Photo

Maybe someone here can help (Celestron cant)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ke4kso

ke4kso

Vostok 1

• Loc: Chiefland Fl.

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

I recently bought a Nexstar 11 Gps (my dream scope) turns out its an early model ver 1.2 hc ver 1.0 mc it has the vibration and tracking problems the first ones were noted for. So I tried contacting Andre at Astrogeeks to get the mc hc flashed no luck. So I contacted Celestron support, who basically told me discontinued product no motor control board available. So by doing some research I found out the Nexstar 11 and the I series scopes seem to share the same board NXW200 And celestron has the I series board in stock, But tech support told me that they cannot guaranty that it will work, but they told if mine has the autoguide and aux port it will fit. Which mine has. so before shelling out almost 300 bucks for a new board I thought I would try to get some feedback here. Thanks David

#2 ke4kso

ke4kso

Vostok 1

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

Dear David,

We can't guarantee that this board NXW200 will work for your Nexstar 11 GPS. You must have 3.0 or higher so that the board will work. If you have the Aux port and autoguider the board will fit. This was the last email I received from them. I don't know what she means by I must have 3.0 or higher, that's what I am trying to get. I also told them I don't care about level and north, I also told them I have a new Nexstar + hc to use with it. But something fitting and working correctly are two different things to me. So they have me confused. David

#3 TK6411

TK6411

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Antonio, Tx

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:20 PM

David,

I also have the Nexstar 11 GPS - welcome to the club. Yes, they are the exact same part number and part - NXW200. I don't know why Celestron support didn't understand that. Probably just their standard answer regarding an older discontinued scope.

You should have no problem as the newer MC board will have at least ver 3.0 firmware and is user upgradable and may have a newer ver firmware already installed. I would recommend you check out the Nexstar Resource Site which has links to instructions on replacing the MC board. Good luck.

Jim

#4 ke4kso

ke4kso

Vostok 1

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:01 PM

Thank you very much, that's all I needed to know. which they would or could not tell me. Here's the last email I received from them Dear David ,

The ver 4.06 is a user flashable MC. Upgrading the electronics would mean that you would have to ship your mount to our facility with an RMA non warranty. Our repair technician would upgrade all the electronics on your mount. Upgrading the mount would mean you would lose the north level and gain the Skyalign procedure
Thanks again David

#5 TK6411

TK6411

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

David,

You are welcome. I have had many hours over the years dealing with Tech Support from both Celestron and Meade and understand the source of your frustration. And no need to ship the mount to Celestron its easy enough to do. Just take your time and follow the Nexstar Resource Site instructions and you will be fine.

BTW, you would only lose the North/Level function while using the newer Nexstar + hand controller. You still retain that function by using the Nexremote software and selecting ver 1.6 or 2.2 firmware or by using an older Nexstar Hand controller with 1.6 or 2.2 ver firmware. But honestly SkyAlign works great and while I still use a Hand Controller with ver 2.2 I don't think its all that much different when it comes down to it. Alignment is simple and effective either way - GPS Align or Sky Align...not much to worry about. Both are good.

Jim

#6 ke4kso

ke4kso

Vostok 1

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

The nexstar resource site is fantastic, I have been a automobile technician most of my life, so I do not anticipate any problems taking the handle and cover off to replace the board, I had almost decided to sell it because of the weight but after finding the problems I could not sell without fixing it first, I also have the option of deforking and using it on my cg 5 asgt mount, which works great with my nexstar 8 ota, but may be a little bit light for the 11. anyhow looks like I will be ording the board in the next week or so. I will update on how it works. 73 David

#7 Whuppy

Whuppy

Explorer 1

• Loc: Ortonville, MI

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:06 PM

So you tried contacting Andre as Astro Geeks and no luck? You mean he didn't reply or he cant help you? I recently talked to him about upgrading my HC and MC. I have the same scope and version as you. Flashing your MC will get rid of the vibration issues (bee in a can). I instead choose to flash my MC myself and I'm just going to buy a Nexstar+ HC.

Oh wait...you have MC version 1.0, My scope had Version 3.0

#8 ke4kso

ke4kso

Vostok 1

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

Hi Whuppy I sent a couple of emails to Andre but have not got a reply yet. How did you contact him? It may be months before I can afford to buy the board from Celestron if ever. So I sure would like to get this one flashed. Thanks David

#9 TK6411

TK6411

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

I would try again emailing Andre and see what he can do for you. Last option would be the MC board replacement.

Jim

#10 coinboy1

coinboy1

Messenger

• Loc: Tulsa, OK

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

I don't know about these problems but its good information to know! I recently bought a Nexstar 11 GPS and it has been an amazing scope! I haven't seen any problems with tracking on mine even with 120second exposures. Sorry for your problem. If I come across anything I will post here.

#11 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

Celestron has long gotten rid of it's experienced suppirt, now anybody that will leave fog on a mirror can work there.
I just wont call them unless it is in Warranty,
The people here in the forums are better help BY FAR than they are.
They dont even train about the older scopes at all! WHY? They want to sell you a new one..
Just like todays cars the mounts are designed as throw away after warranty. Meade is the same.
Sometimes Bill V. Gary H, or Donald R. will get pallet loads of parts. It really is a shame too.
But you can't get CHEAP and good Tech at the same time,
or at least that has been my experience.. good luck Bro

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics