2 replies to this topic

#1 DRobb

DRobb

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Hampshire, UK

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:47 PM

Hello,

My name is Dan and I've just joined the cloudy nights forum :ooo:. I'm also long-Arms over at stargazerslounge.

I recently bought the synscan upgrade for my Heq5 mount, but unfortunately have been unable to fit the new parts as the two brass gears are refusing to come off. Yes I have loosened and then removed both screws from each gear.

I've tried WD40 and they are now slipping very easily up and down the shafts, theres just something clearly stopping them from coming all the way off. I suspect some metal, I've also tried heating them up for a long time with a hairdryer...didn't work. :confused:

This is extremely frustrating as you can imagine. There is very little space around the gears and almost no access to the rear of them. I was going to try a gear puller but because of this I can't see how they would help.

Any thoughts? Anyone know of any companies that could remove them for me if not?

I think I've attached an image from reference. If it hasn't worked I'll upload a couple to my flickr and link them here shortly.

Thanks,

Dan

Attached Files

#2 biz

biz

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

Hello,

My name is Dan and I've just joined the cloudy nights forum :ooo:. I'm also long-Arms over at stargazerslounge.

I recently bought the synscan upgrade for my Heq5 mount, but unfortunately have been unable to fit the new parts as the two brass gears are refusing to come off. Yes I have loosened and then removed both screws from each gear.

I've tried WD40 and they are now slipping very easily up and down the shafts, theres just something clearly stopping them from coming all the way off. I suspect some metal, I've also tried heating them up for a long time with a hairdryer...didn't work. :confused:

This is extremely frustrating as you can imagine. There is very little space around the gears and almost no access to the rear of them. I was going to try a gear puller but because of this I can't see how they would help.

Any thoughts? Anyone know of any companies that could remove them for me if not?

I think I've attached an image from reference. If it hasn't worked I'll upload a couple to my flickr and link them here shortly.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan, possibly there is a small burr in the metal shaft at the end so maybe run a fine file around the beveled section to ease it a bit so the gears can slip off. You really shouldn't need a gear puller for something like that.
Cheers
Graham.

#3 piaras

piaras

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Niagara Region

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

Likely the set screw made a raised area on the shaft. This happens all the time. What usually works is to rotate the gear back to where the set screw lines back up. Use a small grinding burr down the hole, to reach the shaft to clear that raised area but in your case that will be difficult. Likely you will have to rotate the gear on the shaft and work the gear off. Once the shaft is clear, file that burr down so that it is not in the way for re-installation of gears etc. There will be a scratch on the interior of the gear as the brass is softer then the steel shaft. This will have no effect on the gear etc as the scratch/groove is not that big.
Pierre

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics