my new(?) Criterion RV-6

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

They are a bit crude compared to some fancy Refractor scope but the performance is not crude by any means!

#27 greedyshark

greedyshark

Viking 1

• Loc: 3rd Rock

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

I still have my RV6, needs recoated now, I ground down my large Primary clips, so instead of about 6 or 8 defraction spikes I have 4 now and it has helped contrast. Don't be surprised if it gives that C8 a run for the Money on Planetary!
Larry Beach

Larry,

You are right about the planetary performance. My C8 still needs collimated. Be only had it out 2 time since I got it back from you and neither time in good seeing. I do like the RV-6... it is a little long for me but on a short mount and tripod the eyepiece isn't in too bad a position. I used it on my iOptron z25 mount which is quite short. Looks funny on that little mount but does work well.

Mike

Yep...RV-6 contrast should easily best a C8.

Charles

#28 Bonco

Bonco

Gemini

• Loc: Florida

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

After my purchase of the RV6 back in the day, my next purchase was a C8. I was not a happy camper and sent it back to Celestron for warranty check and collimation. When it came back, still the RV6 provided noticably better planetary views and cleaner star images. Sold the C8, still have the RV6. So optically the RV6 was superior, however the mechanics on the C8 were vastly superior. Go figure.
Bill

#29 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

After my purchase of the RV6 back in the day, my next purchase was a C8. I was not a happy camper and sent it back to Celestron for warranty check and collimation. When it came back, still the RV6 provided noticably better planetary views and cleaner star images. Sold the C8, still have the RV6. So optically the RV6 was superior, however the mechanics on the C8 were vastly superior. Go figure.
Bill

Bill,

Size wise I sure do like the C8 but so far the RV-6 is a better performer. In fairness to the C8, I haven't had it out often and never when there was good seeing so it still needs collimation. The only problem I see with the RV-6 is it's length. With any wind I don't think my main mount will handle it as well as the C8. I've gotten spoiled using short refractors the last year but I do want a scope good for higher magnifications.

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics