• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Maxedout

Maxedout

Explorer 1

• ***--
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

I tried 2 different battery adapters provided by Celestron that produce no power. Unit will not power on at all. The power adapters are showing power due to the red light at the cigarette socket lighting up. Any help is appreciated.

#2 MartinTreadgold

MartinTreadgold

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:19 AM

Hi there,

Obviously try with a different cable, in case the cable broke.

The LED on the power switch on the mount is lit up or not?

If thats a no go, you might have a dead mount..

One of the things that could have happened, is that the mount power switch was set to the On position when you connected the power to the battery, causing a voltage spike. My dealer said it can happen, so to be very careful with connecting the power.

There's been several threads on this issue. A few mounts were dead on arrival

Sorry to say this, but you will need to return it and get a replacement. Give a call to Celestron first and they will talk you through the returns process.

It shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks i guess.

The mount is a great mount, dead mounts can and do happen, it's just one of those things.

Let us know of the outcome

Best Regards

Martin

#3 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

I tried 2 different battery adapters provided by Celestron that produce no power. Unit will not power on at all. The power adapters are showing power due to the red light at the cigarette socket lighting up. Any help is appreciated.

OK, first of all, before you do anything else, take a knife and spread the center pin on the mount-side power receptacle. That pin is split and is often the problem when power isn't making it to the mount. Don't go crazy on it, just open the split enough to make contact with the inside of the power plug. Another situation that could be at play here is that the 12V power cords (coaxial plug on one end, cigarette lighter plug on the other end) supplied by Celestron are notorious for being bad. I'd recommend replacement with this from your local Radio Shack. You'll need this to plug into the scope...but you'll STILL NEED TO SPREAD THAT CENTER PIN on the mount-side connector. Yours is not an uncommon problem, but it's easily fixed - that's the good news. :grin:

#4 Dr.Don

Dr.Don

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:36 AM

It was 1 week to get my AVX replaced.

#5 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:17 AM

It was 1 week to get my AVX replaced.

Why in the world would the OP go through the hassle of returning/replacing a perfectly good AVX when a ten-second effort to spread the center pin of the power connector will, more than likely, fix the "problem" ?? That center pin is ALWAYS the first thing to check when a power problem rears its ugly head. It certainly could be something other than that, but please invest the few seconds to check. Besides, a new replacement AVX could very well have the identical problem! This isn't unique to the AVX, my CGE and CGEM DX both needed this simple fix. As I recall, my LX200 Classic and LX200 GPC did, as well. As long as the manufacturers continue to use these cheap coaxial connectors, those center split-pins will remain a potential problem. Come to think of it, my Losmandy G-11 needed that pin spread, as well!

#6 Dr.Don

Dr.Don

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

My original AVX never had a power problem. The problem was some type of motor/gear binding issue. My post was to say it took Celestron 1 week to ship an entire new C9.25 system to me. The real hassle was that they would not simply replace the mount. Since I ordered the full C9.25 scope they wanted the *whole* thing sent back as 1 defective unit. The entire process from my original complaint to having a new scope was 7 days.

#7 ratskrad

ratskrad

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Heber Utah

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

I second the week thing. When my AVX died I sent it back the whole mount and a week from it arriving at Celestron I had a new one in my hands.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics