Mount control software conflicts, Astrotortilla

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

I have no idea if this was the best place for this post but here goes. I'm spent a lot of time today trying to get the observatory software operating for the current new imaging season here in Florida, but I failed miserably! I'm trying to get BYEOS, Stellaruim, and Astrototilla all working. The issue is that only one program can connect to the mount at a time, but when they do they work wonderfully. How about an example?

I run Stellarium ( latest version with the new scope control plug in), and it works fine. I have complete control of the mount, and can slew all over the star map, no problem. Great!

I then run Astrotortilla. It connects with BYEOS OK, and I then select the Ascom / Celestron driver. No errors, but I can tell it didn't really connect as the current / target info is still all zeros, and the colored tracking indicator is not there!

So I disconnect the scope connection in Stellarium, go back to "AT" and now it connects fine with proper numbers and the tracking indicator?

If I go back to the scope selection in Stellarium, and click connect, it won't do it!! GRRRRRRR! It's not just a "AT" issue either. If I bring up the Ascom tool and try to connect to the mount it say no Celestron found on com port. Again with Stellarium shut down the ASCOM tool connects right away.

To go on, the Nextstar software hand controller will not connect to the mount if ANY of the other software has already connected. The correct com port won't show up. By itself, no problem

To sum it all up, None of my mount control software will will connect to the mount if any other one has already connected. The combination does not seem to matter? And, It all works fine separately.

All software the latest versions.
All has been reinstalled.
USB adapter is the recommend Keyspan unit ( works great with individual programs)
Scope is a Celestron CGE
Windows 7 64Bit

Is anyone else using the lasted Stellarium with the new plug in instead of Stellarium-Scope, and using a Celestron scope?

I have searched the Internet for hours this afternoon, but can't find this issue. Most others seem to be using either the older Stellarium, or a EQMOD scope.

Help!

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

To use a single port with multiple programs, a virtual hub is necessary. You would connect the hub to the mount, then connect the various programs to the hub. If your software is ASCOM compatible you can use use the ASCOM-supplied hub, POTH (Plain Old Telescope Hub). Other hubs are available, including the one supplied with Celestron's NexRemote software - but I think most folks use POTH. I do.

#3 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:14 PM

Thanks.

I know of POTH, but that's just for ASCOM programs right? Maybe that's the issue. I don't think the recent internal scope control in Stellarium is ASCOM compliant? Perhaps in all the many posts I've read on people using BYEOS, Stellarium, and Astrotortilla, No one else has used the this now 3 year old version of Stellarium. Could I be the only one? You would think there would have been at least a mention...

Anyway I now believe it to be the case that everyone must be using the old Stellrium Scope add on. Time to downgrade versions.....

#4 ldesign1

ldesign1

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

Thanks.

I know of POTH, but that's just for ASCOM programs right? Maybe that's the issue. I don't think the recent internal scope control in Stellarium is ASCOM compliant? Perhaps in all the many posts I've read on people using BYEOS, Stellarium, and Astrotortilla, No one else has used the this now 3 year old version of Stellarium. Could I be the only one? You would think there would have been at least a mention...

Anyway I now believe it to be the case that everyone must be using the old Stellrium Scope add on. Time to downgrade versions.....

There's no need to downgrade your Stellarium version. StellariumScope has a newer version that works with v12.2 of Stellarium and possibly up to 12.4 which is the latest.

StellariumScope

#5 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:49 PM

A better solution would be an ASCOM mount driver that supports multiple connections without an external hub like POTH. Ray Gralak's AP driver does this...

#6 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

A better solution would be an ASCOM mount driver that supports multiple connections without an external hub like POTH. Ray Gralak's AP driver does this...

The current Celestron / ASCOM driver is all I'm aware of, and I don't have the ability to write a new one unfortunately. :grin:

Some more questions please...

Can anyone confirm that the current ASCOM / Celestron driver does not accept multiple connections by itself? It sure won't do it for me!

I read that the most recent ASCOM platform has internal HUB support. Is this true? If so, How do I set that up exactly?

When using StellariumScope with recent versions of Stellarium, do you still need to alter the INI file as in the past? Do I just go into the new plug-in setup screen, and select remote computer / software? Anything else? Instruction for setting the old S-Scope add on with newer Versions of Stell. are rather scarce.

#7 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

I think using POTH might work..

#8 ldesign1

ldesign1

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

After you install StellariumScope and start it for the first time, it will tell you to update the INI file. Just click the (Update Stellarium INI) button on the main window.

It works perfectly with my AZ/EQ6-GT mount but not so well with the LX200GPS.

#9 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:09 PM

I'm running the ASCOM platform 6 SP1 and have no problems with CdC, PhD, and AstroTortilla connecting to the mount at the same time. My mount is an Atlas (EQ6), run with EQASCOM (aka EQMOD). I also had no problems with these programs working together with ASCOM 6.

One critical requirement for multiple programs connecting to ASCOM as the same time is that all of them must be running under the same userid. This can be a problem if you've marked one (or more) as "run as administrator".

Phil

#10 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

But... EQMOD may be implementing the hub functionality within it, as EQMOD is probably the most elaborate ASCOM driver out there... if would help if cn_register5 (who wrote the Celestron ASCOM driver) would chime in here..

#11 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

But... EQMOD may be implementing the hub functionality within it, as EQMOD is probably the most elaborate ASCOM driver out there... if would help if cn_register5 (who wrote the Celestron ASCOM driver) would chime in here..

I agree. I think Eqmod has a built in hub, and the celestron driver does not.

Looking over many posts, It seems everyone doing Astrotortilla is either using a EQMOD scope or is using a old version of Stellarium! I can't find anyone with a Celestron scope and using the newer built (non ASCOM)in scope plug in for Stellarium .. It seems I'm the only one! Just loveley. ;)

Making progress

It was easy enough to select (Generic HUB) within the ASCOM system then set the Hub to the Celestron driver. I also downloaded the StellaruimScope add on, and configured it for the Generic Hub too.

So, Now Astrototilla, AND the StellariumScope add on WILL connect at the same time.

YEAH!

BUT, S-SCOPE apparently won't work with Stellarium 12.4! When I run the S-Scope updater I get a INI config error. So I'm downloading Version 12.2 right now. I'll have to downgrade.

What a PITA. I do remember reading about needing a HUB a while back when researching Observatory software. But, had forgotten, andnone of the recent Astrotortilla posts mentioned it, so that threw me. I guess everyone using EQMOD was the reason. I assumed that the Celestron driver worked the same way, but you know what happens when you assume! :grin:

#12 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

Update :

StellariumScope seems to work OK with ST Version 12.2

It all seems to be working together now. Thanks for all the suggestions. Love this forum, and I hope all this info helps the next guy.

#13 blave

blave

Lift Off

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:47 PM

Just another data point: My mount is an iOptron iEQ45, and its driver does not allow multiple connections. So I use POTH Hub and then point that to the .NET iOptron driver (Win7).

In order to not get error messages, I have to connect PHD (guiding) to POTH first; then can start up other clients -- in my case, StellariumScope/Stellarium (v12.1; I do need to update!), and Sequence Generator Pro.

I haven't tried Generic Hub though. Might see if it works for me...

Dave B.

#14 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

EQMOD does indeed work as a hub. The Celestron driver? Not sure, but I do not think so.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics