Polar Aligned C5+ Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Philip Levine

Philip Levine

Viking 1

• Loc: near Boston, MA

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

Up to now, I have used manual tripods/mounts. Recently acquired a Celestron C5+ mount/with hand controller and wedge. I apologize in advance for this newbie question. If I polar align this C5+/wedge mount, will this allow me to auto track objects such as the Moon and Sun? Regardless of what ep is used? This is not intuitive to me, if using a high magnification ep such as a 9mm, the object of interest will of course drift out of the field of view at a faster rate than if using a 14mm ep.
My goal is to adapt/mount a small refractor used for Solar h-alpha observing on the C5+/wedge, and thus hope to auto track without having to constantly adjust to keep the Sun in the field of view.
Thanks in advance for explaining the issues,
Phil

#2 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

It won't be at a perfect solar or lunar tracking rate because the drive runs on sidereal rate. However, the imperfection will take a long time to see. As for what any eyepiece does, the result will be dependant on the focal length of the scope. If it were at the C5's focal length, you could expect to track the moon or sun at 100X for at least an hour.

The mount takes small refractors well, though I did add a shelf on the right side so I could put a small counterweight there to compensate for smaller OTAs on the single arm. I have had refractors as large as a C80ED and the Equinox 80ED on that mount, and found they are a nice complement to the C5.

I also modified the wedge with a couple of turnbuckes to make polar alignment easier.

-Rich

#3 Philip Levine

Philip Levine

Viking 1

• Loc: near Boston, MA

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

Rich,
Thanks so much for your insights and feedback on adapting the C5+ mount to accept a small refractor. Now I know this is a worthwhile project to persue.
Phil

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics