big deal because one can purchase 9 of these for the price of the least expensive Hex Turret ! The only thing I do not like about it is the lack of compression rings. But am in process of replacing the metal set screws with nylon ones so that is easily remedied.

Attached Files

#30 photiost

photiost

Apollo

• Loc: La Belle Province, Canada

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

Off-topic reply :grin:
But am in process of replacing the metal set screws with nylon ones so that is easily remedied.

This is the most simple yet effective remedy.

For $85 I can take the plunge and try it out. If I dont like, it will be donated to our club.

#31 JustaBoy

JustaBoy

Skylab

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:00 PM

Hi Bill,

I have a question:

In your pic you have the 25mm Sterling positioned for viewing - What happens when you rotate to the 20mm... Does the 25mm interfere with your head space?

Thanks,
-Chuck

#32 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

If you put the largest to smallest eyepieces in the turret in clockwise order, then rotate the orientation 45 degrees, it does not interfere. So right now I have it set in the picture aligned with the axis of the scope. i.e., the 25mm to the one opposite it (the 12.5mm) are aligned with the scope's body. When I observe, I rotate it so the line formed by the 25mm-12.5mm is oriented 30 to 45 degrees to the left of the axis of the scope. Doing this then, for left eye viewing, does not interfere with head if the EPs are substantially different sizes.

#33 JustaBoy

JustaBoy

Skylab

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

Sounds good...Now if I can only figure out how to modify your instructions, since I observe with my right eye:-)

Thanks Bill!
-Chuck

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics