• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SMigol

SMigol

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

I saw this earlier today. Has anyone tried it yet?
http://www.freestyle...hnical-Pan-1...

#2 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

I seem to recall a test done by a Canadian astrophotographer was unsuccessful in hypering this product. Hypering basically destroyed the emulsion.

This spec sheet mentions astrophotography, but they may be referring to Lunar Photography.
http://www.maco-phot...1007_1.1_gb.pdf

That being said, I would like to see a second opinion on it. Perhaps Rick Thurmond might check in on this topic. He still hypers Tech Pan and Acros. Perhaps he has more information.

#3 SMigol

SMigol

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:39 AM

I was trying to understand the datasheet that was available at the link and it goes into great detail about developing times, but no information on reciprocity failure with long exposure.

Out of the can it looks to have good sensitivity to red. May get some and try it out.

#4 Giorgos

Giorgos

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

I recall I had also suggested this film as a replacement for technical pan too a few years ago. I cant find any astrophotos taken with it on the net. This film requires distilled water to be used with the developing chemicals. I 'd like to see the tries of the Canadian to hyper it Nightfly (any link?). Without hypering it's to slow at 25 to 32 ASA for deep sky astrophotography.

#5 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

I do not have a link Giorgos. I believe it was George Anderson in Montreal who had tested it. He had tested Rollei R3 (now discontinued) with poor results I believe.

I've contacted another veteran film guy who was part of the discussion back then. When I get a response I will share it with the forum.

There are several red sensitive films that might be worth an attempt to hyper. They include Rollei Retro 80s, Superpan 200, and a few others made by Adox and Efke.

All it would take is for someone to do the tests :grin:

#6 Michal1

Michal1

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

Do we really need to replace the original Tech Pan? There is plenty of it on Ebay. Given its ISO 25, it wouldn't have to be affected by age too much. Any experience? Is Technical Pan today as good as it was fresh?

#7 AstroMan0

AstroMan0

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dedham, Massachusetts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:11 PM

I've been using old tech pan bulk rolls for a while now, and they seem fine to me. I'm using a roll from the 80s now! Then again, I can't say if it is as good as it would have been 30 years ago...I wasn't around then!

#8 Michal1

Michal1

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

Do you use it also for daylight photography? Do you develop it in the original Technidol?

#9 AstroMan0

AstroMan0

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dedham, Massachusetts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

I don't really do any daytime photography; my interest mostly lies in astronomy (and plus I barely have any free time during the day ;)). I develop it in D-19 for 10 minutes.

#10 TechPan6415

TechPan6415

Mariner 2

• Loc: Aspen, Co

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:32 AM

I have hundreds or rolls of it in 120, I have been using it specifically on a project for the past few years, mostly in 6x6 and 6x12. I tried the ATP once, it seemed good enough although it curled easier. Never tried any of it on astro stuff, I don't do that in my photography.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics