Photo

Need adapter. Any one here know which one I need?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pepperonihead

pepperonihead

Explorer 1

• Loc: San Pedro, Ca.

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:49 PM

Posted Image

purchased this new Explore Scientific straight through finder for my Nexstar 11 GPS. I was not sure if it would fit onto the scope and lo and behold, it doesn't. Obviously I need an adapter or different base so I can use the two ring six screw rings and dove tail that came with the finder. I could put the finder into the existing rings which are shown in the picture, but I don't like the three screws on only one ring. What do I need to make this work?

#2 pepperonihead

pepperonihead

Explorer 1

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:52 PM

More pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Pete-LH

Pete-LH

Messenger

• Loc: Wilmington, DE

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:00 AM

You will need a new base. Possibly a new set of rings and base depending on the x-section design of the foot of the base to the rings that you have. The rings that you have on your finder probably have a proprietary design for the base that fits to the foot of the rings.

There are a variety of suppliers of these: Losmandy, StellarVue, etc.

#4 Rusty35

Rusty35

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:20 AM

Did the new finder not come with a new base?

#5 precaud

precaud

Apollo

• Loc: north central New Mexico

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

I recently got the non-illuminated version of that finder for use in a standard GSO/Synta shoe, it came with no base. I went to the the ES website, chatted with support online, and they are mailing me the necessary adapter. Pretty good service, I'd say.

#6 pepperonihead

pepperonihead

Explorer 1

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

No it does not come with a base. It has a dove tail only which is shown in one of my picks. I can use it with the existing rings that are on the scope already but I hate that set up with three screws on one ring only. I really want to use it with the two rings that it came with already with six screws.

#7 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

:jump:Good news: that finder brcket has been used for years by Meade for SCTs. :tonofbricks:Bad news there are at least 3 variations of the shoe. Some work if a little metal is removed others are way off. If you get me a fairly precise measured drawing of the shoe I may be able to match it.

pinyachta@hotmail.com

#8 pepperonihead

pepperonihead

Explorer 1

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

I sent you an email.

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:30 AM

No it does not come with a base. It has a dove tail only which is shown in one of my picks. I can use it with the existing rings that are on the scope already but I hate that set up with three screws on one ring only. I really want to use it with the two rings that it came with already with six screws.

If you can mount the front of the finder with an O-ring and if the three rear screws provide sufficient adjustment for alignment, why bother with 6 screws?

Just wondering.

Jon

#10 Mr Greybush

Mr Greybush

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:01 AM

why don't you simply get a Stelarview set like I have that works with the finder.
http://www.stellarvue.com/f80.html

#11 Bill Kocken

Bill Kocken

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Coon Rapids, MN

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

Jon,
I'm with you on the 6 screws question. The only reason I see for 6 screws instead of a o-ring and 3 screws is that 6 screws allow for a wider range of adjustments for times where base isn't mounted very parallel to your scope. Orion's finder uses only 2 screws, with the 3rd point being a spring loaded pin. It's even easier to use. (I have a 6 screw SV finder and while using it is a joy, aligning it is not. )

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics