Denk in my Refractor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

Well, I just had an Ah-Ha moment on my telescope!

I'll explain...I have a WO BV for a couple of years and recently picked up a new Denk2 with the power switch at the NEAF show this year. So originally to be used in my 8" SCT and now learning all the other stuff about light paths and aperture reduction and so on. It has a 2" nose piece and had not stuck it in my 80ED yet that I use with 1.25" EP. For that I have been using the WO with the 1.6x barlow and it works well on the brigheter objects and nice on the moon.

Over the summer I picked up a 10" Dob and a 102g refractor that is 1000mm f/9.8. So I wanted to try it in the Dob, but I had to buy an OCS from Denkmier to get it to focus. It works well with the power switch. Really nice views of the double cluster with the reducer arm in.

So what about using it in the refractor and do I need two BV after all? Thing is, the WO is much lighter than the Denk and do I really need the power switch for casual views of the moon and planets with the grab n go 80 or the 102g? The mount I have is about at it's limit with all that weight and counter weights with the BV in them. Besides, I don't want to have to buy another OCS in 1.25" mode to fit the fractors.

Anyway, going back to the denk site to price one and kept reading bout the different ways to use them in different scopes. Then it hit me, just take the front OCS out of that long 2" tube and screw it into the front of my 2" diagonal and try it that way. Besides, the 2" way is more secure than then the 1.25" way. So got it set up and pointed it at a house roof a ways away and kept racking out the ring and pinion focuser and low and behold it came to focus! It was pretty dim in the 20mm EP's I had in it, but figured it would be ok on the moon tonight for a try. Then I tried it with the reducer arm in....ah, much better and brighter!

So now I might have the solution to use the Denk in all 3 types of telescopes I have. Just wish the Denks with the PS wasn't so heavy....oh well, perhaps I worry too much! If I think this will be ok, then I'll finally sell the WO as I don't need two BV and all the $$$ tied up. I'll just go with the lightest EP's I have.

So a question out there, the barlow used in the WO is 1.6x and I'm not sure what the multi purpose Denk OCS is, anyone have an idea? I hope it's close to the WO and under 2x?

I'm going to do the acid test tonight on the moon with all three scopes and both BV...who knows, maybe the WO beats the Denks???

Lot's of fun with all this bino stuff to learn :lol:

Bob

#2 Sorny

Sorny

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern MN

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

Supersystem is ~1.3x, 2.3x and 3.3x when using the OCS. That's right from Denkmeier's website under manuals.

That's all easily found on Denkmeier's website under manuals...

#3 Space Dragon

Space Dragon

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Scotland UK

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

I don't own a Denk but I think you should be able to remove the powerswitch from the bino [I think it just unscrews] and find a way of connecting just the bino to either a 2" nosepiece or better still a Baader T2 prism for the shortest possible light path.
This way you may be able to use the binos with no OCS for the widest possible FOV and it saves weight.
I know Denk do a dovetail connector for this sort of thing, if you give Russ a call he will let you know what will work for you.
The standard OCS is probably around 2x.
Precise Parts can also fix you up with a custom made connector if need be.

#4 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

So does that mean my 102g f1000mm scope is performing at;

1,300mm, 2,300mm and 3,300mm vs. 1,600mm with the WO BV then?

So bottom line then is the Denk with reducer gives me widest, lowest power option with any BV at 1,300mm. Only way to not use the OCS then would be to spend a lot more money on prisim and adapter route I guess. Not what I want to do...spend a bunch more $$$ on this project as I already have.

Thanks for your inputs:)

Bob

#5 Messyone

Messyone

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Down Under

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

Bob, are you wanting to do without the OCS if possible? If you put the WO's in a 1.25" diagonal and remove the 2-1.25" adaptor you can find out if you can reach focus by moving the whole lot in and out of the focuser tube. For me I was only 5mm away from doing away with the OCS so I ground down a GSO adaptor so it would fit in the focuser tube without the lip...ie all the way in.
Got to say I don't really use it or much as I prefer the view through my ES 40mm 68ยบ eyepiece for wide viewing.
Matt

#6 axle01

axle01

Mariner 2

• Loc: Townsville Nth Qld Australia

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:40 AM

Hey Bob I know you've seen this and it didn't cost much only a nose piece from Russ and a bit of machining and drilling and taping threads,,,,,,easy peasy.

http://www.cloudynig...6051979/page...

#7 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

Yeah, I forgot about this solution and need to look further into it. I had my 4" 1000mm refractor out last night on the moon and at f/2300 with the BV was a bit much, but ok I guess. Then with the reducer arm in and back to f/1300 was much more pleasing views. So yeah, would be nice to get rid of the 2.3X OCS, but I would have to buy a new diagonal. The 1.25" I have now cannot remove the eyepiece tube like in the picture.

#8 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

Yes, I would like to do without an OCS with either one of the BV, WO or Denk, but it does not have enough in focus. I did remove the stock 1.25" adapter and used a compression one that was shorter, only 12mm long and still no good. I am able to focus on trees about 50' away, but when I try a rooftop 100 yards +, just can't quite get there....and don't want to have to cut the tube?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics