SkyFi or SkyQ for CGEM

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Relativist

Relativist

Skylab

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:56 AM

I'm considering getting either SkyFi or SkyQ to control my CGEM mount with my iPhone/iPad/Macbook or whatever. Is there any advantage to the SkyQ, over the SkyFi that seems to support more mounts?

:question:

#2 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:58 AM

SkyFi by a mile - please skip SkyQ. I have the later, and used SkyWire with SSPro. On paper SkyQ is a great, integrated idea, but I've posted before, the app side of it leaves alot to be desired - another one of those half-written s/w that could/should have gotten better with new versions, but I don't think they are putting any effort into making the app any better or bug-free; a real pity.

#3 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:30 AM

I'm considering getting either SkyFi or SkyQ to control my CGEM mount with my iPhone/iPad/Macbook or whatever. Is there any advantage to the SkyQ, over the SkyFi that seems to support more mounts?

I have the SkyFi which I use with SkySafari Pro on an iPad and have controlled my CGE and CGEM DX. It works perfectly and the software is the very best I've ever seen for its intended use. Highly recommended!

#4 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

• Loc: Desierto de Sonora

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:51 AM

Another vote for the SkyFi. Great little device that just works. If you want to save a few bucks you can order the "StarSeek" Orion-branded version. It's the same product.

#5 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

If you have wifi where you and your scope is, give this a try!

It will allow you to use Sky Safari. of just about any other program to control your mount WITHOUT the investment of SkyFi or SkyQ link.

It's rock solid, I use it to control my mount with SS, TheSkyX, Astroplanner. Next time i'm on NSN and see you on Curtis, we can chat about it!

Andy

#6 snommisbor

snommisbor

Viking 1

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

SkiFi is great it is what I use when I am doing visual. Clean, no wires, quick to set up and sync.

#7 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

I use the SkyFi and Sky Safari with my CGEM and it is amazing!

#8 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:33 PM

SkySafari and SkiFi by a mile. True Wifi Scope is free, but then you have to leave a laptop out at the telescope.

Al

#9 Relativist

Relativist

Skylab

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

If you have wifi where you and your scope is, give this a try!

It will allow you to use Sky Safari. of just about any other program to control your mount WITHOUT the investment of SkyFi or SkyQ link.

It's rock solid, I use it to control my mount with SS, TheSkyX, Astroplanner. Next time i'm on NSN and see you on Curtis, we can chat about it!

Andy

Thanks for this! This is probably the way I'll go. :jump:

#10 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:40 PM

The laptop doesnt have to be at the scope, I have my mount/cams/etc plugged into a 4 port powered hub, a 54 foot active extension USB cable that runs into my garage. If anything, it makes things easier, I can use all the cool gadgets, and I didnt spend 150 on the wifi adapter.

#11 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

• Loc: Desierto de Sonora

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

True, you didn't spend $150, but WiFi Scope requires the presence of an active WiFi network to function, correct? That restricts where you can use it pretty significantly since it's not portable. You can use SkyFi anywhere. Your favorite dark sky site for example. ;) WELL worth $150 if you ask me.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics