• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Binomania.it

Binomania.it

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Italy

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:16 AM

Good morning from Italy. Finally, i've found an Old OTA of this Maksutov. Some time ago I wrote a review of its on cloudynights.
http://www.cloudynig...hp?item_id=1170
For this reason, I had a little 'desire to compare it to my Taka FS 128 and to write a new article. Is there anyone who owned it on the forum? Do You kindly write your impressions?
Piergiovanni

#2 Live_Steam_Mad

Live_Steam_Mad

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Moss Bank, St.Helens, England

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

I would be interested to see comparison articles of the Meade 7" Mak and other 'scopes. I have one as a bare OTA that I recently removed the 3.5Kg heavy cast iron disc weight out of so that it now weighs only 7.5Kg, it's an ex-LX50 'scope. BTW I also last night turned the fan around in the housing so that it now *blows* cold air directly onto the back of the primary (instead of sucking warm air out from around the side of a 1 inch thick cast iron disc weight! - I was told that directly blowing cold air into the 'scope is more effective than sucking warm air out) when the tip of the 12V DC power plug was positive.

I have no mount for it yet (I am hoping to get an LXD75 or Bresser Exos Goto 2 for Xmas) but when I finally get my mount I will be able to directly compare it to my 4" F8 Meade StarNavigator 102 and hopefully to my friend Jon's 8" ACF (unless he's already moved to Kent by then).

Cheers,

Alistair G.

#3 Binomania.it

Binomania.it

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:58 PM

Dear Alistair, thanks for your experience. I'll probably receive my OTA next week. It was an old OTA version without the iron disc. I am going to compare it vs my Takahashi FS 128, a Skywatcher Mak of a friend of mine, and some other telescopes. I will inform you as soon as possible.

#4 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

It's pretty popular. There are quite a few imagers who use them. Do an equipment search over on astrobin.

#5 Binomania.it

Binomania.it

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

It's pretty popular. There are quite a few imagers who use them. Do an equipment search over on astrobin.

Many thanks!
Piergiovanni

#6 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:21 PM

I have had 3 of them and have never been disappointing in any
of them. I have one now a UHTC version that I took the chance on after it was sold and was being returned. I took a chance on it and it has incredible optics!
My favorite Planetary scope. I just don't like the Mirror lock because It was mainly to stop mirror creep for primary
focus Astrophotography, The problem with everyone I have serviced is cranking down on it at high mags can throw the collimation off a little. Focusing with a final CCW twist solves issues anyway..
I have every confidence that you are going to be happy.
It should be a tight race between your two, The seeing is goinf to be an issue, the larger 7" tube will suffer more than the 5". I saw the shootuot between one of the Maks and a 9.25" The larger tube won out but was surprisingly close!
They are a classic tube.
I would like to see a shootout between the Meade 180 and Orion's version..
Your either a Mak guy or not it seems, the cool down time is not for everyone..

#7 The Ardent

The Ardent

Apollo

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:15 PM

I bought a Meade LX200 Classic version in 2001. I had many good nights with it. Numerous times at public viewing, visitors commented that the views in Mak were much better than the other scopes. Many of them never looked thru a telescope before.
I moved on to other scopes and haven't used the Mak in 5 years. Plan to remove the OTA and weight sometime.
Meade did a few things right with this scope. Too bad about the weight and the deception of the fans. And its just a rip-off of the Questar 7, not an orginal design.

#8 Binomania.it

Binomania.it

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:20 AM

Good morning from a rainy Italy. In past years I've owned a couple of Schmidt Cassegrain (Celestar 8, C9.25) and Maksutov Cassegrain. (Intes).
Actually I observe, not only with Taka FS 128, but also through a small Meade Etx 125. Usually I place the telescope, in the garden, a couple of hours before dinner. So i am patient:-) Unfortunately, in northern Italy, the temperature drops quickly at night. For this reason I had sold my C9.25 and bought a small Taka FS 128. I hope that the Meade cooling fan will do a good job:-)I wanted to have at home the Meade 7" because it was a dream of mine when I was a university student penniless.:-)
By the way if there are cooling problems I will use an external fan that I had bought for C9.25
I am very sorry that Meade has taken off the market his 7" Mak. With some technological innovations would still be an excellent telescope. Currently companies give more attention to the photographers and this is not right for us poor visualist of the moon and planets Moreover, long focal length telescopes are very comfortable. I start to have problems with floaters, for that reason I prefer to use the 10 mm eyepieces focal length than 2.8mm. I've problem with floaters especially observing the lunar surface. For this reason, in this kind of observations, with Taka Fs128 i use a binoviewer. Not particolar problem, with planets..for now.
I will not be able to make a comparison with an Orion Mak, I though, I can do with a Sky-Watcher Maksutov 180mm. Excuse me for my poor english.

#9 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

I think the Skywatcher 180 MCT is your best bet as it is readily available. You could wait for a used Meade 7" MCT or an I-M M715 or M703, but it might be a long wait.

Bill

#10 orion61

orion61

Aurora

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

And its just a rip-off of the Questar 7, not an original design.

Actually it is not a rip off, it has an eliptoid Primary. The Questar's optics are ground differently.
but they are F15 and close enough in quality (for Me) to not be worth the thousands of $ difference....
I may know of one for sale... PM Me

#11 The Ardent

The Ardent

Apollo

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

The idea, not the execution.

Questar 90, Questar 7......Meade ETX 90, Meade Mak 7"

Tell me that's a coincidence. :lol:

#12 orion61

orion61

Aurora

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

Then Questar is a copy of the Russian scopes..hahaha...
I had a Questar once, I must admit, it was the most beautifully crafted scope I have ever touched, If you can buy
one reasonably they are a nice investment/Heirloom.
Unfortunately, mine was made in 1958, tho mint, optics were horrible 1/2 wave SA. Made before Questar did optics in house.
I had a hundred compliments. I HAVE to admit I spent more time playing and polishing it than observing....

#13 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

Actually it is not a rip off, it has an eliptoid Primary. The Questar's optics are ground differently.
but they are F15 and close enough in quality (for Me) to not be worth the thousands of $ difference....

It can't be any good, it's a Meade, donchaknow. :lol:

#14 Binomania.it

Binomania.it

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:49 AM

Hello "Uncle" . I just finished reading your book here in Italy. I have seen that you have spoken well enough for Meade ETX but you have done only a few hints of the Meade 7 "
When is a Mak 7 "from Celestron? :-)

#15 kingyo

kingyo

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Hong Kong

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:39 AM

I also want to engage myself with meade 7" mak.
If someone want to sell it, please contact me.

#16 Illinois

Illinois

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:36 AM

I have Orion 180mm Mak-Cass and I like it very much for planets and moon. One thing is cool much longer but it don't bother me. I would like to hear from your Meade 7 first light report!

#17 orion61

orion61

Aurora

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

It can't be any good, it's a Meade, donchaknow. :lol:

Rod when did they let YOU out of your padded cell? :jump:...

#18 Binomania.it

Binomania.it

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

Good evening from Italy. My "new" Meade Mak 7 "is finally ready. These days I cleaned and collimated it. Yesterday evening I made the first star test. The diffraction image is identical both in intra-focal and extra-focal. Definitely best of all the S-C I've owned! Shame that Meade did not produce more. Here are some photos:
Piergiovanni

Attached Files

#19 Binomania.it

Binomania.it

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

Attached Files

#20 Binomania.it

Binomania.it

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

Attached Files

#21 Binomania.it

Binomania.it

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

Attached Files

#22 Live_Steam_Mad

Live_Steam_Mad

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Moss Bank, St.Helens, England

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

Did you do any comparisons yet between your Tak 128 Refractor and your 7" Meade Maksutov Cassegrain yet? I'd be interested to hear any results that you have.

Did yours have any blue tint to the secondary mirror coating like mine did?

Best Regards,

Alistair G.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics