Orion StarShoot II Control Software issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 triangulum

triangulum

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

Just joined forum....great site. I have Meade LX200, ACF 8". I'm using the StarShoot as primary imager. Camera capture software is ok..works good. But the software to control the camera remotely is my issue. I'm using windows 7 because the software didn't work at all with Win 8. Software starts ok and it selects the proper port. My problem is that the software does not allow me to make camera setting changes at computer. I must make changes by pressing each of the five selector buttons. My drivers are ok. I'm using the 50ft 9 pin cable to USB, Orion provides. Can anybody comment. thanks

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

Before you can be helped, we need to know the software you are using for remote control.

#3 triangulum

triangulum

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

Thanks Rod.......it's Orion StarShoot Imaging Systems version SCC 1.0....but in the disc properties under detail tab the version is 2.1.1. This is just the disk to remotely control the cam. Orion has a different disk to capture with...and capture is ok. Jim

#4 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights triangulum !

Your video camera seems to be the Orion StarShoot Deep Space Video Camera II (DSVC-II), a derivative of Mintron's videocam.
Included with the videocam is a USB video capture dongle. This gives you the ability top view/capture/record the videocam's video output from a PC.

What is not included is an IMHO expensive ($99) USB-RS232 serial port dongle, which has a special mini-DIN 8 pin connector on the RS232 serial side to plug into the back of the videocam.

That cable is for the PC control software to talk to the videocam to control it, which is equivalent to manually pushing the 5 buttons in the back of videocam.

There are other DIY methods to remotely control the cam, not always needed to use Orion's solution.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

Yep. You have to have the camera connected to the PC via its serial connector.

#6 triangulum

triangulum

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

Thanks CSS but as noted in my post...I do have the RS232 50 ft cable (converts to USB) I purchased it at same time I got the cam. After selecting my port...the software page lights up and I can make various selections but there is no inter action with camera. I also have a minitron which also works with same capture and control software but, again no indication that a signal is being sent/received from PC to Cam. this equipment and cables are less than yr old. I'm was assuming that if I press any button at PC I expected to see something on the Cam screen. No response at all. jim

#7 Dwight J

Dwight J

Viking 1

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

Could be a problem with the serial to USB converter. Some work well and some don't and it seems to make a difference what OS you are using too. I use a Belkin with no troubles while others say the Keyspan works for them on later versions of Windows (I use XP). Check in "Hardware profiles" to see what the port is doing as well. Changing ports and reloading the drivers for the camera may help. If you don't get "your device is ready to use" message then there is a problem. Once I get a port working with a device I always use that particular port for that device otherwise I have to reload drivers, etc. Hope this helps

#8 triangulum

triangulum

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

Thanks all and thanks Dwight....it was the converter. A friend had spare and it worked with Cam control software. Gave me complete control...could select/change settings at PC. I ordered up two Keyspans. thank again. jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics