• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ngchunter

ngchunter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sarasota, FL

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

This youtube poster has a long history of stealing images and video from NSN and claiming it as his own (not to mention claims that it shows some "massive object" approaching earth). In the past I've caught him stealing from Smiling Chicken observatory as well as others. The second half of this video shows footage from some sort of astronomy video setup, including an OSD I don't recognize (but I haven't kept up with the latest developments).
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=95eM_A8GWT0
If anyone recognizes the footage, especially if it's their footage, please let me know.

#2 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Vanguard

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

Post deleted by Dragon Man

#3 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Vanguard

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

#4 mpgxsvcd

mpgxsvcd

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

Dragon Man,

You could can claim a copyright infringement to youtube and if you chose place ads on his video and collect the proceeds from it. It won’t be much but he has 6000 views already so it could get bigger.

That or you can just ask youtube to remove the video. If he denies the copyright then you have to prove that it is yours. That won’t be fun.

Another thing is that in some cases and in some countries it is completely legal to use someone elses work without their permission. You have to meet criteria like it would have to be a parody or perhaps a scientific learning tool or even if it is considered journalism. However, there are several other things that can even disqualify those fair uses.

If you need any other help with dealing with this let me know. I have a lot of experience dealing with the youtube copyright issues and Adsense for collecting money from the ads on youtube.

#5 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Vanguard

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:28 AM

#6 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Vanguard

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

#7 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

It is unfortunate but people like that will always exist. On a light note, a friend of mine at work has a really nice mid-60's Shelby Cobra Mustang. He frequently took it to car shows in the area where many people photographed it. One day he is walking down the toy aisle at his local Kmart, looks up at one of the puzzle boxes and to his great suprize, sees his car on the front of one of the puzzle boxes. The photo was taken in a public place so no recompense to him but he did buy one.

#8 mpgxsvcd

mpgxsvcd

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

My understanding is that this is the correct form to use when you are claiming that you want the adsense money for a video that has used your copy written material. You have to have an adsense account for that.

https://support.goog...nue_share?hl=en

#9 mpgxsvcd

mpgxsvcd

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:09 AM

Interesting to note that my video has been in You Tube for 2.5 years with only 'Likes'

In the last 5 minutes it has recieved its first 'Dislike'.
Gee, I wonder who Disliked it!
It wouldn't be the fraud poster that I messaged would it? :lol:

I wouldn’t have contacted him directly in any way. Dealing directly with the person is never a good thing in cases like this. Youtube will handle it if you go through the proper channels.

I am going to check his videos for any of my stuff. If he has used it then I will just claim the adsense money on it and then actually promote his channel. I figure if I am collecting money on it then why not let it stay up there.

Where it gets really dicey is if he used both of our stuff in one video. How do they determine who has the rights to it?

#10 ZR WON

ZR WON

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

I commented publicly to the video he stole from my broadcast and it was removed within minutes. That may be why he/she disabled comments...

Brian A.

Smiling Chicken Observatory

#11 mpgxsvcd

mpgxsvcd

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

I commented publicly to the video he stole from my broadcast and it was removed within minutes. That may be why he/she disabled comments...

Brian A.

The video or the comment was removed?

#12 ngchunter

ngchunter

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

Thank you for your Vigilance!
Yes, part of that video is stolen from one of my You Tube videos. :flame:
Where he shows the On Screen Display.
You can see the OSD section in my own video here at the 31 seconds mark: https://www.youtube....h?v=JHiCNmYdkaE

I have left a message but he has it set that he has to approve any messages in there, so I doubt mine will show up.

I left this message:

You are a con and a fake.

Your video is made up from several other peoples videos.
The On-screen-display- settings are stolen from my video!
Remove this video or have it reported to You Tube for Plagerism and copyright breach!

To see where part of this fake video comes from, click on my username and look in my videos for 'Live Video Astronomy with Samsung SCC-A2333'.

Thank you for the information! I knew as soon as I saw that OSD one of you guys probably knew or had the true original video. If you file a copyright complaint, which it looks like you have, the video will be taken down. I've had to do something similar before, but the person whose video it is has to be the one to file the complaint for it to work.

#13 ngchunter

ngchunter

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

Brian A.

The video or the comment was removed?

The video; he takes down his videos as soon as he finds out that he's been busted. You need to file a complaint with youtube for him to get flagged as a repeat thief, but he knows if he takes it down as soon as he's caught he won't be flagged.

#14 ngchunter

ngchunter

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

My understanding is that this is the correct form to use when you are claiming that you want the adsense money for a video that has used your copy written material. You have to have an adsense account for that.

You don't have to have an adsense account. I do not and I have succeeded in having videos removed where my material was stolen in similar incidents. They may request more information after you file the form, but you just have to explain that your footage was used by them without your permission. Skyview is using adsense on his account, and he will lose that account for plagiarizing copyrighted material.

#15 ngchunter

ngchunter

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

Interesting to note that my video has been in You Tube for 2.5 years with only 'Likes'

Wow, probably. It would be against the rules of the forum to say what I'd like to say about that lol.

#16 mpgxsvcd

mpgxsvcd

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

You don't have to have an adsense account. I do not and I have succeeded in having videos removed where my material was stolen in similar incidents. They may request more information after you file the form, but you just have to explain that your footage was used by them without your permission. Skyview is using adsense on his account, and he will lose that account for plagiarizing copyrighted material.

You have to have an AdSense account to collect money off of his video if you chose to leave it up there. It sounds like you just want it taken down. In that case they will probably get around to doing that one day.

#17 ngchunter

ngchunter

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

You have to have an AdSense account to collect money off of his video if you chose to leave it up there. It sounds like you just want it taken down. In that case they will probably get around to doing that one day.

I see, yes, we were on two different pages there. I would rather it be taken down, though the decision is up to the copyright holder of course (Dragon Man). I think he's for taking it down as well. If it were just a straight copy of his video without all the nonsense I can see the wisdom in leaving it up, but it presents false information that thousands of people are viewing and many are falling for.

#18 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

Post deleted by nytecam

#19 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Vanguard

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:30 AM

#20 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Vanguard

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:33 AM

#21 mpgxsvcd

mpgxsvcd

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

I wouldn’t have contacted him directly in any way. Dealing directly with the person is never a good thing in cases like this. Youtube will handle it if you go through the proper channels.

I am going to check his videos for any of my stuff. If he has used it then I will just claim the adsense money on it and then actually promote his channel. I figure if I am collecting money on it then why not let it stay up there.

Where it gets really dicey is if he used both of our stuff in one video. How do they determine who has the rights to it?

Travis, I didn't message him directly.
I attempted to post that message in his You Tube Video comment section under his video where everyone writes comments.

But he has it set up that he has to approve comments before they show up, and he isn't going to do that.

I see. It isn't worth even doing that. He can report your comments as harrasment. It is a big mess. Just file the copyright claim and they will deal with it sooner than if you just report the issue with that Flag icon. That report flag is used for a lot of different issues so they don't automatically respond to it right away. Based on some legal issues they had in the past with Viacom they are required to respond to copyright claims right away.

That is why if you use the copyright claim form they will immediately look at it. I used that form before on my own videos because they were dragging their feet putting ads on my videos. It worked but they caught on quickly to what I was doing and asked me to stop using that form for my own videos. It is intended for making claims against other people's videos. At the time I used it I was not aware of that fact.

#22 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

Thanks Ken - I found the "flag" and posted to YT a copyright violation on my YT vid but intenet so slow it timedout after getting YT msg of blank acknowledgement :p

#23 JimT

JimT

Viking 1

• Loc: Milky Way Galaxy

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:20 PM

Just in case you never really looked . In the site rules.

Broadcasters own the rights to all their productions on NSN. Users are not permitted to distribute, sell, remarket, rebrand, or use any portion of the video, broadcast, or images in any way shape or form, without verifiable authorization by the broadcaster. Verifiable means that it can actually be verified, verbal agreements are void and not acceptable reguardless of state / provincial law. NSN reserves the right to use any and all productions by any broadcasters without previous approval. Though we will ask anyway.

#24 mpgxsvcd

mpgxsvcd

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

I confirmed with youtube that the correct URL to use to submit a copyright claim is below. If you use any other URL then they basically won't do anything about it.

Hello,
To learn more about this topic, please visit our Help Center at http://youtube.com/y...complaint.html.
Sincerely,

The YouTube Team

#25 germana1

germana1

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:27 PM

Bad link for Me comes up 404 error
Pete

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics