• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#26 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

Hi Mike,
Let me know when things start and sign me up for one. Usual contact info.
Phil

#27 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

I can put you on the list for the first one if you wish. No commitment needed.

#28 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

Hi Mike,
Works for me.
Thanks
Phil

#29 gr0uch0

gr0uch0

Lift Off

• Loc: TX

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

Will this model have the same (I'm sorry, but) inexplicably silly design of having the focuser attached to the mirror cell? Based on what some (now previous) owners have told me that would not support the imaging train I use, no matter how appealing it is otherwise. Has anything thought been given to NOT doing it this way? I know 3 folks that sold their AT RC's because of this shortcoming.

Along those lines, what about the capacity of the focuser itself? I'm really not trying to be harsh here, but the crayford-style focuser in the photo doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Mark

#30 Jussi Koponen

Jussi Koponen

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:59 PM

I earlier tried to ask same thing as gr0uch0. Can we have an answer for is there this same design flaw in these new scopes?

#31 Astronomics

Astronomics

• Administrators

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

I know we have sold thousands of the scopes and people are using them just fine with various imaging trains. The ones we have out for research purposes have never reported a problem over a 4 year period. I don't have an answer for what seems to be an extremely small sample size. If they all came back defective then I would say the design is quite flawed, however that has not been the case.

The focuser ends up being a stop gap for most folks as they already have a focuser they prefer to use like a Feather Touch, Moonlight, or something super exotic that has remote capabilities.

#32 gr0uch0

gr0uch0

Lift Off

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:11 PM

Fair enough. Seems odd that 3 imagers of the relatively few that I know had issues with sagging with cameras, filter wheels and rotators. Sweet scope otherwise, but this design option still seems like a bit of a head scratcher.

#33 Astronomics

Astronomics

• Administrators

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:37 PM

I can only assume the designer believed it was the best way to keep the rear cell and camera aligned. I sounds like the some of the collimation screws weren't tightened down. I mean since the entire system is one piece it would only sag if something wasn't tight. At least that is what my non engineer brain tells me. I might guess they had the 6" scopes and that sounds like a ton of weight on the back of the scope. But like I said in another thread, we have had people with 15 pounds on the back and didn't have an issue. They of course had an insane focuser to support that much weight. And I would assume a heck of an insurance policy. lol

#34 gr0uch0

gr0uch0

Lift Off

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

I can only go with what I was told anecdotally, but these were the 10" versions. Not sure what two were replaced with, but the one was replaced with the DSI RC10C where the focuser and mirror cell are decidedly separate.

Are you going to recommend a particular focuser for heavier imaging trains? Do you happen to know what focusers are being used in these 15lb imaging trains?

To that end, what will the backfocus be?

Thanks Michael,
Mark

#35 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Gemini

• Loc: Puerto Rico Island

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

not to sour any soup here but the 12RC is out in china already http://www.astroshop...detail-1257.htm :)

#36 mattflastro

mattflastro

Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

• -----
  • Loc: Brevard County , FL

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

not to sour any soup here but the 12RC is out in china already http://www.astroshop...detail-1257.htm :)

don't need to go to China, it's available in Europe too:
http://www.teleskop-...info/p6512_G...

#37 frebie

frebie

Chief assistant to the assistant chief

• -----
  • Administrators
  • Loc: Neither here nor there.

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

I suspect that while the ads may be out in China and Europe, it is doubtful that any actual scopes are available there yet since the first production run only started last week, The China ad shows a quantity of zero sold and the European ad says "Ask for delivery time." That doesn't sound like the scope is actually available in either place.

#38 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:53 AM

I suspect that while the ads may be out in China and Europe, it is doubtful that any actual scopes are available there yet since the first production run only started last week, The China ad shows a quantity of zero sold and the European ad says "Ask for delivery time." That doesn't sound like the scope is actually available in either place.

I only posted the European ad link to show that it's not just an isolated dealer who's making promises, it's basically the most important GSO dealers in USA, Europe and China who are gearing up to sell this scope. OF course being in the USA I'd buy from our USA dealer .
The European price is way higher so that's a non starter . The Chinese price is the same as from Astronomics but after adding shipping and duty plus the risk of damage in transit and lack of local support (should someone buy from China instead of Astronomics) it's definitely not an option . These ads are just a good indicator that the scope is real and coming soon. Looks very promising.

#39 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Gemini

• Loc: Puerto Rico Island

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

good point! thanks

#40 Theaetetus

Theaetetus

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

These scopes should be an amazing value. However, from my perspective the major problem with these scopes is the lack of a dedicated field flattener. It is well known that RCs suffer from significant field curvature, and this is evident with my Astro-Tech 8” RC even with a medium sized 15.15mm x 15.15mm CCD chip. Are there plans to offer a field flattener for these scopes?

#41 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:35 PM

There is a lengthy thread up in Cats and Casses where Astronomics says yes flatteners are being designed for each size scope, to be threaded to the rear cell. :mad:

#42 Jason B

Jason B

Proud father of 5!!

• Loc: Mid-Michigan

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

These scopes should be an amazing value. However, from my perspective the major problem with these scopes is the lack of a dedicated field flattener. It is well known that RCs suffer from significant field curvature, and this is evident with my Astro-Tech 8” RC even with a medium sized 15.15mm x 15.15mm CCD chip. Are there plans to offer a field flattener for these scopes?

Astro-Tech's AT2FF works great for me with a Canon DSLR and a 8" RC. It also works just fine on the 12" as well. It is not a reducer but is a very effective field flattener.

#43 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

IS the 12" in stock now?
Your webpage still shows it pre-order and a price of $4495 .
Other vendors claim to have it in stock and at a price of $3995 . I might be interested in one and trying to decide .

#44 Astronomics

Astronomics

• Administrators

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

I looked around at a few dealers and saw a price of $5,000, but they weren't in stock. What dealers are you talking about?

#45 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

Mallincam

Rock's VRC12T is being advertised at Intro Price: $3999.99 US funds plus shipping (from the Ottawa area). He says he's received his first units.

#46 Astronomics

Astronomics

• Administrators

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

They have started to ship the units out around the world. When I was there they were prepping 250 units.

#47 astronomer2002

astronomer2002

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

I am in the market for a 12 inch RC, and primarily a decently priced truss version, but haven't jumped in due to concerns over the mirror cell issues alluded to in this thread. I am not overly concerned that the focusser is attached to the cell as the mirror itself should float in the cell so any miniscule flexure induced in the cell by the imaging train would show up as a shift in collimation rather than astigmatism - unless, of course, the mirror is very tightly fixed in the cell.

My understanding is that other manufacturers who use the GSO mirror set in the GSO cell have had issues with astigmatism. This is either down to poor optics or poor mirror support.

I don't like the sound of a mirror fixed so solid it doesn't move. That to me says 'astigmatism'. I have built many telescopes over the years and learnt early on how easy it was to induce astigmatism in a 12 inch mirror by either clamping it too tightly or only giving it 3 points of contact at the 70% zone. I then tried two rings of Silicone (a new idea in the 70's) with mirror held from moving about horizontally by three close fitting posts around the peripheral, but this also induced astigmatism. When I made a 9 point cell my astigmatism issues vanished. I concluded that Silicone alone may work on smaller mirrors but it is not suitable as the main support medium for larger ones.

Can someone here tell me if the main mirror rests on 9 point suspension (at least) and that the mirror is not clamped so tight as to allow no movement?

Thanks in advance

Ian B

#48 gr0uch0

gr0uch0

Lift Off

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

It really is a shame as this is an otherwise promising line of scopes. The designers seem to be of the opinion that DSLR's are where it's at these days. Very 2001 thinking on their part, but I have no doubt whatsoever that when I put a MMOAG, rotator, large format CCD+filter wheel, this thing is gonna flex like a bamboo in the wind.

It's amazing to me that this has not been addressed. The only thing that amazes me more is the denial of the issue in the first place. "We haven't heard about this" isn't much of an answer. I know 3 people myself who had this issue and it's not like I know that many people in the first place. Actually, the only person I know who didn't have this issue is a guy who uses an color CCD.

DSI scopes with built-in focuser, fans and secondary heaters is still a better bargain, despite the higher "cost". I have zero connection with DSI other than wanting one really, really badly.

#49 Astronomics

Astronomics

• Administrators

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

People put plenty of gear on the back of the RCs for the better part of 5 years. As far as the other scopes go, I am sure they are very nice instruments, but I have no doubt in ability to image with the instruments. We have thousands of satisfied customers that feel the same way. I open up the mags monthly and see our RCs credited with the photography and the users generally have large amounts of gear on the back.

#50 gr0uch0

gr0uch0

Lift Off

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

What's your return policy? I admit that I am very interested in one of the scopes, but until I see for myself that flexing isn't an issue with my setup, I'm wary. The CAA+Takometer, MMOAG and STL-11000M is quite heavy.
What focusers are you guys recommending?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics