Photo

ETX-125 EC with Autostar suggestions

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nctalkinghead

nctalkinghead

Lift Off

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

I picked up the ETX-125 EC yesterday with its Autostar handbox - 497 and controller says Version 22SE. I am a Macbook Air guy and my SSD does not have space for BootCamp or other Windows installation software. So, does the latest and greatest - whatever that is - version of Autostar allow me to control the ETX-125 from a computer? If so, how much ram and hd do I need? Or do I just relax and enjoy the setup as is?

Thanks in advance

#2 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:31 PM

Many planetarium programs are available on OS X, iOS, etc. that will control a Meade GOTO telescope.

Each will have their own HD space and RAM requirements.

http://www.pure-mac.com/astronomy.html

#3 Ezra Brooks

Ezra Brooks

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

My ETX 125 ec has a dead motor.I would like to remove the optics from the yoke and place it on another tripod.It is not obvious to me how to do this.I could take a hacksaw or meat cleaver to the thing but I would like to preserve the parts for others more knowledgeable than myself to use. Does anyone have any suggestions for de-yoking the ETX?

#4 zyzyz

zyzyz

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mid Michigan

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

Weasner's site has an article that shows a teardown of an etx-90. Should be similar.

http://www.weasner.c...c_comments.html

There's a few links in the article that are worth looking at too.

#5 RichardHK

RichardHK

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Hong Kong

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:38 PM

>>Does anyone have any suggestions for de-yoking the ETX?<<

Just remove the two small allen keys from each side of the yoke and then simply prise yoke apart to pop out the OTA.

Put screws (4) back into OTA to fill the holes if you decide to junk the drive like me! :)

#6 Ezra Brooks

Ezra Brooks

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

Thank you for yor help.

#7 Ezra Brooks

Ezra Brooks

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:00 PM

Dear Richard,Thank you for the information.When I got the ETX125 the altaz motor was dead.I called MEADE and they were unhelpful (I'm being courteous.How do they survive as a business?)I removed those four screws but was afraid of breaking the thing.The info I got from you and others on C.N.was what I needed to do the job. Thank you.

#8 RichardHK

RichardHK

Messenger

• -----

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

Hi Ezra,
Pleased to hear you got job done. I know the feeling of springing the OTA out of the forks is a little unnerving, but it's soon over.
I have my OTA on a Portamount now and it has already had more use than with its unreliable goto mount. Sad that Meade did not address this problem at all. Seems the ETX125 is too much for the cheapskate toy car components inside.
The OTA itself is quite good as you likely know.

#9 Hitech

Hitech

Ranger 4

• Loc: NW PA.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

Your drive may have suffered the common demise caused by the wires that pass through the center axix bolt. The threads of that bolt will wear into the wires and can damage the drive circuitry or if lucky, just sever's the wires needing to be replaced. Either way it's a bit of a process to repair but not impossible and essentially a very low cost fix if you know what you are doing. I did that to mine, even removing the axis bolt and machining a larger groove for the wires. They then run through a thin teflon sleeve for further protection and the edges to the threads were softened a bit to reduce chances of snagging. A dumb design by Meade but it works fine now.

#10 RichardHK

RichardHK

Messenger

• -----

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:48 AM

Hi Hitech,
My drive failed twice due to broken drive gears in base. Between failures I had a Dr Clay supercharge that attended to weak wiring as you rightly note, so was extremely disappointed when drive failed the second time. (Meade fixed the first drive failure courtesy of Dr Clay.)
Solution for me as noted above is to junk the drive unit and buy a Celestron AVX sometime later. (And a Celestron Edge 8HD OTA beyond that.)
Meade was my dream scope company growing up when all I could afford was a plastic Galileo replica scope! Sad what my Meade fever brought upon me. I bought the Stellarvue SV90 after my ETX failed the first time. Now that really is a great scope which cost just a little more than the whole ETX experience given the shipping costs to US and other hassles.

#11 earthman

earthman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:59 AM

I thought I would grease up and clean up the drive units on my 125-EC so I started taking it apart. Work on the base first and new grease and had it looking great and smooth. Took the fork arms apart to start there and WOW. The worm gear seemed a bit loose so I starting looking hard and seen some plastic parts laying in there. Started taking out the screws and they seemed real loose. The worm gear mount just fell off?? WOW, the three plastic holes were disintegrated. Like the plastic had some sort of oily stuff on them and like melted the plastic away. Now all three mount holes are gone.. I am going to try to grind away the remaining pieces and glue in some hard wood and try that for screw holes. The base was fine but the arms were killed. And the thing worked some how, just sloppy. Don't know what the oily residue was but it disintegrated the plastic.

earthman

#12 wd8sbb

wd8sbb

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southwest Ohio

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:58 AM

Sorry to hear about the broken pieces.

Please have a look at the following:
One of Weasner's web tech tip documents for similar broken ETX-125 [www.weasn...

See if it can help you with ideas on repair of your ETX.

#13 earthman

earthman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

Perfect. That is what is wrong with mine. Good ole' JB weld. All three of my screw holes are bad. I will try this idea. Weasner Is a champ on ETX's. Easy fix. Thanks on this one.

earthman

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics