Photo

How is the rotary barrel adjustment engaged?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wigg

Wigg

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

I have just unpacked my brand new 3.5 Questar and have yet to take it outside. Does anyone know how I should go about rotating the barrel.
There is a rotary barrel adjustment screw shown in the manual, but no explanation as to what to do?
I would appreciate any help as I do not want to break my new scope.

#2 ColoHank

ColoHank

Vanguard

• Loc: western Colorado

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

The connection of the barrel to the control box is spring-loaded. To rotate the barrel, just grasp it firmly and turn it. Rotation is limited to about 45 degrees left and 45 degrees right.

The rotary barrel adjustment screws (there are four of them) would enable you to adjust that spring tension. Frankly, I wouldn't worry about the tension. The factory setting will probably last for the life of the scope -- a long, long time.

By temporarily removing the eyepiece holder, it's also possible to rotate the barrel 180 degrees and to swivel the entire optical tube through the yoke arms so the RA slow motion control is on the operator side of the base and the plastic index is on the far side. Some people like that set-up because the view through the finder is less obstructed by the RA when viewing at extreme negative declinations. I'm not one of those people.

#3 Wigg

Wigg

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

Thank you for the information, all that was needed was a little extra force.
It is a shame that the eye piece holder is not a few mm higher to allow full rotation. Thanks again for info.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics