• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Meade Instr.

Meade Instr.

Vendor Meade Instruments

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

IRVINE, CA – (October 15, 2013) – Meade Instruments® The leading designer and manufacturer of telescopes and optical accessories for both professional and amateur astronomy enthusiasts worldwide, today announces completion of the Merger Agreement with Sunny Optics, Inc. ("SOI") and Sunny Optics Merger Sub, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of SOI, both of which are affiliates of Ningbo Sunny Electronic Co., Ltd., collectively ("Sunny").

Ningbo Sunny Electronic Co., Ltd. develops, makes and sells sport and outdoor optical products, such as binoculars, telescopes, research grade microscopes, spotting scopes, riflescopes and diverse optical components and accessories. Sunny's manufacturing facility is located in Zhejiang, China and is equipped with first-grade, ISO9001 certified, production facilities, and advanced environmental and optical
testing devices.

Meade Instruments will be led by Joseph A. Lupica as Chief Executive Officer. Joe brings over 25 years of experience in the Optical Industry and is eager to lead the current management team. Meade will continue to meet all financial obligations, honor all product warranties and support product from its North American headquarters. Dealers and distributor networks worldwide shall remain unchanged.

Peter Ni, CEO Sunny Optics, Inc. states, “I am extremely pleased to be involved in the future of Meade Instruments. This is a tremendous opportunity for both companies. It is my desire that Meade will be managed by Joe Lupica and that Meade continue to maintain its North American sales, marketing and manufacturing facilities. Where possible, Sunny Optics will offer its support to optimize the vertical integration of both companies.”

“This is an exciting day for Meade Instruments” said CEO Joseph A. Lupica, “as it marks the beginning of renewed period of growth and development. Meade has a long tradition of innovation and I am proud and energized to lead the team into the next exciting chapter. The management team will focus on efficiently delivering high-quality precision products manufactured in our North American Advanced Products Division (APD) facility and improving in-stock positions. Meade will continue to be the leader in designing, manufacturing and supporting innovative products for the advanced amateur.”

“With the completion of the merger management and manufacturing team can now focus on delivering and supporting the kinds of products that Meade has long been known such as our MAXII, LX850, LX600, LX200, LX90, LightSwitch, Coronado and ETX series of telescopes,” said Meade’s CEO Joseph A. Lupica. Joe further states “Quality Advanced Coma-Free (ACF) optics along with product innovations such as LightSwitch and our newest addition StarLock, the first fully integrated, self-contained auto-guiding system, are just some of the features that set Meade apart from all other telescope makers. I want the astronomy community to know that Meade is here to stay and that they can count on our renewed presence and support.”

#2 aoloaolo

aoloaolo

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

I don't have many Meade products at this time, but the industry would not be the same without Meade as a player.

I'm looking at the LS series of scopes and a few others and I'm glad Meade will be around when I decide on what I want to do.

:fingerscrossed: Here's to optical prosperity....we need players.

#3 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdome

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

Hello new Meade,

What about the early LX80 owners who aren't happy at all with our purchases and the product is now out of warranty? I feel duped and I'll never buy another Meade product unless something is done about the misrepresentation of maximum loads and the problem with the dec. axis bouncing when at or over @ 20 lbs. due of too much weight on the gear/worm, and that is only half the max load that was promised in the specs.

Good luck Meade, you're going to need it. Sorry the previous ownership left you with so many unhappy customers.

Please feel free to respond here or with a PM, although I'm not holding my breath. :p

#4 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

IRVINE, CA – (October 15, 2013) – Meade Instruments® The leading designer and manufacturer of telescopes and optical accessories for both professional and amateur astronomy enthusiasts worldwide ...

Isn't this a rather optimistic and wishful introduction for a troubled company?

I wonder if you e.g. could substantiate in which way your company is leading in the field of designing and manufacturing .... for professional astronomy :question:

PS: I did have some wonderful Meade research grade orthoscopics in the distant past.

#5 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:37 PM

What is the direction of the Meade/Sunny Optic merger? will they still continue to make telescopes and eyepiece.

Meade 4000 UWA series eyepieces were considered top of the line, so I was surprised they dropped it in favor of the 5000 UWA series (instead of having an overlap to see which would sell better first).

#6 Mark Costello

Mark Costello

Gemini

• Loc: Matthews, NC, USA

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

All success to y'all.

#7 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

Are you going to bring back the smooth/glossy Meade blue paint finish to your line of ACF SCT's? Don't like the pebble/textured finish at all and will never buy one with that look. I do own a few Meade ACF OTA's with the glossy blue finish, though.

Bill

#8 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

I think it's really something that Meade comes on here with their big announcement then ignores any questions put to them. Real classy.

#9 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

Post deleted by Joe Bergeron

#10 Griffin!

Griffin!

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

I'm amazed they post on here at all with the responses they tend to get.

#11 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

Geez...

tough crowd. Well Meade I hope you can figure out how to make money and bring great products to all of us in this fantastic hobby. I wish you success and I really hope you get some things right this time around.

Al

P.S. How about a Black Friday / Xmas sale ? Maybe some coupons here for the nice folks on CN who would like to help you all out with sales? :FarmerRon:

#12 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

Geez...

tough crowd.

I see you have no Meade products in your equipment list except a PST. How would you like to spend $799 bucks (now they are $999, they raised the price before any were delivered) for a mount advertised to be able to carry 40 lbs. in EQ mode only to be able to use less than half of that weight without the RA axis "bouncing" due to the badly designed worm/gears and the way they mesh. The tripod hub has broken for many folks. My mount works OK in atl/az mode but I have no illusions of ever being able to do any wide field photography in EQ mode like I had planned for this mount except maybe just a DSLR and a lens. An auto guiding port on the mount is non-existent , an add on dongle is supposed to work, but with all the problems these early mounts have I'm not even going to attempt it. I'd sell it if I wouldn't lose too much $$$ on it, but who would buy one? If Meade wants any more of my business they better do something to us "unpaid beta testers". :p Bitter? Heck yeah.

#13 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

I think it's really something that Meade comes on here with their big announcement then ignores any questions put to them. Real classy.

This forum is for announcements. Folks wanting to establish a dialog with a vendor will do better to contact the vendor directly.

#14 gmartin02

gmartin02

Viking 1

• Loc: Santa Clarita, CA

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

John,

If you haven't noticed, most of the original posts in the Vendor and Group Announcements forums have comments and questions from CN users to the vendor in response to the announcement (some more on topic, others not so much), and most vendors do respond directly in these forums to the those CN users comments/questions (regardless if the question/comment was on topic or not).

I understand Jim's position. He is stuck with an out of warranty mount that does not even come close to the published specs, and he is probably feeling like a sucker for spending his hard earned money on a mount that has known problems that still have not been addressed (yet) more than a year after the mount has been released. He probably should contact Meade directly (and he may already have done so), but at this point he may feel pretty desperate being stuck with that turkey of a mount, and is looking for any possible avenue to help get his problem resolved. If I was in his position I would probably do the same thing out of sheer desperation.

Jim, I apologize if I have misrepresented your thoughts or feelings. I was just using you as an example. I do think you might have a better chance (which still might be slim or none in Meade's case) of getting a response (or at least some sympathy) if your posts were a little less on the "ranting" side :)

#15 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hi Greg,

You are probably right, but we've been strung along now for a long time, are they going to fix them, can we upgrade somehow to the new mount, is our warranty extended? Don't mean to rant but I'm frustrated. Meade won't respond on their own message boards so I doubt they'd respond here.

If all I wanted was an alt/az mount that could hold 20 lbs. I'd have bought an Ioptron.

#16 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

Yeah, I agree, this is not the place to directly ask Meade questions. They simply made an announcement - if you have specific questions for that vendor, they are available to contact directly. I dont think they spend much time reviewing these posts.

I actually think its smart that they dont - because they would get torn apart by a mob if they did no matter the answer they give.

I am still very hopeful that Meade turns it around and is able to get back to producing great items for our hobby. I wish them the best.

#17 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

With a merger, they need to define their vision for the future (most likely what will be most profiable). They wouldn't want to give a spontaneous answer, and then recant it a month later, when they consent on their direction (if different).

#18 Relativist

Relativist

Skylab

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

Maybe they also need to decide how much involvement they will have in this forum as well, I'm sure it's TBD. IMO it only makes sense. That said, they could learn quite a bit from reading the feedback here by customers over the years. Good luck Meade, it's true the hobby is better with competition.

My suggestion? Stiffen your dobs, make them with solid wood (not that expensive) and add a tracking/goto option.

#19 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

I agree with John C., this is an ANNOUNCEMENT forum, not one to engage the manufacturer. I can only imaging the slaughter that would occur if that happened.

When was the last time Celestron directly addressed individual support questions on ANY public forum? C'mon guys......give them a chance to get going at least!

#20 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:26 AM

I agree with John C., this is an ANNOUNCEMENT forum, not one to engage the manufacturer. I can only imaging the slaughter that would occur if that happened.

When was the last time Celestron directly addressed individual support questions on ANY public forum? C'mon guys......give them a chance to get going at least!

Many of the vendors in the vendor announcement forum respond to questions or concerns from their customers. :p

#21 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

Exactly. Well said.

#22 gmartin02

gmartin02

Viking 1

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

Exactly. Well said.

faltered:

In the following thread:

http://www.cloudynig...d=vendorann&...

You asked a vendor (APT) this direct question:

"I am just a couple of issues away from buying your software, i really like it but I am running into an issue I cant figure out. How do you take images longer than 30 seconds? When I try to use the "bulb" option, and I try to take an image, I get a message telling me to turn off mirror lock. I have a 450D/Xsi. I am connecting via the USB cable. I can get most everything else to work perfectly, LiveView works great, I can take images in any of the levels in the drop down, but just cant seem to figure out how to take images longer than 30 seconds. If I can get this figured out, I will buy your software for sure! Thanks for making such a great tool!"

To which the vendor responded:

"Hi Faltered, Thank you for the kind words! To make longer than 30s exposures, you have to define a plan. Click on the Edit button in lower right and you will get in the Plan Editor. There you can define all the parameters for a multiple sets of exposures and to group then in a plan. When you are ready select one plan in the main window and hit Start"

To which you responded:

"Cool! I didnt play around with the "plan" area at all. Currious, why cant you just have other options in the pull down like "1min" and "2min" I will be placing my order for full version tonight! Thank you!!"

I see a little "double standard" from you on this one :)

I just reviewed the TOS, and there is no rule stating vendors cannot be asked questions in the Vendor and Group Announcements forums. The vendor has no obligation to reply, but the CN users are within their right to ask questions.

I guess no one read this in my previous post, so I will write it again, this time in bold text:

Most of the original posts in the Vendor and Group Announcements forum have comments and questions from CN users to the vendor in response to the announcement, and most vendors do respond directly in these forums to the those CN users comments/questions.

If you don't believe me, take a look at a handful of other announcements on this forum - vendors are constantly responding to questions by CN posters about their products (and in many cases, increasing their sales, like in the example for faltered above).

John C and budman1961: Just because you don't feel it is OK to ask vendors questions in this forum does not give you the right to tell other CN users what they should or shouldn't do in this forum. Last time I checked, neither one of you are moderators of this forum. faltered - I didn't include you in this because you already have asked a vendor a question in this forum (see example above).

#23 gmartin02

gmartin02

Viking 1

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

Moderators (Brian, Sedat): Could you please comment on the practice of asking vendors questions in this forum? As I said before, most announcements have questions from CNers, and most of the time the vendors respond to the CNers questions.

Is there a new rule that has not been added to the TOS that now forbids this practice?

Thanks

#24 jonbosley

jonbosley

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

Cool, maybe the new Meade Team will throw the hot glue gun away when putting its electronics together.

Jon

#25 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:06 PM

I see a little "double standard" from you on this one :)

I just reviewed the TOS, and there is no rule stating vendors cannot be asked questions in the Vendor and Group Announcements forums. The vendor has no obligation to reply, but the CN users are within their right to ask questions.

There's a big difference between "How do I do invoke a particular function when using your product" questions such as the one quoted above and some of the questions that had been posted in this thread. The "Play nice" rule covers these situations.

The one about glossy v. pebble finish paint was a good example of an appropriate question.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics