Settings for the Orion AllSky Camera II

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 unger61

unger61

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

I recently acquired the Orion AllSky Cam 2 and it is finally set up in my backyard. The sky is moderately light polluted here. After having spent hours to get the focus as good as possible I have spent a while playing with the different settings of the camera via the AllSky cam interface.
I am a bit disappointed in the image quality of the unit but I believe I can improve the quality a bit with the right settings. I was wondering if the are many users of this cam on CN? If yes could you share your cam settings for the meteor capture with me?

Cheers

Clem

#2 groz

groz

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Campbell River, BC

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

I have no clue about the orion all sky unit, but, I can offer an example of what you could consider the 'finish line' in trying to achieve good data from the camera. Keep in mind, youtube encoding does destroy the overall quality, but, this will give you some thoughts.

http://youtu.be/X6NAcNfrs1U

I ran 15 second exposures all night with our unit (Starlight Xpress Oculus), which produced a huge stack of fits frames. I set up a script to use imagemagik convert to turn them all into jpegs, with automatic stretching etc. Once that was done, fed them all into mencoder to produce the movie.

A few airplanes, lots of satellites, and some meteors thru the night. It took me a couple days of fiddling before I had things working the way I wanted, but now we are really happy with the results coming out of it.

Next part of the project, writing some programs to detect meteor and satellite trails, in an automated way.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics