• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 navorche123

navorche123

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:45 AM

Hi guys
I have recently bought a 6 inch Newtonian( not delivered yet )..that comes with a eq2 mount.
I was just wondering if there is any way to use that mount for my nikon 12x50 binoculars as well...using some adapter or some ingenuity. .?
Thank you l

#2 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

• Loc: Grand Isle, VT

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:01 AM

Yes you could do it. But you'd have to find some way to get into position to view through the binocs. Handstands can get a little tiring if you have to use them for too long...

The sky moves so slowly at 12x that you don't need a tracking mount.

#3 navorche123

navorche123

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

Ok..but is there any special adapter that I would need?

#4 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

The Nikon binos you have can use a standard bino L bracket that attaches with a 1/4"-20 screw into the binocular hinge. The bottom of the L bracket would have to attach to the mount with a 1/4" stud.

Even so, binoculars need to remain pretty much horizontal for comfortable viewing; a GEM mount will make the binos inscribe an arc as it tracks. Twisting your neck sideways to look through the binos can be painful! ;)

Also, even if you could keep the binos level, the low height of the EQ2 tripod will likely keep you from finding a comfortable position to view from.

If you can lay the RA axis horizontal and use the GEM as an alt/az, which I don't know, at least the binos will be in the required horizontal orientation. Whether you can comfortably view this way is another question...

Your best bet would be to get a tall monopod or inexpensive tall photo tripod with a 2-way video head.

A good read from the Binocular forum:

Binocular Mounts - Tripods - Adapters - Motions - Homemade

Rich

#5 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

This has already been answered in generalities, so here are some specific parts (I am sure there are other sources for these then Orion as well)

- Adaptor to go from the EQ2 to a 1/4-20 bolt (when the EQ2 is used without the newtonian)
- Binocular adaptor that can be used with any tripod, monopod, or other 1/4-20 bolt connection

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics