• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 Ryuno

Ryuno

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

I just saw an ioptron eq45 and it was holding up a TeleVue np101. That seemed like a good match and I think the mewlon would be undermounted, specs aside.

I'll try the iEQ45 with a CN-212 today in the shop. I believe you are right. For the Mewlon, it would be undermounting. Not so with the T-Rex. I did first light last night and it was fine.

Heinz

#27 tonyt

tonyt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:20 AM

You're scaring people with those photo's Heinz :grin:
One other essential piece of equipment you need is an air mattress (and maybe a few cushions).

#28 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:02 AM

Hmmm... Heinz, how about a AOK AYOmaster alt/az mount from AOK Swiss?

Stephan

#29 timps

timps

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:45 AM

I've just taken delivery of an IEQ45 but am only considering mounting a 4" - 5" refractor on it.

#30 vskylark

vskylark

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:58 AM

Hello Heinz,

I received my Mewlon 250CRS last week and am anxious to get it outside. A couple more pieces and I'll be there. What is the part number of the accessory plate your rings are mounted on? I want it on a dovetail plate, but am struggling to find the right accessor(y/ies). Everything I found that mounts the rings directly or with an adapter has the wrong spacing for the top plate, which I want to use. Does the plate your rings are mounted on have threads to facilitate connection to a dovetail plate?

Also, I love that that handle, where did you get it?

Thanks in advance,

Mark V

#31 Ryuno

Ryuno

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

Hello Heinz,

I received my Mewlon 250CRS last week and am anxious to get it outside. A couple more pieces and I'll be there. What is the parft number of the accessory plate your rings are mounted on? I want it on a dovetail plate, but am struggling to find the right accessor(y/ies). Everything I found that mounts the rings directly or with an adapter has the wrong spacing for the top plate, which I want to use. Does the plate your rings are mounted on have threads to facilitate connection to a dovetail plate?

Also, I love that that handle, where did you get it?

Thanks in
Mark V

Hello Mark.
First of all, congratulations with your new Mewlon. Which mounting rings are you using,not the Takahashi ones? The plate I am using came as part of a set for mounting theM250. The plate has, as you can see on the picture, a variety of holes, some of which are threaded. I'll send you the brochure. And also the part no., as soon as I get home again, I will mark the threaded holes. However, the plate is a little heavy. There might be lighter possibilities out there. But to not much lighter I'm afraid.
The handle you can buy here: www.kkohki.com

For now all the best.
Heinz

#32 Kunama

Kunama

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:34 PM

Mark,
Have you thought of the Robin Casady Wide Plate for M250S with the 8" saddle it would be my choice for quality, weight saving. Robin is not making them anymore but has some stock left on his website.

Cheers,

#33 vskylark

vskylark

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:16 PM

Heinz,

Thank you for the reply and info. I bought my Mewlon from TNR (US distributor) but didn't get that plate. I spoke to Art about my mounting dilemma (no pun intended). He said he'd get back to me but hasn't yet, likely due to the US holiday. I thought it was odd not getting anything to mount the rings to considering their width being much wider than most typical plates.

Matt,

I have looked at the Robin Casady products. The Large Takahashi plate would cleanly mount the rings but the 180mm front to rear spacing is too short. The top plate screw holes measure what looks like 240mm or 9.5" on center.

I tried the AP adapter blocks but they are either a little too short, a lot too short, or a little too long depending on the orientation. I can use them, but would prefer a cleaner solution. The plate in Heinz's photo is likely what I need to get what I'm after. I'm experimenting with an AP SPD16 dovetail plate for use in an AP DOVELM162 saddle. With the AP SBDTB I can mount the rings and OTA, but not use the top plate.

I've mentioned a lot of part numbers not to overwhelm with info, but to hopefully help others that might find themselves in a similar situation.

Thank you in advance (Heinz) for the additional info/part numbers. Once I'm settled in with my final config I'll post a pic.

Good day to all,

Mark V

#34 vskylark

vskylark

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:45 AM

Here are a couple pics to show the current mount arrangement using the AP adapter blocks. Top shot shows how one orientation of the adapter blocks spaces the front and rear ring too far apart, which is best if I can't use the top plate. The top plate installed only for reference in the photo. The second shot shows a closer view of the AP adapter.

Attached Files

#35 vskylark

vskylark

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:52 AM

It looks so small in the photos. That's a 16" X 5" X 1" AP dovetail plate.

#36 Ryuno

Ryuno

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

Hi Mark

I just sent you a PM with some info.

Heinz

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics