M57 central star in 1 second !

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

Ended a quick session tonight under arising Hunter's Moon on M57 [Ring Neb] and surprised to record the central star in just 1 sec exposure via 12" SCT @ f/2.8 + Lodestar-C below. Main pic 10s exp with inset right enlarged x2 in 1s; 2s; 3s exps. ;)
What's your briefest to record this star :question:

Attached Files

#2 Relativist

Relativist

Skylab

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:20 AM

I don't know if I asked this, but do you broadcast on NSN at all? Would love to see this live!

#3 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

Nice! It's visible in the large image; but the side images really show it well! :bow:

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

Carol,

The large aperture scope, very fast optics, sensitive camera, and effective image processing (and being put together by someone with real experience) all combine to make this a piece of cake. The central star in M57 is one of a number of examples of traditional tests for visual observers that are pretty simple for the assisted viewing crew.

#5 jdbastro

jdbastro

Messenger

• Loc: W. Coast

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:24 AM

... What's your briefest to record this star :question:

Very nice pics. Good color.

OK, how's this? Exposure time of 0.5 sec. Look for the central star in the blowup pic (upper right corner). I got it right?

Equipment: Tak Mewlon 250 @ f12, Gen 3 thin-film image intensifier, Panasonic GH3 camera. Location: Mount Pinos, CA.

My pic is in color, too - NV green!

Attached Files

#6 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:08 AM

Excellent result for 0.5s and much as I'd expect from an EOD:-) Did think about going lower exp on the night but will next time - challenge on !

#7 Chris A

Chris A

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

I think the question that Curtis has brought up but over looKed is very important Maurice and I also would love if you could do a demonstration using your Lodestar C live on NSN if you can? As you know it does not cost anything to sign up and start broadcasting and this would be an excellent way for all of us to see these pictures in near real-time as they appear on your screen. The software would be great to use as long as it is done "on the fly" with no post processing. So how about it are you up to the task?

Clear skies,

Chris A
Astrogate

#8 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:04 PM

Second that Chris!

#9 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

I think the question that Curtis has brought up but over looKed is very important Maurice and I also would love if you could do a demonstration using your Lodestar C live on NSN if you can? As you know it does not cost anything to sign up and start broadcasting and this would be an excellent way for all of us to see these pictures in near real-time as they appear on your screen. The software would be great to use as long as it is done "on the fly" with no post processing. So how about it are you up to the task?
Clear skies, Chris A Astrogate

Thanks Chris - I don't have suitable Lodestar-C on-the-fly s/ware for NSN so until I do that won't be possible.

Unlike your videocam I've no knobs and button to tweak PRIOR to exposure so it must be done post download via s/ware and thus contravenes your rules - see Puck's recent and stunning Lodestar images and reference to s/ware issues ;)

#10 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

I would like to see them in the "before" state myself!

#11 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

I don't have suitable Lodestar-C on-the-fly s/ware for NSN so until I do that won't be possible.

Unlike your videocam I've no knobs and button to tweak PRIOR to exposure so it must be done post download via s/ware and thus contravenes your rules - see Puck's recent and stunning Lodestar images and reference to s/ware issues ;)

Maurice,

I understand your points. You could however still broadcast on NSN if you use a capture/redirect software app like WebCamMax. With that software you would identify an area of the screen you want to broadcast (the window displaying the image). WebCamMax then continuously captures the contents of that area and presents it as a video stream that looks like it comes from webcam device. Flash can then pipe that stream through to NSN.

The delayed or post download processing of that image is not unlike what happens with some aspects of Miloslick. The video controls you mention actually only work on a captured image when you're discussing a video image on the PC. Even with a video monitor the manual controls are only working with an image once the longer (> 2s) integration/exposure has completed.

Ideally the SX software would have a "broadcast on NSN" function added to it but I understand how that's not likely to happen. There's lots of other popular software also waiting for that capability.

#12 Chris A

Chris A

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

I agree with Mark! Maurice WebcamMax would do what you need to do in order to show the Lodestar in near real-time on NSN.

Clear skies,

Chris

#13 Relativist

Relativist

Skylab

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

Thanks Chris - I don't have suitable Lodestar-C on-the-fly s/ware for NSN so until I do that won't be possible.

Lets hope that changes soon. I'm not 100% sure but it sounds like there may be software in the works to help. I've also tried to ask those already on NSN that use the Lodestar as autoguiders to broadcast with them, with no luck whatsoever. :bawling:

In any case I will need an Autoguider myself, and I want to try AO one day... hmmm.... :question:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics