• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pef

Pef

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

Good evening all

Unfortunately my first post had to be a sad one, but im in a dilemma. I was just gonna polar align my cg5 mount just now when i noticed that i cant really move the longitude adjustmen skrew.

I even loosened up the other one "which forces" the mount to a lower degree and made sure that the head was moving freely.

Any advice?

Posted Image

#2 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

from just looking at it it seems to be screwed in a very long way, are the threads bottomed out? Try spraying the shaft with liquid wrench or LPS 1,
Kasey

#3 Skunky

Skunky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:39 PM

If its stripped and u can't get it out, you can take cut the mount from the base, and try to push on the screw while unscrwing it. If that won't work, you can cut the end off that screw and screw the screw in so it comes out the inside. Or you can cut the screw, drill it out and tap a new screw.

#4 hottr6

hottr6

Vanguard

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

You are having a hard time moving this screw because there is a load on it.

If you look at the polar axis, there is a tab that rests against the end of this screw. That tab is transferring all the weight of the GEM head (and OTA if it is attached) to the screw, making it hard to remove.

So just relieve the load. The screw will then easily turn.

1) Remove OTA and c/weight
2) Loosen main latitude screw, taking the weight of the GEM head off the screw.

Easy.

#5 Pef

Pef

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

Easier said then done i am afraid.

I tried to remove the weights and the OTA and its still very much stuck.

I would like to point out that this is only my 4-5th polar alignment and im stil abit fuzzy on all this.

But as i understood it, if this "screw" is suppoed to be to far in, then woulnt my axis read something like 70-80 degrees? im still struggeling on getting it to 55 :-(

#6 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

It looks as if the screws may have been reversed. In other words the front screw and rear screw are in the wrong place. The rear screw should bee much longer than the front one. The screw in the pic is bottomed out. It will only "unscrew". (Turn CCW) Do you have a pic of the front screw that you can show to verify?

Stan

#7 PeterR280

PeterR280

Apollo

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

take everything off the mount and take the mount off the tripod. Try removing it while the mount is laying on its side. that should relieve any pressure on the screws. i would also back out the screw on the other side.

#8 k5apl

k5apl

Viking 1

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

One technique used in breaking screws loose in antique cars
might help you. That is try to turn the screw "in", if only
for a slight amount. Then back it out. A little lube will help if you can get to the 'buried' part or its threaded hole. If you take it all apart, you might try heating it with a heat gun then turning it. Wish you success.
All advice about taking weight/stress off it, and getting it to a place to really see it is good.
Wes

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics