Photo

Angular seperation between two objects / Software?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aa6ww

aa6ww

Viking 1

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

Does anyone know of any Astronomy software, preferably a free download for Windows 7 that can show the angular separation in degrees and arc minutes just by clicking on one object, then clicking on a second object?
This is a pretty valuable feature I have used for star hopping for ages with some very basic software, which is not usable on windows 7.
I've migrated over to Stellarium, but it doesn't seen to have this feature.
I've seen "Angular Separation "Calculators" online which requires one to insert the coordinates into a "calculator" for this, but I haven't run across something as simple as just clicking on one object, then clicking on another, and the separation shows up on the screen.

Thanks for any information on this.

Ralph in Sacramento.

#2 pjglad

pjglad

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

Actually, Stellarium has this feature. You need to enable the Angle Measure Plugin in the Configuration window.

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

The freeware program, Cartes du Ciel has this feature... Skytools 3 also has it.

Sky Safari provides the separation and angle between the last two objects selected.

Jon

#4 aa6ww

aa6ww

Viking 1

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:36 AM

Thank you both of you for this information. Its actually huge for me to know this. I've kept reverting back to my Win XP laptop because I wanted to hold on to this feature with my older software.
I tried it on Stellarium tonight and it really works great. I can just click on the Angle Icon in the lower toolbar beside the occular button, or do a Ctrl A to activate it
Thanks again for your help, from both of you.

...Ralph

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics