Mirror cleaning and older distilled water

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

I am about to clean my mirror again. It's been two years since I last cleaned it. I still have a bottle of distilled water from 2 or 3 years ago, but it has NEVER been opened.

Would it be ok to do the final rinse with this bottle? Or should I go round to the store and purchase a brand new one to rinse the mirror? :question:

Thanks,

#2 Steve OK

Steve OK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: OKC, OK

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

I can't imagine why you should not use it, especially if it is unopened. After reading your post, I went and checked my half-empty gallon of distilled water, and found that it does have an expiration date. It expired a month ago. I just used it to rinse my 10" Dob mirror, and it worked fine.

I wonder what spoiled distilled water tastes like?

Steve

#3 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

It's water. Water doesn't go bad.

Bill

#4 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

Sounds like it should be ok to use then!

Thanks guys! (PS: I'm not going to drink it tho, LOL).

Cheers,

#5 dpwoos

dpwoos

Apollo

• Loc: United States

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

Never drink old water - it is all dinosaur bath water. Only drink new water, e.g. waste from a fuel cell.

#6 cpr1

cpr1

Viking 1

• Loc: Louisiana

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

Did you put Sta-bil in it? :grin:

#7 ThreeD

ThreeD

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento suburbs

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

Hmmm. Water stored for a period of time can change. For example, if stored in plastic some of the chemicals will leach into the water. Also, you could experience some "colonization" if there was organic material in the water.

Distilled water stored for a couple of years? So long as it is still clear I wouldn't hesitate to rinse my mirror with it.

--Scott

#8 cloud_cover

cloud_cover

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

I guess I'd be hesitant to drink it or maybe dump it in a car battery for fear of organic contamination but to wash your mirror... well the worst case I guess is it might leave some residue, in which case the "treatment" would be another rinse :)

#9 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:32 PM

Hmmm. Water stored for a period of time can change. For example, if stored in plastic some of the chemicals will leach into the water. Also, you could experience some "colonization" if there was organic material in the water.

Distilled water stored for a couple of years? So long as it is still clear I wouldn't hesitate to rinse my mirror with it.

--Scott

I was thinking the exact same thing in your first paragraph Scott...the bottles are not expensive at all, so to err on the safe side, I'm going to buy two or three new jugs.

#10 AlBoning

AlBoning

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:04 AM

Actually water does go bad and very quickly.

The work I did as a chemist required water that was not only chemically pure but physically clean.

Whether the water was deionized, triple-distilled, or both it was mandatory that it be filtered to remove particulates greater than 2 microns. I say mandatory as the 42 mm filter elements cost about 50 cents and protected a part worth about a grand.

In general it was necessary to change the filter element for each liter of water filtered. From experience I learned that it was prudent to filter the water again after 72 hours. At which time it was every bit as difficult to filter as it had been the first time. In general I only had as much filtered water on hand as I would use in a day. On occasion I had enough that it was worth saving and I'd refrigerate it. Refrigeration didn't help. My conclusion is that life (air borne mold, bacteria?) had spawned.

I'll not conjecture on how this would effect the suitability of the water (if at all) for cleaning optics but I certainly wouldn't drink it without boiling it first. Although one should be safe concluding that a container of purified or distilled water is sterile if it has not been opened.

Last time I cleaned a primary I had three gallons on hand. Used about a gallon and a half. Tossed the partial and put the un-opened gallon in the fridge. I intend to use it next time I clean a mirror, but for washing only. The final rinse will come from a new bottle.

#11 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

I'm super cautious. I only use recently purchased distilled water when cleaning my mirrors and optics.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics