• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Roragi

Roragi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madrid, Spain

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

Hello everyone, my name is Robert and I am new to the forum, I finally decided to register and join the community of astronomical sketches.
To begin sent one of my last observations Caroline's Rose, this object is magnificent even in my old scope, was the first time that pointed to the rose and left surprised at her appearance in globular cluster. Who say it is? Open?
I do not know how to show the sketch as you do, if someone is kind will be eternally grateful.
Sorry if my English does not sound properly because my level is basic and I can communicate through the translator.

Greetings from Spain.

http://imageshack.us...es/42/ohtc.jpg/

Attached Files

#2 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Beerpuddle, Colorado

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:09 AM

Nice sketch!
I've had the same question about the classification of this object as an open cluster. It sure doesn't look like other open clusters that I'm familiar with. Hopefully, someone here will enlighten us both.

Tu Ingles tan mejor de mi Espanol. Pero no es lo dijo mucho.

#3 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:51 AM

Welcome to CN! This is a fine sketch and I hope to see a lot more sketches in the future.

#4 dgg99

dgg99

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:01 AM

Great sketch! I've seen this cluster many times and is probably the best cluster in Cassiopeia.

Excelente dibujo, felicidades!

#5 Carol L

Carol L

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

Hi Robert, welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your sketch with us! Caroline's Rose is an open cluster containing many faint stars - the combined glow from these faint, unresolved stars is what makes it 'glow' like a globular cluster.

Being able to detect the Rose's shape depends on the aperture of your telescope, and the condition of your sky. My sky is dark and the basic shape of the Rose can be detected through my 120 mm refractor, as shown in the first sketch below. When seen through larger aperture like a 16" Dob, the Rose's nebulosity is absolutely stunning.

We hope to see more of your sketches soon! :)

Attached Files

#6 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

Robert,

Welcome to CN.

Very good sketch of NGC 7789 (Caroline's Rose) :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#7 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:36 PM

Robert,

Welcome to the sketching forum.
You have a fine sketch of this old, populated, open cluster.
One of the very finest in Cassiopeia.

Frank :)

#8 Roragi

Roragi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madrid, Spain

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:25 AM

Thank you for the welcome and comments, knuklhdastnmr, Jef De Wit, Diego González, Carol Lakomiak, Tom and Frank.

Carol, thanks for the explanation, as well you indicate weak stars make it look like a globular cluster and feeling gaseous layer with small scopes, I have a dobsonian 10 "next week that the new moon appears I will see how larger diameter. With a refractor 150 from a fellow pink details were more apparent spiral shape and was very impressed, regarding the quality of the sky as NELM place almost always at least 6 hours or more 21.2 SQM bad. Very good your sketches rose with different instruments, someday will repeat the sketch with 10 "

See you soon, greetings.

#9 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • Moderators

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:37 AM

Here's an interesting contrast. Look What Was the Subject of Today's AOPD

#10 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • Moderators

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

Carol, those are very nice sketches. I've sketched this object, also. My notes show that I used 79x. I'm going to try it again at higher power, at the next opportunity. Sometimes that sketch offers the opportunity to tell the story of Caroline Herschel. She was an interesting lady. I enjoy telling it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics