The double transit

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 skypilgrim

skypilgrim

Apollo

• Loc: PNW, US

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

Anyone else catch the double transit of Jupiter this morning?

Talk about dumb luck, I decided to take a look at Jupiter this morning more on a whim than a plan. I don't normally observe in the wee morning hours on a worknight (morning) but for some reason did today. While still wiping the sleep from my eyes I noticed a big black dot near the edge of the planet. That got my attention. Then as I was finding the optimal magnification I noticed the smaller black dot close to the center of the disk. Wow! It wasn't until I came inside later than I found out it was Ganymede and Io.

It was rather foggy which has the benefit of acting like a filter so Jupiter was never too bright. Unfortunately the fog continued to get thicker and soon I was losing detail. Still, it was fantastic!

Hope others got to see it. :)

Sam

#2 Meepersly

Meepersly

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

Yep, same situation exactly! I set up on a whim and immediately congratulated myself on my great timing. I caught Ganymede's shadow slipping off the edge of the disc, and I had a surprisingly hard time picking Io's(?) shadow out against the cloud band. I later learned that Io was beginning to transit as I packed in, but I had no clue visually.

#3 E_Look

E_Look

Soyuz

• Loc: near New York

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:57 PM

The transiting moons causing the shadows were Io and Europa; Ganymede was a bit too far away to cast any shadows on Jupiter's disk.

The shadows at one point were right by or right on the Great Red Spot!

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

Some superb images here - http://www.cloudynig...6146590/page...

So sorry I missed it !

Pete

#5 E_Look

E_Look

Soyuz

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

Truth to tell, I caught it only because unexpected things in the evening kept me from observing Uranus and Neptune earlier. If I had done that, I would have packed it in shortly after midnight, Jupiter or no Jupiter. But since I didn't get to see anything, I happened to look out a window to the east and saw Jupiter in its incredible glory, and the OTA was sitting outside cooling from earlier anyway, I decided to set up instead of chill and go to bed! (I still want to catch Triton this season!! But I haven't really had good enough seeing nor even transparency lately.)

#6 skypilgrim

skypilgrim

Apollo

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

The transiting moons causing the shadows were Io and Europa; Ganymede was a bit too far away to cast any shadows on Jupiter's disk.

FYI, there were two double transits. One on the 17th with Ganymede and Io and one on the 19th with Io and Europa.

:)

#7 E_Look

E_Look

Soyuz

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

Ah! I should read better- you did say "this morning"! Sorry about that. I missed being right by that much.

But last night there was another "double" (or really, "triple") event, and again, I saw it "accidentally", i.e., I didn't know about it beforehand: I saw Ganymede close up to the limb, then attach, and disappear. Then without knowing it either, I was still observing Jupiter when Europa began to bud out from the opposite limb and break off! Pretty cool stuff! I missed Io coming out from the same side where Ganymede went into, but still, pretty good.

#8 starcrafter

starcrafter

Vostok 1

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

I've been trying to catch a shadow transit of Jupiter since I got my 'scope back in July. Since that time, I've had a string of horrible weather, work, or family commitments that have prevented me from seeing one.

Saturday morning was the day I was hoping to see the transit. I was free from work, and the sky was clear!

Unfortunately for me, the skies were just terrible. While they were clear, the seeing was just god-awful. It was the first time I've been able to see a huge difference in what my EPs can provide under bad conditions. My 14mm was around the cutoff of what the skies could handle -- anything stronger than that made for some very muddled views.

In any event, despite staying up until well into the dawn, I wasn't able to see anything of any detail on Jupiter. It was another big letdown!

#9 skypilgrim

skypilgrim

Apollo

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

Sounds like a great session Ed! :cool:

Hang in there Starcrafter. We all know unpredictable the skies can be! :mad:

Sam

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics