CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Post a picture of your Cat

• Please log in to reply
562 replies to this topic

#551 JoeR

JoeR

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Columbus, OH

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:41 PM

First light with my new setup and I loved it!

Attached Files

• Jan Owen, Starman81, R Botero and 2 others like this

#552 TG

TG

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:22 PM

...and just for yucks... The Beast. I originally bought just the telescope and forks with a basic LX6 handbox. I later scored the Meade Super Wedge and Giant Field Tripod from the CN classifieds. I did not appreciate the use of the work Giant until I received the tripod. It is huge! But very solid.

attachicon.gifLX6-GFT-2j.jpg

Is that a homebrewed dew-shield or a commercial one?

#553 TG

TG

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:23 PM

Right: Orion Argonaut aka MK66, 6" f/12

Center: Intes-Micro 160mm f/5.5

Left: TEC-6

Very nice...

How does the performance of your Argonaut 6 compare to your TEC 6 ?

Steve

The TEC has brilliant images due to top-notch coatings. Otherwise, they're in the same league correction-wise.

Tanveer.

#554 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Vanguard

• Loc: S.Oregon Coast USA

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:53 PM

A great newcomer to the party! Wish I'd gotten one of these 180 Maks sooner! :grin:

Attached Files

#555 evan9162

evan9162

Viking 1

• Loc: Boise, ID

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:16 PM

That 180 Mak must really be pushing the weight limit for the CG4.

I have a C6 SCT on an EQ3 (same mount head as the CG4), and even with my thick wooden legs on the mount, it's really close to the limit that the mount can handle (it gets a bit wobbly when focusing).

#556 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Vanguard

• Loc: S.Oregon Coast USA

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:22 PM

That 180 Mak must really be pushing the weight limit for the CG4.

I have a C6 SCT on an EQ3 (same mount head as the CG4), and even with my thick wooden legs on the mount, it's really close to the limit that the mount can handle (it gets a bit wobbly when focusing).

This isn't it's regular mt.  I use a CG-5 and CGEM at the observatory, but this CG-4 does work fine when well balanced as shown, and just for visual use.  The ota without accessories is 15.9 lbs. 

#557 Adam E

Adam E

Apollo

• Loc: Edgewood, NM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:43 PM

New TPO RC10 that I just couldn't resist while on sale during OPT's recent double rewards / CA Tax Break Festivus thing.

The scope and MoonLite arrived late day yesterday, and it was actually clear out.  I didn't have time to check collimation during daylight with a sight tube, cheshire, etc..., so I went with just star collimating.  During the process, I made a total fool of myself and never achieved mirror alignment nirvana.

Tonight is a second clear night after getting a new scope!  I collimated during the day and made a couple tweaks after dark on stars.  That went muuuuuuch better than purely star collimating a scope that just survived UPS. 

Generating round stars now....

RC10%20Small_zps4wephpbb.jpg

#558 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:48 PM

I have so thoroughly enjoyed using my 8" SCTs on my Twilight I mount and my 8" LX3 and I decided to re-fork my 10" LX6 Premiere. Since it is a bit of a beast to set up on its Meade Giant Field Tripod and Meade Super Wedge I wanted the option to use it in a simpler, lightweight configuration. To accomplish this I made an adapter plate for one of my Meade 884 tripods. I'm not so foolish to ever try using the tilt-plate, but in altaz mode it works fine.

Fun stuff.

Attached File  LX6 884 Tripod (5-2-2015).jpg   455.15KB   28 downloads

#559 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:14 PM

John, how would you rate the optical quality of your various Meade 8" SCT's?  I own two as well, an LXD75 with ACF optics and an older LX200R.  I have done four side-by-sides with them and both have excellent optical quality, but the while LXD75 seems to take higher magnifications better and shows a bit more sharpness/detail on Jupiter.

Really nice pictures of all the various "cats".  I'll have to try and take some pics of mine with my i-phone and figure how to post them here.

Bill

#560 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:50 PM

I do a lot of double star observing and I am very particular about the fine structure of the star images. All of my cats give images that I would consider good to very good. (I have had the honor of looking through some amazing optics designed and built by masters of the craft and they set the standard for excellent.) As a group the 8's tend to do a little better than my 10's. I don't know if is is beacause the 8's are actually optically better or that they stay in better thermal equilibrium than the 10's. So, I tend to use my 8" LX50 or SC8 (from my LXD75) for high resolution observing & imaging, and my 8" LX3 and 10" LX6 for deep sky observing. I also image with a deforked 10" LX200, but optically it is similar to the LX6.

Neat stuff.

#561 Ron Luxemburg

Ron Luxemburg

Mariner 2

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:32 PM

Just picked this C9.25 up about a month ago. It had a few {now fixed} issues, but is beginning to feel like a keeper. I still need to get a really steady good night to re-star test, but Jupiter and Saturn so far looked quite good. I still may end up taking the corrector off to clean up grease all over the main drawtube fairly soon which will mean re-centering the secondary as it was not centered when I received it. There was only one shim in place holding the corrector in the right place so after re-centering the corrector with the help of a good friend, we made new additional shims and got those in place around the corrector and hopefully it will stay centered. Next is to replace the Phillips head secondary collimation screws with most likely stainless hex style as I don't care to be pushing down on these Phillips to achieve proper collimation.

Attached File  Small_D812577.jpg   297.14KB   22 downloads

• R Botero likes this

#562 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:52 PM

C6 on a DwarfStar mount w/Slik Pro 700DX tripod. The mount tripod are at their comfortable limit, but it is a true grab'n'go. 

Attached Files

#563 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:53 PM

Finally got this rig out in action! C8 Edge on Nexstar SE mount with CG-4 tripod.

Attached Files

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics