• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LTE

LTE

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Scotland

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

I have a Meade LS8, which works well except that the settling down time is long, 4-5 seconds. I think this might be alleviated by using a heavier tripod: the existing light one appears adequate for the 6in model, but the small extra weight of the 8in + dewshield, heater and heavier eyepiece pushes it too far. I have seen a Standard field tripod as for the LX90/200, Meade part 07011, advertised. Does the LS head fit on this tripod?

Thank you, Tom.

#2 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

No, but an adapter shouldn't be that hard to make. The adapter plate should be setup to bolt to the base of the LS8 and be threaded to accept the tripod's 1/2"-13TPI center bolt. Got'ta make one myself.

#3 LTE

LTE

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Scotland

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:56 AM

Thanks, George. I see now that the LS mounting arrangement starts off like the LX series with a center bolt but then
has an additional unit with three bolts to secure the fork
assembly, like the Celestron SE and GPS telescopes.

Tom.

#4 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

I was TRYING to organize things in the basement and picked up a Meade wedge to ETX adapter, which have been selling at the Meade store for $5 (http://store.meade.c...or-etx-125.html). I noticed that it has a 1/2" threaded post in the center. Should be easy to drill the three holes for the LS base, attach the #889 and then mount the assembly to the tripod's center bolt.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics