#1 Xeroid

Xeroid

Vostok 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

Greetings,
Just an observation seeking your thoughts on the ZEQ25GT bubble Level:
1. I level the tripod minus the mount and it looks like figure A.) Tripod Level

2. I then place the mount onto the Tripod and the mount Bubble Level looks like figure B.) Mount bubble Level

Not a match! The mount round bubble level does not sit centered within the circle.

My question: In your opinion, which Bubble should I be using to level the ZEQ25GT? (..as I'm still learning how to do a Polar alignment..)

Thanks,
Tom

Attached Files

#2 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Vostok 1

• Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

Use your level, not the mount bubble level. Having said that, it's really the least important part of getting good performance from your mount. All that the leveling accomplishes in a GEM is to (other than keeping it from falling over) is to make the initial star alignment process easier. Once you've polar aligned the mount and performed the star alignment process it has no effect on goto's or even on guiding performance.
Rgrds-Ross

#3 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

Use your level, not the mount bubble level. Having said that, it's really the least important part of getting good performance from your mount. All that the leveling accomplishes in a GEM is to (other than keeping it from falling over) is to make the initial star alignment process easier. Once you've polar aligned the mount and performed the star alignment process it has no effect on goto's or even on guiding performance.
Rgrds-Ross

Ross is absolutely right. A reasonable leveling will ensure the first go-to star will fall into your field of view with minimum effort to center it.

Oh, you might want to switch the pin on your tripod, the polar scope is much easier to get to when the pin is over the front facing leg. I don't know why iOptron ships the tripods that way to begin with?

It's more important to establish a reference level point, rather than an absolute level (unless you're on a stationary pier). Then square the RA and DEC axes to the reference level point, and you can easily setup night after night.

Cheers and good luck with the Z...

Paul

#4 Xeroid

Xeroid

Vostok 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

Ross, Paul:
Thanks for the quick reply and recommendations. Your expert opinions are much appreciated.

Good catch! No wonder I was scrunching my head trying to use the Polar scope with the North alignment pin in the wrong hole!!
Tom

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics