Photo

I bought a used EXT 125 EC. Need eyepieces!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yakima

yakima

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

I bought a used EXT 125 EC with only 1 eyepiece. It's an older one and it might have a problem with the gears on one side of the forks. It makes a clicking noise when it moves. but it does move. I also want to get a few relatively cheap eyepieces so I can view the upcoming Comet ISON.
any recommendations?

#2 AngryHandyman

AngryHandyman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, BC

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

32mm GSO plossl, 20mm, 15mm, 9mm, 6mm 66 degree Enhanced Wide Angles from Agena Astro. Comfortable, inexpensive and work really well in my F10 SCT.

#3 yakima

yakima

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

Wow! That was quick. I'm a newbie to astronomy. probably got a little burned when I bought the scope but I think I can get it working enough.
I found a eyepiece set from celestron. Curious if it's good enough for my needs?

#4 Lee.S

Lee.S

Explorer 1

• Loc: New Mexico USA

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

welcome Yakima,under the Telescope specific forums,Mead ext,you will find lots of members and information on the EXT's all of which are eager to share their advise

#5 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Vanguard

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

The Celestron Eyepiece Kit ... good choice! It has all the eyepieces and filters you will need. The ETX-125 ... due to its long focal length (f/15) ... doesn't need expensive, exotic eyepieces to achieve great performance. The Plossl eyepieces included in the kit will work just fine! I've owned an ETX-125 for many years and it's a great scope. Have fun and enjoy your new scope!

#6 AngryHandyman

AngryHandyman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, BC

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

A lot of people do get good use out of the Celestron set, but tend to make use of only a few eyepieces long term as the higher powers (smaller mm eyepieces ) are very tight, you have get your eye right in there which I find uncomfortable, not to mention my eyelashes get oils all over the lense.

The ones I listed have a nice large lense, at a comfortable eye relief distance and the whole lot of them will cost about $150. I've been using them for about 2 years and am happy with them.

#7 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

Check out the Astronomic's site, out host as they have a lot of good EP's at reasonable prices, plus you get a discount. The ED ones for $60 would be a great! Very comfortable to use. Otherwise, I see an EP set in the classifieds today for $95 for six EP's a barlow lens and some filters.

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

Bob

#8 yakima

yakima

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

I'll check them out when I get home from work tonight. thanks for all the responses. you guys are great!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics