CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need adapter. Any one here know which one I need?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pepperonihead

pepperonihead

Explorer 1

• Loc: San Pedro, Ca.

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:49 PM

Posted Image

purchased this new Explore Scientific straight through finder for my Nexstar 11 GPS. I was not sure if it would fit onto the scope and lo and behold, it doesn't. Obviously I need an adapter or different base so I can use the two ring six screw rings and dove tail that came with the finder. I could put the finder into the existing rings which are shown in the picture, but I don't like the three screws on only one ring. What do I need to make this work?

#2 pepperonihead

pepperonihead

Explorer 1

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:52 PM

More pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Pete-LH

Pete-LH

Messenger

• Loc: Wilmington, DE

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:00 AM

You will need a new base. Possibly a new set of rings and base depending on the x-section design of the foot of the base to the rings that you have. The rings that you have on your finder probably have a proprietary design for the base that fits to the foot of the rings.

There are a variety of suppliers of these: Losmandy, StellarVue, etc.

#4 Rusty35

Rusty35

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:20 AM

Did the new finder not come with a new base?

#5 precaud

precaud

Vanguard

• Loc: north central New Mexico

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

I recently got the non-illuminated version of that finder for use in a standard GSO/Synta shoe, it came with no base. I went to the the ES website, chatted with support online, and they are mailing me the necessary adapter. Pretty good service, I'd say.

#6 pepperonihead

pepperonihead

Explorer 1

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

No it does not come with a base. It has a dove tail only which is shown in one of my picks. I can use it with the existing rings that are on the scope already but I hate that set up with three screws on one ring only. I really want to use it with the two rings that it came with already with six screws.

#7 Geo.

Geo.

Gemini

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

:jump:Good news: that finder brcket has been used for years by Meade for SCTs. :tonofbricks:Bad news there are at least 3 variations of the shoe. Some work if a little metal is removed others are way off. If you get me a fairly precise measured drawing of the shoe I may be able to match it.

pinyachta@hotmail.com

#8 pepperonihead

pepperonihead

Explorer 1

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

I sent you an email.

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:30 AM

No it does not come with a base. It has a dove tail only which is shown in one of my picks. I can use it with the existing rings that are on the scope already but I hate that set up with three screws on one ring only. I really want to use it with the two rings that it came with already with six screws.

If you can mount the front of the finder with an O-ring and if the three rear screws provide sufficient adjustment for alignment, why bother with 6 screws?

Just wondering.

Jon

#10 Mr Greybush

Mr Greybush

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:01 AM

why don't you simply get a Stelarview set like I have that works with the finder.
http://www.stellarvue.com/f80.html

#11 Bill Kocken

Bill Kocken

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Coon Rapids, MN

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

Jon,
I'm with you on the 6 screws question. The only reason I see for 6 screws instead of a o-ring and 3 screws is that 6 screws allow for a wider range of adjustments for times where base isn't mounted very parallel to your scope. Orion's finder uses only 2 screws, with the 3rd point being a spring loaded pin. It's even easier to use. (I have a 6 screw SV finder and while using it is a joy, aligning it is not. )

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics