• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:40 AM

Guys,

I've got a small problem with my new EQ8. It seems after I do a 3-star alignment and read the AZ and El of the mount alignment,I make adjustments and do it all over again.

Now, after getting 5'of arc in both Azimuth and Elevation, when I do a GOTO to whatever target I choose, that object is nowhere to be seen in the FOv of the C14 fastar, which is 2 x 1.5 Deg.

Anyone got a solution to this? Maybe it's bug in the firmware 3.35?

One would expect any mount with a near spot-on PA to put an object within the FOV.

Other than this, the EQ8 is a superb mount. Wives should have one so husbands can test it out.

James

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:12 AM

So have done the Polar alignment routine ?
And your location and date/time is correct ?

How do you get 2 x 1.5 deg field ?
What camera are you using ?

#3 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

I have all correct settings. My PA is spot-on.

I use a Starlight Express SXVR M25C which as a half frame chip. With a C14 fastar at F1.9, the FOV is just that.

Anyway, it seems there is a bug in the current firmware of this mount. Others are saying to do a 2-star alignment instead until that bug is fixed up in the next upgrade of the firmware.

FYI, I've been in astronomy for 62 years and have designed and built mounts up to 1 ton payloads.

cheers,

James

#4 Tapio

Tapio

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:40 AM

Sorry for asking silly questions ;)

#5 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:42 AM

FYI, I've been in astronomy for 62 years and have designed and built mounts up to 1 ton payloads.

Wow, would love to see the scope on that saddle :bow:

Guylain

#6 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:52 AM

No, your questions were valid. I think many more EQ8 users will soon know they too, are not alone on this.

No doubt Synta will fix this bug.

cheers,

#7 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

That mount was all steel and weighed in at 3 ton. It was a long time ago ~40 years. The mount was forks which swung a 24" Schmidt camera that used 8x10" sheet film. I've lost the pics of that beast. I've since made mounts that give the user hernias! lol... Even my own GEM can take up to 800kgs payloads and it swings a 12" F15 C/Cass which is a feather to the mount. BTW, I'm the guy that got your BYE premiums which you refunded for one, here in Australia. BYE is my #1 DSLR program.

#8 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:49 PM

I have the same issue with my EQ6 mount. This can have a number of causes, including:
1. Tripod not level before starting alignment.
2. Cone error in the scope attachment to the mount.
3. Errors in the home position of the scope.
4. Errors in the location and time settings.
5. Polar alignment errors.

The EQ8 shouldn't have any errors from the home position because it has the additional position encoders. If you've turned them off, then they won't be helping you with the mount's home position.

My usual solution, loosening the clutches and doing a "push to" for ONLY the first alignment star (after polar alignment) will work on the EQ8 only if the encoders are disabled.

Phil

#9 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:13 AM

Phil,

All you said has been done. I have an EQ6 and that too is way out. Apparently there is a bug in the latest Skyscan firmware which is affecting ALL EQ mounts that use Skyscan V 3.35 down to 3.32.

In the older 3.27 version it had a damn good pointing after a 1, 2 or 3 star alignment.

I have not engaged the encoders of the EQ8 until this alignment matter is fixed. Some say do a 2-star as it's the 3rd (Cone error) which is at fault.

I thought by now Synta would have fixed this bug, but it seems when they add more bells and whistles, it upsets something else.

I'll be back...

#10 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

I have the same issue with my EQ6 mount. This can have a number of causes, including:
1. Tripod not level before starting alignment.
2. Cone error in the scope attachment to the mount.
3. Errors in the home position of the scope.
4. Errors in the location and time settings.
5. Polar alignment errors.

Out of these things, only the last will affect final polar alignment quality. The rest will only affect how close the mount comes to the alignment stars. Oh, number two can have an effect if you have not done a 3-star alignment. ;)

#11 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

There a lot of complaints of the goto accuracy if you have updated the firmware. If you can roll back the 3 star alignment will start working again. If you can not most are recommending doing 2 star alignment only. Iceinspace has some threads on the problem.

#12 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

In the meantime is this issue resolved with new firmware version?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics